Tom’s power level

Welcome To Astlan Forums Into The Abyss Tom’s power level

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 125 total)
  • Author
    Maou

Tom also believed he was hallucinating and quite high. Being stoned out of your mind, in a literal sense and seeing your cold unresponsive body in your trip, he thought the voice was a doctor, till it got all creepy. Still all that God mana has to do wonders on his body. I kind of want to see him start either consuming other manabodies like angels, demons, dragons(still demons), whatever necromancer summon purely with mana, etc.. It would be quite demonic and angel slaying is something all hellspawn do in video games. Its funny how in some games angels are evil for trying to purge humanity, yet people are still not thankful after being saved. Also why do heroes get to be kleptomaniacs, and yet thieves other than the hero are hunted with extreme prejudice. Nice theft in story by the way.

Madfox11

Hey now, thieves whether heroes or not are always prosecuted by from whomever they stole. It is just that the hero usually kills their targets and then takes the loot. Few creatures can complain from the grave 😉

Rosver

Lol. The topic gets sidetracked… as it always does.

I only use two email address. Doesn’t like to keep track of many of them at once. I had tried before and just delete them.

As for writing slow… I quiet symphatize. I’m quite impressed that The Author Guy manage to write such a big project. I tried writing before (I’ve write some short stories and tried to write a novel), and it is damn difficult. Sometimes I had the desire hit my head with the keyboard to alleviate my frustration. Never finished my book and is still now haunted by it. It keep popping back in my head and I often found myself working it in my brain.

Tizzy

Hmm,

Your keyboard banging may explain why last time I saw T-A-G he had a moused sized dent in the side of his head. I figured he’d just done some body modification to have a place to carry his mouse on the go…but it could have been head banging frustration.

On the point of hero thieves…this is a real question in my mind. If you are a hero, you probably shouldn’t be pillaging other people’s possessions.

A lawful good person who finds a treasure chest, should responsibly put it in a lost and found location for a few months, and maybe post notices before claiming it for themselves.

In fact, the whole idea of a “lawful good” person going into a “dungeon” meaning an underground cavern/ruin in which “monsters” are living, and minding their own business seems down right like home invasion and armed robbery and typically murder. What did those non-human/or non-human-allied individuals ever do to that paladin to justify being murdered and all their possessions looted?

This is a huge complaint that those of us on the so called ‘Side of Evil’ have against the so called ‘Forces of Good’

I think all this good vs evil crap is just about overly self righteous people doing whatever they want and justifying it by calling themselves the “good guys” and their victims the “bad guys”

Rosver

Thieving heroes… like Robin Hood?

Also where did you get this hero-stealing-other-people-stuff-and-be-forgiven from. I never encountered such in the books I read.

LOL. Heroes invading monster’s home have often been mocked in many webcomics I read. There monsters see these heroes as theives and allover bad guys and the monsters are just doing their business. Make a lot of sense in a way.

Tizzy

[quote]Also where did you get this hero-stealing-other-people-stuff-and-be-forgiven from. I never encountered such in the books I read.[/quote]

Victori spolia as they used to say in my day (or some of my days)

To the Victor Go the Spoils. And the victor always writes history and so is always the hero.

And so, as they said in some of my other days: ὅπερ ἔδει δεῖξαι

Tizzy

Also a more concrete example.

See: Every Disney Fantasy Movie Ever.

Hero rescues princess and then forces her to marry him so he can have her father’s kingdom.

The guy steals the crown and the kingdom!

Talk about chutzpah!

Maou

History is written by the victors and everybody tries to justify their actions. The good guy is often the guy who has the most power and tries to maintain the norm. People are good at adapting and will get used to most things given enough time.

Tizzy

Exactly!

Rosver

[quote]To the Victor Go the Spoils.[/quote]

That is not really the same as stealing.

[quote]Every Disney Fantasy Movie Ever.[/quote]

Huh? Haven’t seen one. Herbie? Narnia? Pirate of the Caribean? John Carter? Enchanted? Oz, the Stupid and Boring?

[quote]History is written by the victors and everybody tries to justify their actions.[/quote]

I thought we are talking about stories. Fiction. I didn’t know history was included.

Maou

Fiction is limited by are imaginations and will often draw inspirations from a real world source. So while distorted some concepts in the real world are present in the fictional world so as to give it some believable substance. Fictions always follow logic to some extent. Distortions in these stories are often constant. If a story is to shifting or inconstant we often reject the fiction as bad writing. We need some logic in the story, so once more inspiration from real world sources. Humans in story will likely act like real humans. It gives them depth and the story realism. Its still fiction, but we like their to be some truths in the new imagined world so that we might relate with the setting in characters. If you can’t relate to them the story fails to reach you and is not doing a good job.

Rosver

@Maou:

Huh? That is ridiculous! I could list a lot of popular characters that are far from realistic. James Bond, Twilight saga characters, Super Man, Batman, Joker, Spongebob Squarepants, Bugs Bunny, Hercules, Mad Hatter… They are more than just distorted.

The fact is, when it comes to fiction, realism almost always takes a back seat. The more important one is appeal. If you make a fiction that is as realistic as possible, readers would be bored to death. So fiction often exagerates, the characters personality, often to the point of unreality, to maximize the characters appeal and make them interesting. Especially so to the protagonist and antagonist.

[quote]Its still fiction, but we like their to be some truths in the new imagined world so that we might relate with the setting in characters. If you can’t relate to them the story fails to reach you and is not doing a good job. [/quote]

The fact is writers can’t actually create a trully original thing. They always drew material from what already existed. So one way or another, the characters has some bearing to reality.

Also, not everyone could relate to a story. James Bond has garnered a lot of admirers, but I hate him. To me all his movies is junk! Did it failed somehow? Or how about Spongebob Squarepants? A lot of children love him, but adults? Not so much. Did it succeed?

Also, like reality, there are just people you don’t like and relate with. It might be your sibling, the president, your teacher, ect. It doesn’t mean that because these characters are real means that you would relate with them or their life stories would make a good story.

In fact, as far as I can see, the most induring characters are far from human in almost anything. Here are some: Demons, Dragons, Elves, Dwarves, Godzilla, King Kong, Angels, Gods, Ghosts, Zombies… well it just such a long list.

Madfox11

I had pegged you more like a Ulysses kind of demon 😉

Tizzy

Yeah, I thought of mentioning that, along with Gravity’s Rainbow on sort of the other side of things…but I felt they were both a bit lightweight/breezy reading and thus didn’t qualify.

Rosver

Wow! I’m getting an Alice-In-Wonderland experience here.

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 125 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.