Demon power ups

Welcome To Astlan Forums Into The Abyss Demon power ups

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 163 total)
  • Author
    TheOtherGuy

Tizzy is referring to the three arch demons.

Rosver

Maou, that idea is something that won’t be explored in the books I guess.

Rosver

Well, Lenamare’s book is a very specific kind, its a macguffin. Essentially an object/person that the characters covet but do no actual thing in the plot. Its main purpose is to make the characters move. Many examples abound: the fountain of youth (many fantasy stories especially ones about the knights of the round table), pokemon badges (pokemon franchise), Kidnaped children/son/daughter (many stories like The Great Mouse Detective). All these things do is provide something for the characters to acquire which, adding some antagonist, creates tenion and conflict. Otherwise it have no other great purpose.

Well, I do know a phonebook do become a plot device. Remember Terminator? Terminator robot killed the victims in accordance to phonebook listing.

Rosver

Can’t they shape change to anything? I have asked a similar question before about demons shapeshifting to other creatures that aren’t human like elves, dwarves and ogres. Or could they shapeshift and take the form of other demons or a demon shape of their own imagination. Could they even shapeshift to animals like wolves, lions, and elephants. Or why don’t they do a partial shapeshift like making their reach longer or having extra sets of limbs.

Shapeshifting is amazing. I would love to have that ability if I choose among others.

Tizzy

All of Rosver’s points are valid reasons.

Plus, there are more planes than Astlan and many don’t have as advanced of defenses.

And not all fourths can transport that many people.

But also…the demons are rather parasitic. They need goods and services and the Abyss doesn’t have a lot of natural resources. So most demons who can transport stuff physically (vs fade in fade out) prefer to make money and accumulate power by being traders/importers.

Further, most of the demons capable of such travel have been around for quite some time, or are pretty smart to begin with.

Sure, mass slaughter is fun for a few centuries, but ultimately boring and not very fulfilling. Particularly since humans die a lot and aren’t much of a challenge.

BUT….and this is critical for BOOK 2….and it really trumps all other reasons….all the previous are just excuses used by archdemons and princes.

The reality is this:

There are Gods.

The Gods depend on their worshipers on the Planes of Men to maintain their rather exorbitant lifestyles.

So the Gods protect their worshipers.

if demons start raiding the gods’ mana generators, [b][i]they will come down and start kicking ass.[/i][/b]

And between the gods and their avatars…well…that’s not a fight a rational demon would want…

Maou

Animagic is knowledge used to aid natural talent, so would Tom’s overwhelming talent in linkmastery allow him to fashion mental constructs similar to the arrows that would allow him to siphon mana from those around him like the priest spell, but to greater effect. Frankly those people are undying vampires who won’t die because as you sustain damage they use your energy to heal themselves. While useful in weaker characters for fast growth they are monsters when fully grown. I mention this because I want to see Tom as blue or indigo for no other reason than the fact that none would believe talent would allow a newcomer so much growth so quickly. Also it would be interesting to see animagic mix like fire and earth for magma and steel, since they are often seen together. Also what happened to his energy blasts that he used to hit Lenamare?

Rosver

Hmmm. Why? Why are they nervous about it. Wouldn’t people be glad that their god help them?

smw

I don’t know about anyone else, but I am just trying to make it to the respectable “Demon” rank. Being called a sprite or imp is extremely demeaning.

And I am NOT writing this post just to inflate my numbers. Honest! 8-[

Tizzy

Apparently a lot of people who know what this book is, or think they do, think it is useful.

the problem is, they just don’t know how to open it. They haven’t been able to hack the lock on it. Of course, even if they get it opened, it will probably be encrypted text etc.

Madfox11

Not entirely useless, several powerful people really want it. Still a bit surprised Tom just gave it away. I always get very suspicious when powerful people who don’t care one bit about others start fighting over something. My first instinct is to try and destroy it… than again, I might have travelled too much in worlds like Greyhawk, Toril and Cerilia.

Maou

Is their anything akin to a shadow demon at a higher level like perhaps one of the rank IV+? I ask as that would be a very misleading demon. It would be darker and larger than other shadow demons, but it would still be a shadow demon.

Rosver

If people are so interested in history, why don’t they let the Seers scry it. They would provide a more accurate account of the past than rellying on the very unreliable brain for that. As it seems, Maelen and others seems to be a devote to the study of history. Maelen was able to recognize Ramses’ time warrior uniform even if it was not seen for a millinia.

Zutrak

[quote=Maou;435]This question is more about social status, demons have a hierarchy and they have slavery in the abyss. They will often fight each other for little reason, so why don’t demons ever just go to Astlan abduct a few somewhat attractive mortals and breed them to be their eternal slaves? They hate them to begin with and it gives them a group with a social standing below a rank 1. It sounds like something they would all agree to so why hasn’t it ever happened?[/quote]

not just that.. the thing is, from my point of view, why does wizards in Astlan still exist?, it was “easy” for a 4th demon to “transport” 2 peoples and 1 demon out of the abyss and tizz could kill his master “cuz he wasn’t bound by the summon orders, or something like that”, even if he couldn’t another demon could him “a favor” or something, cuz we’ll…demons usually help demons if they can.
    so… a wizzard only can summon “his” demmon if it’s in the abyss, and he can’t controll it if he don’t know where it is. There are few hundreds of 4ts and hundred or so of 5th.. (without counting the 6th cuz, well, i don’t know what/how they think)
    why then, they don’t go to Astlan and kill everything in sight?, rape womans, eat childrens, dunno whatever funny thing they could think? some could think that immortality is enough time to plan this.

😛

Tizzy

Much easier…thank you for doing that!

Rosver

Yeah. I make a mistake at that one. Holy grail, not the fountain, though the fountain is a macguffin.

And. Uhhh. I think you just become somewhat too conceited!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 163 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.