Rambles and Speculations

Welcome To Astlan Forums The Apostles of Doom Rambles and Speculations

Viewing 15 posts - 331 through 345 (of 347 total)
  • Author
    Mikey

[quote=Tizzy;3691][SPOILER]you can only imagine what something the Denubians find frightening must look like. 8-[ [/SPOILER][/quote]
    What’s a [spoiler]Denubian[/spoiler]?
    [youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vHLJfxfXHBg[/youtube]

EyeDeKay

I wonder how hydra brains work. Does it mean all the brains work in tandem or are they distinct thinking patterns. And what would happen if they grew 20 heads then kill their attacker. Do they suck the heads back in. Or does they kinda die of like snake skin. These obviously important question can also work for hydra hounds. Also different topic can demons move while their regenerating or are they “asleep”. Or can they abandoned their body and sorta reincarnate a new one like the demon dragon back in Tom’s cave.

Tizzy

This is weird, I wrote a response to this, swore I posted, but it is not here.

Argh. Must have been eaten by one of the hydra puppies I snuggle with at bed time when I am at Mount Doom.

So, going to be briefer this time:

From my personal experience, hydra creatures seem to have a distributed brain/nervous system. I say this because if they were different individuals, then newly generated heads/brains in battle would be confused, scared, unable to properly control/adjust. Like a hydra puppy, or any newborn. Given that new heads seem to grow ready to go…I think memory/brain function is distributed.

Obviously there are some problems that this doesn’t explain. Chop off both heads, 4 new regrow, ready to go. Crush both heads, without breaking spinal cords and they are dead, or at least dead enough that you can get away from them. Haven’t actually sat around to see if the heads regenerate.

On the other hand, I’ve known some jotunn with multiple heads. They are always two people, often one is much smarter than the other, but not always.

On my third hand, demons with multiple heads—not clear–I would think they would be a single person as it’s a “form” but many of them act like separate, or semi-separate people. I suspect that they are mostly one person trying to psych out/disconcert/distract those they are dealing with.

On the same hand, there are also plenty of demons with multiple personalities, so you could have a case where different personalities inhabit different heads.

On my fourth hand, there are two headed living dragons. I have seen both there. I think if they are hydra-dragons, they are basically like hydra’s. If their heads don’t grow back, then they could be two people. I do not know enough of those to say.

Demons, at least us lesser ones, regenerate continuously, but if we sleep we regenerate faster because it’s a function of how much mana can we collect and dedicate (subconsciously) to regenerating. [SPOILER]This was seen in Book II Beta and will be seen in Book 3[/SPOILER]

Bigger demons, with large reserves can just reform, like Tom does. However, most of us do not have the reserves, or would be very heavily drained if we did that.

Iume

Reading the Who’s Who. Possible insights to Book 3?

Casper Cranshall – Captain, Elias Stevensword – Executive Officer.
    Seems the cut material from Bk2 will be back in Bk3 instead of being a side story? Maybe even a major plot thread?

Too inappropriate a theme song for Gaius (Caius), Sir. Knight Rampant of Tiernon? Also,
    [youtube]yjJDBP292rM[/youtube]

Marcus, The Immortal – Professional Provocateur
    A possible trickster god? Reincarnation of Loki or the hidden 4th member of those who built Mount Doom? Maybe even… Tizzy’s secret identity?

Moorecock – Dimensional Helmsman, Halferth – Chief Sorcery Officer. Possible crewmembers of the Inferno? Perhaps they will be stranded / captured in the Abyss?

N – Historian and Sage of Worlds
    “Adventurer seeking passage on Captain Asmeth’s ship.” Asmeth is alive and not arrested by the Rod? He was not eliminated by Oostermoth after the Rod was done w/ him? Interesting and who is this mysterious N? At least he/she isn’t X.

Ahh some good catches there!

T Captain Cranshall, Elias Stevensword, Moorecock, Halferth are in fact crew members of the Inferno who you will meet in Book 3. I actually forgot putting them there already. Maybe Tizzy did.

Marcus, N, and Tibs are three of the individuals who stole the book for Lenamare. They had a story line that was cut from Book 2 and should hopefully reemerge in their own book/series with Captain Asmeth and crew. Either as a side series “Seas of Astlan” or as part of Chronicles of Astlan. Have not quite decided.

People were finding it distracting because they did not see how it fit into the immediate plot. So that gave me the idea of doing the side series for side/related plotlines that provide more background and detail on what is going on.

Skaar

Just read book two again and was wondering what order are the D’Orcs. I mean when they were attacked by Liliths forces they easily crushed them, and I figure that there were second and third order demons in there, so was wondering if The D’Orcs were forth order or if they varied like regular demons. :-k

Iume

3rd to 4th. I do not recall where it was but I recall reading that. Unless it was in the prior beta and was removed.

Puck

3rd to 4th sounds about right. As for crushing Liliths forces, they ‘are’ the Orcs. Battle hardy and blood thirsty orcs, most are or were taught by the best orcs around as well. Liliths puny forces are ran on fear and greed

Yes, I think that was me saying that in book 2.

First generation D’Orcs are almost all either 3rd or 4th order because they were very powerful orcs to get promoted. Then you add in the circumstances and how many people were at the ceremony and their thoughts just like those summoning a demon. See book 3 for more information.

The big thing to remember is that these classifications are measurements of observed ability, they are not “fixed” categories. I.e. they are defined by outsiders, in the case of these demon levels, that’s generally wizards, priests, animages trying to classify them.

Since wizards don’t summon D’Orcs, they’ve never been classified, but in theory could be.

D’Orcs internally work on merit and experience, just like orcs or humans in an army etc.

So of course, later generation D’Orcs, born D’Orcs can be lower level. For example Fer Rog is only 10 years old (roughly—with Doom’s night/day mechanism broke they had no way of measuring time–although they did seem to know how long Orcus had been gone) So he might not be that high. Except of course for the fact that he is learning magic/animagic so…that would make him more powerful, at least eventually.

On average, D’Orc shaman would be higher 4th’s or 5th’s. The Commanders and such are high 4th and 5th level. Arg-Nargoloth, Darg Krallnom are very powerful. Of course you will learn something much more about them in book 3 as they are “special” (read OLD) on a grand scale.

Now, where it gets trickier is in evaluating half D’Orcs….

:d/

Winter

tizzy you little minx, don’t be a tease

you cant just drop a statement like that into a room of ravenous book-a-holics
    suffering from severe withdrawal

EyeDeKay

Wonder if there are any planes that are the opposite of my current one history wise? Like a never defeated roman empire. Or America losing any wars they won revolutionary or civil etc.
    Is there a video game plane where the games are reality? The orcs have space faring clans, what are the video games like on these advanced planes? Not the orcs obviously, but human or any other game loving race.

EyeDeKay

Oh yeah they could create like cool guns where as Europe only has swords. Opposite as it were.

Mikey

[quote=Gelcube;3771]I haven’t seen it, but really the opposite would be the Native American Nations invading Europe.[/quote]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mongol_invasion_of_Europe

Tizzy

Yes, but was that really so much an invasion or a massive tailgating party?

Remember, they brought their bbq’s with them.

I love a good Mongolian Barbecue!

Of course, I suspect that the slav’s in Eastern Europe didn’t enjoy it as much, seeing as how they were what was barbequed but…

Nok’umbri

True, but there is always that one guy…

“Wow, this is amazing?”

“Oh, really? Thanks! It only cost an arm and a leg!”

“……”

Viewing 15 posts - 331 through 345 (of 347 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.