Rambles and Speculations

Welcome To Astlan Forums The Apostles of Doom Rambles and Speculations

Viewing 15 posts - 136 through 150 (of 347 total)
  • Author
    Gelcube

A couple of amusing things popped into my thoughts this morning.

What if…

There are geeky demons that trade the equivalent of trading cards for major demons, gods, and other extra-planar creatures. Maybe that’s why Lesteroth knows about Sekhmekt. He has her card! It’s likely a rare foil, too. How long will it be before Tom gets a card? And leading into that…

How long before Tom has to deal with GROUPIES. Would they call themselves Tommies? Mmm, FanToms?

Gelcube

[quote=Tizzy;3054]The big problem Tom has at this moment is that he brought most all of his link buddies to the Abyss; and thus he had no easy way to return them to their homeworlds/cities. That will have to change; he will need more independent mechanisms to travel the planes.
    [/quote]

I wonder how the other Demon Princes and archdemons do that? It seems they can pop up just about anywhere they like.

Tizzy

Yes they do.

They must of learned some secret. There is discussion of this in Book 3.

There are two things that make this difficult

1) finding the right plane out of a infinite number
    2) finding the right place on the right plane, when presumably most planes are close to infinite
    3) once you get the right planet (assuming there are planets–not the case in the Abyss) you got to find the right continent, the right spot and make sure it is not occupied.

You note how gods and saints always appear to followers? I think they are following the links to those followers and just somehow creating a portal out of nothingness.

This question has probably been asked many times but when is the 3rd book coming out because fire is currently pouring out of my eyes because my daily dose of DOA is extremely low

Tizzy

T-A-G hasn’t said; other than there is a good 3 month lag” between the first draft and publication. This is for beta reading/editing and sending it to the editor.

At the moment T-A-G is writing two related books, The Chronicles of Astlan: Into the Wilds which will join up with DoA in late book III or maybe IV. And DOA:AOD. This is to expand on things happening elsewhere that are related/important, but is split off for more detail and less POV swapping.

AOD is further along word count wise, but CoA:ITA will probably come out first since its (in theory at the moment) about half the size of AOD.

Gelcube

Any excuse to party, I suppose. D’Orcs seem to take their parties really seriously. I kind of like that.

I hope one of these short stories you and T-A-G have been teasing us with mentions some of this stuff.

Tizzy

They used to take them very seriously (so to speak–party hard), but I am pretty sure the last 4000 years was a bust on that front.

They lost most of their offworld access overtime. From what I’ve overheard, they had some shamans that might have been able to go off world for a while but after those guys gave up and died, they were stuck in the abyss.

Now, they could have traded with other groups in the Abyss, they said they did; using the mineral wealth of doom, but not sure what the other groups might have had for booze. Plus, I suspect they were fairly sad parties since they were all suffering from massive depression and despair…so I can only imagine all their parties were pity parties.

That might be interesting, I am pretty sure Antefalken could do some interviews to get stories from the interregnum and, of course, I could tell some stories of the Orcus days…at least those that I remember. After a while, I mainly showed up for the parties, and I don’t completely remember many of those…as I said they were very good parties.

Tizzy

Hmm, I like this idea just on general principle. Demonic slavery is an abomination, a stain upon the souls of mortals.

Pretty sure every church teaches this: summoning, binding and controlling demons, and other agents of darkness is a SIN; it is Evil!

That is one of the few things I can agree with them on.

Of course on the other hand, demons binding wizards as warlocks is a Public Service. Someone has to control these insane wizards who go around randomly summoning very dangerous demons. Bystanders often get dismembered! Very irresponsible of these wizards.

AND! Since we demons already live in the Abyss, and are “by definition” damned to eternal torment and agony, any sin or evil attached to stealing the free will and soul of a wizard is pretty negligible compared to our over all evil levels; which, by definition are all at 100% or higher.

Gelcube

[quote=Tizzy;3073]
    AND! Since we demons already live in the Abyss, and are “by definition” damned to eternal torment and agony, any sin or evil attached to stealing the free will and soul of a wizard is pretty negligible compared to our over all evil levels; which, by definition are all at 100% or higher.[/quote]

Not to take attention away from my most awesome idea of Lenamare’s other demons showing up in AOD, and I may regret asking this, but…

How evil would you have to be for your overall evil levels to be OVER 100%?

Tizzy

I will leave that question for Lillith.

She’s the best judge of evil.

Although by her normal metric, the most evil is probably her “husband” Sammael. Although I suspect that is more just vitriol.

In fact, I am sure, if he claimed to be the Supreme Evil (and he often does) she would object and call him a goody-two-shoes pansy.

Love, it’s a splendiferous thing.

Gelcube

Oh, oh! Another thought popped up!

Ok, I’ll have to re-re-re-read the appropriate section, but I don’t remember Lenamare and/or Jehenna actually mentioning Tom’s new possible “status” to Hortwell/Trisfelt in THH. Now, I doubt Trisfelt would summon any demon, it’s just not his forte’, but Hortwell might. Since I’d like to see him and Zargoffelstan again, wouldn’t it be a hoot if Hortwell attempted to summon Tom now?

Tizzy

They have all seen the balling by this point.

Hortwell was in the Council Chamber the first time and was there getting drunk with the others afterward.

Hortwell didn’t do much in Book II; don’t recall the guy even getting any lines. I don’t know about wizards, but if were an actor, that would significantly affect his pay.

Hortwell strikes me as someone too prepared/paranoid to try summoning a greater demon that has flumuxed both Jehenna and Lenamare. In particular, he knows about the ring incident with Jehenna.

You know, I haven’t seen Zargy in a very long time. He was never big for hanging around the bars in the Courts. Mainly stuck to his cave. I should go visit him some time. Of course, there’s a lot of folks I haven’t seen in some time. That’s the problem with being as popular and widely admired as I am in the Abyss. Just don’t have the time for making as many social calls as I’d like.

It is odd, though, you’d think more of my friends would visit me?

Gelcube

D’Oh! You’re right. I forgot about the balling (that just sounds dirty every time). And Hortwell is far too careful to do something so rash. Still, I think it would be funny. Maybe Zargoffelstan will cross paths with Tom again! Don’t know why I like those two. I just think there’s some interesting stories there.

Edit: And Tizzy, you’re too concentrated. They can only take you in small doses! No one wants watered-down Tizzy.

Tizzy

You make it sound so simple and straightforward….

Yes, I agree with all your points, but that is just the appetizer; may I remind you of the following:

The Storm Lords of Nysegard are very pissed at getting routed. From their perspective, it looks like Excrement set them up.
    Of course, they are, or have, an Undead Army; and T-A-G keeps threatening more undead action.

As far as I know, the Inferno might be able to get to the Abyss, but do you seriously think they are going to stop and ask for directions?

My bet is that they might wander around for a bit trying to figure out where to go. Now presumably, someone in Oorstemoth knows where the Courts are, but they’ve been rather vague on that. On the other hand the Rod members or some priests will probably be able to detect Talarius, being the only current Tiernonite in the Abyss (except for visits from Sentir Fallon)

Of course there is also Melissance, who was/is a former high priest of Tiernon. Not sure how she’ll show up on the radar. So I’m thinking it’s a crapshoot as to where the boat people end up.

Then of course, you forget about the Lords of Chaos. They got routed and a very devastating secret has been exposed; their weakness to extreme cold was previously unknown. Clearly everyone that knows the secret (Doom, Lillith, Djinnistan–if the LoC know that Djinnistan knows) has to be destroyed.

Plus once they figure out that Lillith used the Chaos Maelstrom to preserve the status quo rather than up end it they are going to be pissed at Lillith.

And the Djinn are beefing up their presence in Astlan to protect Turelane from getting Abanciad by Exador–now that they are free to attack Exador/defend Turelane from Exador their presence will be known.

Now, might I also remind you that the Alfar are in high freakout mode and are marshaling their forces on multiple planes to defend the localverse from the Return of Orcus.

Of course, with Alfar Armies Assembling, the dwarves are going to freak the frack out and start marshaling their forces…

Which puts the Grove in a very precarious position. which is why Trevin launched the Nimbus in the first place…

Now, you may not have noticed, that while Tom has no plans to conquer the Planes of Man, the D’Orcs are literally ‘hellbent’ on the Restoration of Glory and turning the Planes of Man back into the Planes of Orc.

Oh, and then there is that small problem in the sub-basement of Doom. But you don’t know about that yet.

Gelcube

So I was trying to determine who exactly is left in the glade with Gastropé after Tom vacates to destroy the Chaon Maelstrom.

I’ve got Damien, Vaselle, Ragala-nargoloth, Tal-Gor, Farsooth, and Beya. Not sure about those last two, but I think so. So we have all of them in Murgatroy with Jenn, Hilda, Beragamos, Stevos, the Nimbus, and a bunch of alvar bent on destroying Tom.

…no, this won’t be a problem. Nossiree.

Viewing 15 posts - 136 through 150 (of 347 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.