Tom’s power level

Welcome To Astlan Forums Into The Abyss Tom’s power level

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 125 total)
  • Author
    Tizzy

Yes, although it’s a fairly minor difference of a few words, and the confusion over never bound, unbound, bound…I wish the terms were clearer, but it’s the wizard’s fault.

What they thought was that it was a “minor never bound demon”

If it had ever been previously bound, they would have recognized it as a demon and have been able to get a better handle on it’s power level and if it was currently bound to someone (with a bit more work, Lenamare would have shown them how to see the binding and see if it was frayed or still connected to a master: like in the bar in the courts).

So anyway, what they thought they saw was what appeared to be a minor never bound demon. And so they adjusted tactics to get that, and then it fought back harder than expected and they had to seriously up their game and the level of the spells they were using.

Rosver

Is that what Lenamare is really trying to do? Would have been interesting.

That was what I thought. They changed the spell, multiple times. That should have a side effect. All those different mana overlaying on each other.

Tizzy

Yes, this is why he was feeling the heat from Jehenna in Chapter 2. They got lucky on a lot of different levels.

Oh hey guys, per Langland’s request over on the discussion thread

http://www.amazon.com/gp/forum/cd/discussion.html?ie=UTF8&cdForum=Fx3RI7J5FDSG4QJ&cdMSG=addedToThread&cdPage=9&cdThread=TxKNM2O0F9QECC&newContentID=Mx19X6RT2SBIDNH&newContentNum=220#CustomerDiscussionsNRPB

I am reposting my comment from over there on the power levels etc:

—snip—

I think Rupert was the Bright Green light wandering around the Wizard Council Palace that the Knight Rampant saw, and I base this upon the fact that right after they truth talked the boy yet before they axed him the Knight used the mirror spell and we saw a green glow illuminate the Knight’s face.

That means to me the most likely possibility for Tom’s colors are the Light Blue with Turquoise streaks. I do admit that the light blue with highlights could have been the girl arch-demon, as she was decidedly less powerful when it came to resisting the demon repulsion spell than the other two male Archies. But….

Also I have a theory as to why Rupert looks so much like Tom, which also kind of links into his power level. Rupert is a born half-demon who of his own admission grew tails and horns etc, but never ‘manifested’ his full form until ‘after’ he met his father. No wizard cut his tether and soul bound him with a level four or level three containment spell. Yet he’s got the distinctive appearance of a small level four. I maintain that since how a ‘demon’ looks and his body is the ‘half-wizard’ pre-conception and half the new demon’s preconception that in our little guy’s case. He did the lions share of the imagining and once he saw Tom the first good strong non-evil demonic role model he’d encountered he took on a decidedly similar appearance. He also thought Tom was a level four. Is it any co-inky-dink that his first full demonic manifestation is almost an exact replica of his ‘father’ and is it also a co-inky-dink that he comes in solidly at the same power level as his ‘father’.

I would maintain that his ‘real’ demonic father’s power level as well as his own magical training likely effected his power level but if belief is half the battle here then Rupert’s similarity to Tom/Dad is a self-fullfilling prophesy.

Now I could be all wet and all ‘good’ fourth level demons look the same but if its mind over matter…. I mean just look at what he was doing with his consciously controlled morphing of his human body. how much does the unconscious factor come into play.

The Deposed King

Flakes

While I too think that rupert was the green, I’m not entirely convinced that any of the three blues were tom. Remember the Rod said there were 3 archdemons and at least one 4th. At least implies potentially more than 1.

As for Rupert, he could be:

1) time travel spawn. Tom goes back in time and has sex or tom has sex and his partner goes back in time.
    2) time travelled tom. In order to muddy his true name tom goes back in time, takes the form of rupert, enrolls in the magic school…
    3) multi dimensional father. It has been said that demons visit other dimensions and have children there to have a mana source. Tom & rupert could have had the same father, who was simply spreading his inter-universal seed. i.e. Tom was already a demon on earth, he just didn’t know it.
    4) role model. Rupert could be just emulating the only role model he’s known.
    5) spontaneous generation. Something weird could have happened during tom’s binding, and a fully formed rupert could have split off and sontaneously formed in everbody’s head
    6) spontaneous generation. Something weird could have happened during Ruperts childhood causing tom to shape himself into Rupert when he was bound.

Something like Flakes’ #2 actually happened with a wizard in a D&D campaign I ran continuously during college and sporadically after that.

Except it was the character’s wizard’s apprentice who went back in time and became the wizard, the wizard character had started later in the campaign and just showed up at 7th level, so the tale of how he got to 7th level was told later in the campaign when the older version was 20+ level. Of course, no one knew (including me) that the apprentice (his second, the first one fell down a sphere of annihilation) would end up travelling back in time and becoming the wizard until he ended up time traveling rather by accident, and happened to be 7th level, and while back in time, ran into the party and joined them.

Thereafter he was known as Mooo, the Mobius Magi of Might (like a Mobius strip) (of course by this point the wizard was actually a crown with his soul in a jewel, and he’d spent a good deal of time possessing his apprentice—so this might have something to do with it also)

However, back to the story. I’ve promised no time travel in public spaces….or at least none to solve the Rupert conundrum.

Rosver

That is one convoluted story. The reference to Mobius strip is very cheeky. That story sound more outlandish that Alice in wWonderland but without its charmingly silly flavor.

As for Rupert, I prefer that it remains a mystery. I feel that mysteries doesn’t have to be explained always. I’m quite satisfied at not knowing why Rupert is so.

Zieggenfus

Another invader for the Amazon realm.

Zieggenfus says:
    Rupert first fully manifested after Tom made a deliberate effort to transfer some of his magic/animus(sp?) to him. This may have provided a boost to the amount of magic available for the creation of his initial form, as well as provide something of a physical template. Also consider he already had the magic and animus of an apprentice wizard available in the form of his then current body. Was Rupert able to utilize his half-demon animus when creating his initial form? These factors combined with the self-image theory Joshua states above adequately explains Rupert’s form and power level in my mind.

If the energy transfer took place, it may also have resulted in a (temporary?) reduction of Tom’s power.

I’m not sure of the time between the attack on the ship and the expulsion, but looking only at Bess and Tom, it appeared that Bess was more susceptible.

Tizzy

This could be….

some of your hypothesis, however will get answered pretty early on in book 2, however, said answer may confuse the overall question of this topic even more.

Do we know if Tom was practicing his magic shielding abilities on that night? Was he training? Which if it plays any factor makes me ask, Would Exador routinely go around shielding his mana/animus? And even if they both were doing it would that in any way effect the mirror?

Cause if both Tom and Exador were shielding their magic, that leaves the door open for Tizzy to be one of the Indigo.

The Deposed King

OK,

I know you all think Exadork is an Arch Demon, but I’ve known that purple armored pompous over inflated gasbag nearly my entire life.
    I have sat across the council table from him, argued with him, and triumphed over him on so many occasions, I can no longer count them all.

I have a hard time seriously believing he’s an Arch Demon or even a demon.

Yes, he flew the coop at the same time my wards went up, but I am sure this was just a stunt on his part. The council was about to rule in my favor and he’s trying to get them to second guess themselves

“Oh my, Exador’s an Arch Demon, we wouldn’t want to rule against him or he might get mad and bring a demon army against us!”

Of all the cheap, easy to pull off, theatrical tricks, this is so blatantly obvious, and so like him. He can’t defeat me at wizardry, nor before legal courts nor the council, so he’s trying scare tactics, jury intimidation, whatever you want to call it.

Believe me when I say that I have studied and analyzed this ego maniac probably more than anyone on the planet. The probability of him actually being a demon lord is very small, say 5% to 10% max.

Lenamare.

Tizzy

Ooh, I like that me being an Indigo idea!

Woo hoo!

Yeah.

[-o<

Rosver

However, it is just an idea. It is not the fact/truth. It would be scary too if you are indigo.

Why is Tom’s power lever withheld tough? Why can’t you just tell us. It is quite a bit frustrating not knowing.

Tizzy

I’m a fiend, I can’t see power levels or whatnot, at least not like the mirror.

I can see auras and overall brightness of mana etc but the best way I have of knowing a demon’s level is by how much it hurts when they whollap me.

And believe me, I’ve been whollaped by some big ones.

Rosver

Just ask Tom to whollap your. Then you can tell easy.

Or you could also steal the mirror.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 125 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.