Time Frame on next book

Welcome To Astlan Forums Into The Abyss Time Frame on next book

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 282 total)
  • Author
    JMX

As far as the series goes is it going to be one book release per year?

Rosver

Ummm. You might be a bit mistaken of calling this text based games or ascii art type (?) games as video games. I think they are not. If you want a very early representative of video games, then spacewar should be it.

———-

Well, it is true that we should distinguish between bad technology/special effects and bad story but movie making technology in those times is severely lacking compared to the technology we have now. Early movie making is very tedious. For example it takes several minutes of scanning, cutting, and pasting what we could do now in with a few mouse clicks.

There is also the fact that movie making technology is very new then. There is little experience then of making a quality movie and how to use the medium to tell the story.

I could understand if they make some horrid movies at those very early times due to its infancy. But that is not quite true now. At least they could make something at least middling with all the developments and experience, but shitty? In quite large numbers?

But… then… I don’t know. It seems, even bad films (for me) seems to be quite successful still. Maybe story isn’t really that important in movies?

———-

Thanks for the clarification. That is quite confusing one there.

Well, Exador’s cover is blown anyway. The others whould act by then.

Tizzy

Yes, I’m not an alcoholic, I just like my TV.

Tizzy

Admission to the Beta Demon program requires an application signed in blood.

Since blood is hard to transmit over the internet, we’ve substituted the use of [color=red]red fonts[/color] in place of blood. So we just need you to request it in a [color=darkred]red font![/color]

Thank you in advance for your soul.

Yes, I’ve wondered about that. I think part of it can be environmental, e.g. right book, right time; it hits your current mood/outlook and generates a positive emotion/good time. And part of it is just the outlook of the characters match your outlook, or resonates with it because maybe it’s not your outlook but one you can ‘get.’

But I also think there is something about how much the author likes the book that improves the quality of the book. Does they author really get into the story? And can they successfully share that enjoyment with the reader.

You see this with really big name authors who end up churning out book after book for the money, not for the story. Often times such $ books seem soulless.

An example I like to go with is Piers Anthony’s Incarnations of Immortality. He clearly loved writing the first book, On a Pale Horse, and I can reread that again and again. But each successive book gets more and more soulless, like he’s just going through the motions to finish the idea, when he’s actually fallen out of love with the idea but needs to make the thing ‘complete’

This is also why I don’t mind waiting for someone like GRRM to finish ‘the next book’ (as long as he doesn’t die of old age first) because to make it good, he has to ‘feel’ the story and enjoy it. Now of course, that being said, I don’t know if it would be possible to reread all the Ice and Fire books a crap load of times, because one would die of old age oneself while doing so…

Rosver

@lume

I’m frutrated! ](*,) Especially when you say that lampshading makes things consistent when that is not what lampshading do. It also seems that you are ganging on me. Tizzy is giving a “hint hint’ now.

I would read what you will write, but then I guess I would just end criticizing it. I try to answer calmly and give contributions instead.

@Madfox

Those towns are preserved. There are laws against doing drastic changes there. There are even laws against building modern constructs there. The Court of Chaos obviously doesn’t have such laws. I don’t even think they have laws there. Without any opposition against change, those demons would have make the cityscape change all the time.

Well, I doesn’t mind it that much too but don’t think that they don’t have impact to the story. Think of X-men. It was mutant genes that give them those powers. We know that genes don’t do that (control the weather, pffft!). Now think if, it was more ‘realistic’ then these mutants wouldn’t exists and no more X-men. These details have great impact and are vital, even if they are wrong. The story would not have existed without these details.

I know its illogical but people here is trying to justify them so much. So why don’t you just accept that it is illogical? Why make excuses?

[quote]Besides, even in our own real world things have been found to be true that would be considered weird and illogical before and it takes dozens of people and years of work to provide the asnwers you seek.[/quote]

Wait man. It is simple observation. It don’t need much knowledge to know that silk would be ruined if exposed to high temperatures. That the piano would be damaged if put close to a radiator. And that people will die of heatstroke. Then whe are these things are not happening here?It is odd. We don’t need to be philosophical for this.

And my suspension of disbelief isn’t jarred yet. I enjoyed it, haven’t I? And have read the book many many times. Again and again and again. And I still like it, and maybe that is why I see such things (there is lots). But there is nothing wrong to pointing out the flaw especially when we talk about the book itself.

I said before that I hope that something good comes from this. In X-men we get super cool chracters like Wolverine and powers too. How about here? What to expect with all this? It seems to be of no purpose in book 1. I do hope something would come out of it in book2. The author break physics so he must have a plan or something for it. But what is it?

Tizzy

Yes, things have been pretty simple and straight forward to date. They are about to get complicated.

And of course, even if Tom etal try to tell people the truth, no one will ever believe them.

Would you? 🙂

Tizzy

Shameless also makes one drink.

Tizzy

Excellent…

We are most grateful your T-Rex majesty!

Hey anybody out there ever have roast dinosaur?…oops…that was a spoiler from book ii…(it really is–I didn’t realize it until after I typed the joke)

Attolis

(to the author)

I just registered to say that if you want beta readers, i’m volunteering for the job (please let me do it), and if there is any way I can convince (bribe) you into giving me the job, please let me know .

Cali’x

Can i also be one of the Beta-readers?

I’m ignoring the 60’s and half the 70’s for video games.

computer gaming, as we know it now, or as we are discussing it now did start on main frames and minicomputers in the 70’s and then migrated to apple’s and pc’s, vic20/commodor 64, atari etc. I don’t mean console games, in this case we are talking things like Dungeon (which was a text based video game that used text characters to represent walls in a dungeon and *’s for monsters (or maybe people and & was a monster, don’t recall) and you fought with keyboard commands…and of course Zork and all the various similar text based video games.

They were primitive, but fun adaptations of choose your own adventure and RPG’s.

I think it’s very important to distinguish bad technology/special effects from bad story. Michael Bay is the example for incredible look and feel and special affects with no story whatsoever. District 9 for example, is much lower grade FX but much better story.

Gotta run for moment…more later.

ziipoo

ok that sounds great when the beta starts I will dust of the old idea creater and see if it still can spit out something good.

Also regarding cover selection I would say the best covers are those that are more than simply intriguing. When you read the book and look at it again it should make you go “aah so thats it/why!”, in my opinion.

Tizzy

Milk? I hope it’s not in a paper carton, that could be messy to pickup.

Cool!

Tizzy

Tizzy

I suppose that should work…

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 282 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.