Demon power ups

Welcome To Astlan Forums Into The Abyss Demon power ups

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 163 total)
  • Author
    Korwin

[quote=Rosver;933]Not that. The spoiler is the explanation, the mechanics of how things works. With the advance knowledge that we have, the sense of discovery and exploration is reduced. This sense of wonder and discovery is a typical fare in Fantasy. This is the very charm in Alice in Wonderland. We meet all those wacky characters and Wonderland’s curious logic for a great read.

I was kinda waiting for book two to explore the nature of demon bodies, their anantomy so to speak.[/quote]Arent we constantly asking for spoilers, here on this forum?
    If we count questions about how the world works as spoilers…

Tizzy

Hmmmm

I am old, and I can testify as to luck. Helps a lot.

I can’t tell you the name of the oldest demon in the book as she would certainly cook my privates over a hydrogen flame…let’s just say, she had this epic romance and then break up when her husband cheated on her with this ‘(rib) bone headed’ other woman.

The demon princes(es) are clearly the oldest demons, and generally power and age go together.

if you look at the timeline, you can see Exador is probably a few thousand at least. Ramses is over a thousand as well, and he didn’t just pop up that way….

This Bess person I’ve never met, so no idea how old she is.

Boggy is some 400+ years…he says exactly (or at least how long he’s been a demon)

Antefalken is a lot older than he looks. Check out the timeline for some ideas…plus Antefalken’s Reack on the map is named after him…really long, really old story…

Otherwise, I sort of have trouble remembering. I don’t think anyone is over a billion years old though…vast majority are several hundred to several thousand

Cthulu is really old, but I think he’s technically a god, as are his poker buddies, like that guy who gets really pissed when you mention his name, no, not that piss ant snake nosed Voldemort…who isn’t even a demon…just a necromancer…and not THE NECROMANCER (the one that had the rings made) who I have mentioned before…he’s really old too…but again…not sure if he counts as a demon…

Tizzy

Well…it’s complicated, but in short yes.

I say this because look at traditional astral travel.

If you are doing it the “right way” which is very mana intensive the following happens:

1) The astral traveler’s spirit leaves it’s body on it’s home plane and wanders the astral plane as a spirit.
    2) When it gets to the plane it wants to be on, (assuming it’s the case), it creates a body on that plane (via one of several mechanisms)
    3) It then animates that body. There is then a silver cord going between the two bodies and spirit hops between them.
    If the traveler with two bodies is on the astral plane, he/she/it will have two silver cords (or three)
    4) However, this is tricky to do as it’s very expensive and both bodies need to be kept safe and fed, bathed, relieved etc.

The unoccupied body, in other words appears to be a sleep or in a coma. It will die if not cared for.

Tom was out on the astral plane with his body in a coma. The wizards had to sever the silver cord, otherwise Tom could have eventually escaped back to earth and just stay there and it would have been very hard/expensive to get him back/off of earth (even if they knew that’s where he was)

Remember the comment about “he’s got a body stashed out there somewhere!” They knew Tom had a body somewhere, so they had to sever his ties to it in order to truly bind him.

So yes, what you are saying is definitely possible and in some cases being done.

Korwin

[quote=Tizzy;18]
    No demon in their right mind would believe Tom is only a few weeks old.
    It’s as inconceivable as Demons being “Good”
    [/quote]

The second sentence is also from an Demon perspective?
    Because why would Demons think a Demon could not be good?

The constant torture and long live will condition Demons to hate humans.
    But a young one who is powerfull enough to not get tortured…

Maou

Tom already knows that normally animus attracts mana, but when summoning that wizards use mana to attract animus, so with all his excess mana would it be possible to attract greater quantities of animus, which could then be used to attract mana, in a loop format as he siphons mana from his surrondings. Also it was mentioned that mana is most expressed when feeling strong emotions and that necromancers like fear. Would a demon stealing a God’s power cause enough people to fear him to gain a noticeable increase in his mana?
    Demon’s are just animus bound to a manabody, so if a mage could summon sentient animus and bind it unwillingly to a manabody, a demon should be able to summon non-sentient or excess animus in ones surroundings and insert it within themselves. People pick up more of simply by experiencing new things and travel, so it shouldn’t be to hard to acquire.
    Probably.

Maou

It’s about time, and you better not make us the better people. We should be petty and morally inferior or equal to those we subjugate. Those with the moral high ground should lose due to their self imposed restrictions. In reality evil triumphs over good and then rewrites history to portray itself in a better light. Clearly a book that reflects this aspect of the world would be a great read from the winners perspective.

Pandemonius

Is there a way for demons to rise in power?

Pandemonius

Could a demon power up if they’re given (or take) the refined magic of a god? It could heal their animus and make them stronger. I’m assuming that their animus is damaged when they’re turned into demons. It might just augment their animus. I’m pretty sure they can’t, but can they rise in strength with age? I’m just really curious.

Tizzy

Did you steal a copy of the second book? :-$ This is a big part of it.

Actually a complex question. The severing of the silver cord definitely hurts them. However, the binding spells that form the mana body imbue the new demon with lots of extra mana. This mana will help them attract more animus (particularly in Astlan) which is how most of them, particularly someone like Tom can start to do more, sort of like a snowball effect. To be clear, Demons can “level up” as they age, i.e. get more powerful with age, like a wizard. But like humans, most don’t. It is probably safe to assume that a good number of Arch Demons didn’t start out that powerful. But given 3-4 thousand years…

Now, as to the stealing pure God Mana….well this is completely unknown and is the subject of a LOT of freak out on the part of everyone. As far as anyone knows, and this includes Demons, Wizards, Priests and all the relevant deific types involved, no one has ever done this before.

For one thing, as will be discussed in volume ii, it’s nearly impossible to do as the priest-avatar link is, or should be, inviolable, sort of like a super encrypted VPN tunnel (in Earth Speak).

For a second thing, no one who knows anything about Gods would be stupid enough to do it. Because it’s really going to tick off the deity and his/her avatars and priests. I am thinking Tom might not have been particularly religious when on Earth, and so doesn’t take the Gods seriously enough.

But what we do know is, Tom did get a huge supercharging out of if and repaired his mana body on Astlan and had enough power to reverse a Holy Artifact of Tiernon (which will also be a subject of much consternation). Again, because this is IMPOSSIBLE to do. Yes, Tiernon or one of his Avatars could in theory do it, but no Demon should even be able to touch the thing.

Now, I’ve got to go harvest so more smokey smokey for my pipe. Just got to find where I put my pouch.

Later
    Tizzy

Pandemonius

Thanks! That’s all wonderful to know and to have cleared up. Lol. I was wondering about that in the first book. I read a lot of fantasy books and I was hoping for what your answers were. I think some of it was hinted at and some just makes sense.

From the explanations about animus and how demons are formed I inferred, (with my common sense of all things fantasy) that they are probably injured when first formed, which could take time to heal or be a permanent injury, I figured that the gods energy would heal that injury, and/or do something else since it’s super refined mana with some type of focus/aspect/property (I assume) of this gods realm. And since it healed what would have been a permanent injury to his animus that would have been fatal, well, I just figured that the mana that healed Tom might do more than just heal that injury.

Lol. I really like this system.

I’m really looking forward to when the other demons find out Tom is only a couple weeks old! Lol

Joe

First off, I find some of this is difficult (in a good way) because the ‘facts’ you’ve posted about demons and magic are written by humans – wizards/animages etc. That means (at least this is how I’ve interpreted it) that while all the ‘facts’ make sense, they’re not necessarily true.

Animus and mana seem to have a symbiotic relationship that is important to mana wielders. Do all mana wielders (aka people who don’t radiate their excess mana but instead store it) grow animus with age?

“stealing pure God Mana….well this is completely unknown and is the subject of a LOT of freak out on the part of everyone.” Is Ramses, Bess, Exador and others also aware of exactly how and what Tom did?

P.S. Are we ever going to figure out where Tizzy stores his pipe? :p

Tizzy

Why? Are you planning on stealing my pipe?

[-x

There are some secrets no mortal can comprehend.

No demon in their right mind would believe Tom is only a few weeks old. It’s as inconceivable as Demons being “Good”

Plus, if he’s only a few weeks old, where did Rupert come from? I have never seen another demon so close to being an exact copy of another demon before; so they are clearly related.

Mana Weilders and aging: There is…somewhere a discussion of that, an excerpt/interlude I need to find that…

Mostly, but not always. Some people grow old without learning much. Think of animus growth as being tied to experience, life experience specifically. The more you “live” the more you expand your horizons, the more you learn, the more you “stretch yourself” the more animus you gain.

A lot of people have “experiences” the question is, did you learn anything useful from that experience? Were you able to progress as a person, a worker, an artist a whatever? Typically the more and varied experience you have the more you are able to use what you’ve learned from this in more complex ways, ways that “make you more powerful” than someone that didn’t have those experiences.

It’s not tied to “wisdom” per se, as if that were a “stat” but think of older people, some are quite wise, learned and experienced and can relate and use that experience in various ways, and share it and teach it. Think of the Guru on the mountain. On the other hand, there are some people who at 70 or 80 are still just as naive, ignorant and unable to deal with the world than they could as a kid.

If you were to write a game based on the books then you’d try to correlate XP and Animus in some fashion. but it’s not exact because a game is just an approximation of what happens in the books and for that matter in real life.

So why are some people stuck their entire life at being a 5th level Electricians or Cab Drivers or Doctors for their entire life, but other people end up as 25th level Master Builders or Programmers?

Finally, never trust a human. They are always lying, promising not to hurt you and then torturing you for hours on end.

Only trust demons, we are the only reliable people in the universe. Except for Bess….that really hurt….

Tizzy

xenofixus

Just wanted to drop in for my first post and say that your responses are making me so excited for the next book that I am going to reread the first one… now…

Korwin

[quote=Tizzy;6]
    But what we do know is, Tom did get a huge supercharging out of if and repaired his mana body on Astlan and had enough power to reverse a Holy Artifact of Tiernon (which will also be a subject of much consternation). Again, because this is IMPOSSIBLE to do. Yes, Tiernon or one of his Avatars could in theory do it, but no Demon should even be able to touch the thing.
    [/quote]

Another question:
    Did it permanently change him somewhat? Like he registers more on an non demon spectrum?

xenofixus

[quote=Korwin;58][quote=Tizzy;6]
    [/quote]

Another question:
    Did it permanently change him somewhat? Like he registers more on an non demon spectrum?

[/quote]

This seems like a question that would be answered in the next book to some extent. At least I completely see the preists of Tiernon and those demons who saw what happened scrambling everywhere to figure out what happened.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 163 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.