Tom’s power level

Welcome To Astlan Forums Into The Abyss Tom’s power level

Viewing 5 posts - 121 through 125 (of 125 total)
  • Author
    Tizzy

How does it clash?

The mirror shows a spectrum, which is sort of what demons see/think, but we demons also take into account brain power and cunning as well in terms of social structure. I.e. the mirror might show someone a slightly more powerful shade, but in terms of social pecking order/seniority/political power, they might be lower.

I don’t think the mirror judges intelligence or cunning. Just raw mana/animus or something.

It’s the choice of 6 and only 6 levels that is the wizard digitizing things, so to speak. They bin demons in to 6 categories, but even they admit there is variation within the level/category

The reason they do this, I think, is for their spells. How much effort and oomph needs to go into a spell to capture a demon of a certain range.

So I think, they classify a demon based on how powerful a spell it takes to bind them. Now of course, the danger is, if a more powerful demon doesn’t resist fully and allows a lower level binding to take place , then the wizard might be screwed later.

However, no sane demon would want to be bound, so the probability of this happening is very slim…unless said demon didn’t realize their full power (and in fact most don’t when first bound) Typically though it would take several accursed masters and a few hundred years for demons to realize their full potential and thus from a wizards point of view, a named demon might get more powerful over the centuries and requires increasingly difficult spells to bind.

Madfox11

Can a demon be bound to more masters? If not, then that is one reason you might want to be bound. Come to think of it, if you can be bound by more than two masters, it might be funny to watch what happens when two rivals learn they did it and order you to kill the other… Another one would be to get out of the Abyss. Tom and more powerful demons can apparently can get out when they want to, but the weakers ones apparently can not. To have some fun with the foolish mortal that summoned you? The more I think about it, the more reasons I can think off why you would not mind being bound by a foolish master who underestimates your power. I mean, Tom certainly appeared to get some fun from the that ring with his name spelled incorrectly (assuming that was the reason for it failing). He got a free ride to Astlan, a nice scuffle with silly bad guys while saving the damsel in distress, make a friend and get to have the high ground in an argument with said damsel. Ooo… and he got to blow up a ship owned by some really silly humans. I mean, it was even a win for the wizard who summoned him. If he had not been there, they would never have gotten the book back.

Tizzy, I think you lack imagination. Life is about more than smoking pipe in the Abyss and pestering Lillith. I mean that gets old just as quickly as floating on a cloud 😉

Tizzy

Well….

Most demons have far worse experiences than Tom, he is sort of an exception. Coming out of the Abyss often means scrubbing floors, building fortresses for your master, slave labor basically, at least for the little guys.

And the big guys? They have to much ego to even pretend to submit. But there certainly could be some that do that…

Arch-Demons and above can certainly get out whenever they want. Although, no (or very few) humans know this–as of book 1. In fact they assume that the more powerful the demon, the more power it takes them to manifest on the plane.

Tom has proven to be able to hijack other demon’s summons, that’s highly unusual, it has been done before but is extremely rare.

however, there is a way to get out of the Abyss that’s far better for 3’s and 4’s than having a master (but it is not that common)…and that will be explored in Book 2…but people have mentioned it here in the threads…

As to two masters, there is contradictory information on that, some sources say yes, some say no…

Yes, but I don’t just smoke my pipe…I’m very social…and there might be some small cause for some demons to dislike me…

Rosver

@Dirk Flamberge

Oh a top hat! It almost become a cliche, hehehe.

Is that from a manga? What manga is it?

@Tizzy

Tom is quite lucky to have Lenamare as a master because Lenamare is just over confident. Lenamare is overly proud with his skills that he take very little precaution. No planning, no back up plans, no extra measures.

Tizzy

Yes, and unfortunately, on that front Lenamare is about to get a huge ego boost by having successfully kicked upwards of a thousand demons out of the city along with 3 arch demons with a single spell. It was a very impressive piece of spellmanship and his fellow councilors, and everyone in the city of Freehold will know it, and know it was him and he’ll bask in it.

Thinking that won’t help him…

Viewing 5 posts - 121 through 125 (of 125 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.