Demon power ups

Welcome To Astlan Forums Into The Abyss Demon power ups

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 163 total)
  • Author
    Tizzy

Interesting take. I think very plausible on the Tom front. I like the well analogy, that works pretty “well.”

On the god front, close as well, but I can’t say much since a lot of that is the topic of II and III.

However, one key thing in magic that is only barely alluded to on the site here, is the idea of a Mana Pool. A mana pool is basically a battery into which mana users pour mana to draw on at a later date. Typically they are made out of crystals, and are used hold mana for magic items. Thus magic items that cast spells get their mana from these pools, which have to be recharged periodically.

To recharge the magic item you have to take the item to a wizard (or priest or someone of the profession that made the item) and get it recharged.

Many of the amulets and rings that wizards (for example) wear are not “magic per se” but rather mana pools to give them additional mana reserves in combat. The wizard who makes the mana pool has a link to it and they can charge it or draw on it as needed.

There is also, I will say, an analog of this for deities and their avatars called a God Pool. It’s a giant well from which deities and their servants can draw power, and to which avatars funnel mana from priests from worshipers into.

Anskier

[quote=Tizzy;192]

Many of the amulets and rings that wizards (for example) wear are not “magic per se” but rather mana pools to give them additional mana reserves in combat. The wizard who makes the mana pool has a link to it and they can charge it or draw on it as needed.

There is also, I will say, an analog of this for deities and their avatars called a God Pool. It’s a giant well from which deities and their servants can draw power, and to which avatars funnel mana from priests from worshipers into.

[/quote]

I’m curious can demons have mana pools as well?

Maou

I’m fairly certain that demons are some form of mana construct. Instead of a material corporeal being, they are beings of energy aka mana. This would mean that a demon’s mana pool could be likened to their physical form as weakened demons tend to become somewhat incorporeal until they regain their strength. Most powerful demons can also use magic and have minor magical abilities so it might be safe to assume that all demons have mana pools.

Tizzy

Again, a very interesting concept…and probably right…since they don’t particularly have a permanent body to store mana in, some form of pool or pool like construct would perhaps be needed.

Book II will actually be talking about this sort of problem…

Maou

A demon can possess a body, so could a demon construct a soulless body and then possess it to create a solid form that could then be used to mask their demonic form. It would be perfect camouflage and they could survive the bodies death.

Rosver

There was a dicussion about demon shape shifting to humans. I had a question though, could a demon shape change to other ‘demonic’ form? Could they take a shape that is even larger than they where? Can they shape shift part of themselves (say make their claws bigger and longer) to make themselves more dangerous. Or use their shape shifting abilities in fighting (say extending their arms reach, or ven like Mr. FAntastic in Fantastic 4). Cause really these changes are what would I had tried first if I was capable of shape shifting. It seems the demons don’t seem to do so. Maybe this kind of shape changes aren’t possible in some way? Why not?

Also, if demons had infiltrated the humans (like what Exador did), then it stand to reason that they also had infiltrated other species. There might be a demon shapeshifting to an elf, a demon pretending to be a dwarf, etc. Humans, like Talarius, become very paranoid after knowing that, now, if the other species know about too, wouldn’t that also bring paranoia to them? By the way, it would be a big laugh to me if Tom shapeshift to be a dwarf. Hehehe.

Jonnyboi

LMAO and then when people say “little edyward”, he can just morph to “Big” Tom there ain’t nothing small about him. Tom’s thingy can best even Tizzy’s double thingy too.( no offense tizzy):-&

Tizzy

If only I could shape shift then we’d see who had the biggest double thingies..

The problem with shape shifting, and this is true for all shape shifters: therianthropes if you will is that maintaining the foreign form is very difficult, your body wants to go back to it’s default shape.

A wizard spell doesn’t have this problem because the shape is programmed into the spell and requires no effort for the subject/victim/wizard to hold the shape (as long as the mana holds up).

For others doing it more naturally, you really have to concentrate to keep it together. The more familiar the form, the easier it is to keep it together.

Thus you find in nature (Astlan) most therianthropes only have two forms. Their humanoid form and their animal form, and sometimes a hybrid form (werewolves are the most common)

The same is basically true for demons. Yes you can mutate bodyshapes etc, but it takes effort and is often not that stable/long lasting. Thus most demons settle on only a few shapes.

That being said, the older a shape shifting demon is, the more shapes it’s likely to have. You have to spend a lot of time in a shape to get it to feel “natural” or to “memorize” it, and if you don’t use it frequently, you have to work to bring it back. So, the older a demon is, the more time they’ve had to practice different shapes.

Exador has quite a few different human shapes, each generation is a new one and he has different aged versions of them. but as a rule, he stays in whatever human form he has all the time. Simply faking the aging process is enough work as it is. So he’s had probably the most forms of any demon, but he changes through them gradually and doesn’t go back (except perhaps to haunt someone)

Bess has multiple demon shapes, she has her human shape, and a couple different anthro cat shapes that we know about.

Ramses has a number of different human shapes that he’s used (he’s been all the Ramses’ on the timeline–he was doing the Exador thing) and he’s got several different demon forms, we saw a couple of them in Book 1.

But, you also need to keep in mind, a shape shifting demon will still look like it’s power level to demon sight. So even if Tom could shape shift to look like say Asmodeus or Lillith, it wouldn’t be particularly convincing (except maybe to a human–but how would they know what a Demon Prince looked like)

Maou

A demon’s body is put together by a wizard’s spell, so could a demon over time modify their body to be better than it was at it’s own creation. Like slowly upgrading a machine. Gradually upgrading an avatar in that you gradually upgrade equipment. The base avatar is the same, but the specs are all superior as they have higher values around the board.

Tizzy

I don’t see why not…at least for the really big ones.

Some of us can’t even change shape.

:-s

Rosver

Well, if Tizzy could shapechange, the first part he would change might be his privates.

If I had a super power, shape shifting would be it. It just have soo much potential especially in deception.

So Tizzy, demon shape shifting isn’t of much use in a fight isn’t it? Shape shifting is tasking it seems, but can’t partial shapeshift be easy? Shapeshifting your claws larger and longer, or increasing your arms length isn’t really that big a change. So why can’t they? Or maybe as Willis says: “If you ask me though, I’d just say the guy didn’t think of it at the time.” Really if demons haven’t thought, they might be just dumb in some areas.

And, as it seems, that other species wouldn’t be of much importance in the book isn’t it? More like background characters?

Maou have a good point.

Maou

This question is more about social status, demons have a hierarchy and they have slavery in the abyss. They will often fight each other for little reason, so why don’t demons ever just go to Astlan abduct a few somewhat attractive mortals and breed them to be their eternal slaves? They hate them to begin with and it gives them a group with a social standing below a rank 1. It sounds like something they would all agree to so why hasn’t it ever happened?

Rosver

@ Tinchog:

Well, there was the Anilords and the Time Warriors a thousand years ago which is really lead by an arcdeamon. It nearly succeed in inslaving entire Astlan I think. Still, there are people who rises up who are able to defeat the demon.

these ‘Demons’ also are still quite human in heart and body. Not to mention demons seem to be fighting with each other. So essentially these things might not really get into their mind that much.

There is also those people who seems to be dedicated at slaying them like the Rods. Wizards also arent’t really that helpless. There are really a large number of people who could fight demons.

Also there are demons who breed with humans. Antfalken seems to be a womanizer, sleeping with countless women and siring countless of children. He is an epitome of a deadbeat dad, creator of fatherless children it seems.

Rosver

Tizzy are you implying that Gods are going to appear in book 2. Wow! Looking forward to that.

I also would have included priest in my previous post but then the Rods quite include them.

Tizzy

Well I can say that the prospect of such a thing happening has the Carpet Club shitting bricks.

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 163 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.