Time Frame on next book

Welcome To Astlan Forums Into The Abyss Time Frame on next book

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 282 total)
  • Author
    Threefinger

hmmm, how would we go about signing blood contract over the internet? Smear the blood on the computer? Also what would stop people from cheating and using someone else’s blood? The blood all over the computer might interfere with the reading itself too.

Threefinger

Also my soul is currently out on loan to the army so it might be a little while before I can sign it over to someone else.

Tizzy

You receive an email with a runic spell engraved in it.

It causes your keys to grow sharp edges, cutting your fingers as you type and sucking the blood into the computer to be digitized and sent as an attachment in your reply.

I don’t get to collect your soul until you die. So no real conflict with the Army.

Tizzy

Well, so far the most common thing is to be having an out of body experience and run into a wizard or two on the astral plane.

Timing seems to be a big issue, those wizards aren’t that predictable.

Which is why i’m working on my own plans to raise a demon army…still working out the details…

I’m calling it “The Rapture” it’s going to be a mass vacuuming of souls from the planes of men into the Abyss as demons.

I’ve been working on it for a century or two now. My concern is that someone might leak my plans…

I’ve also heard some rumors that some people may have gotten a bit mixed up about where they’re going when I rapture them but…hey it’ll be a pleasant surprise…I’m sure.

That’s what it is looking like. These take me a while. Even if I get more writing time I have some other series waiting in the wings

Can I be a beta reader ?

Madfox11

[quote=Tizzy;1441]Well, so far the most common thing is to be having an out of body experience and run into a wizard or two on the astral plane.

Timing seems to be a big issue, those wizards aren’t that predictable.

Which is why i’m working on my own plans to raise a demon army…still working out the details…

I’m calling it “The Rapture” it’s going to be a mass vacuuming of souls from the planes of men into the Abyss as demons.

I’ve been working on it for a century or two now. My concern is that someone might leak my plans…

I’ve also heard some rumors that some people may have gotten a bit mixed up about where they’re going when I rapture them but…hey it’ll be a pleasant surprise…I’m sure.

[/quote]

Wouldn’t be control be more of an issue? Most of those displaced humans are going to be seriously pissed off… It might work if you get them to leave voluntarily, but then again, the kind of people that actually want to become a demon are not exactly the kind of people easy to control 😉

As for beta-reading, I am split on the issue. I have done my fair share of D&D adventure development and editing for Wizard of the Coast’s various organized play programs and I love doing it. At the same time, it requires a different outset when actually reading the material, which does come at the cost of simple reading enjoyment if you get what I mean. It certainly costs more energy and it can be time consuming. Of course, I could simply read it, but then I would capture only the more glaring errors or the occasional minor one by accident and then it would be fairer to simply wait for the release 😉

Tizzy

Yes…this is actually the discussion that T-A-G is having on Amazon.

Personally, I don’t see the point of beta reading, other than to catch the transcription errors caused by T-A-G, and those are many.

But as far as lucidity, clarity, completeness, logic etc…since I’m dictating it to him, you know that it will be perfect on the first try.

Rosver

Tizzy? Really? Then how did the Nuclear Reaction/Quarks issue got out? And it was all because of a single paragraph that the narrator says. If the narator just haven’t said that students study quarks, it would have been a non issue.

Of course there are some more mistakes that had really embelished the story so I really doubt the truthfulness of your last sentence.

Tizzy

Whatever he said…who knows.

However, I dictated the story, and I know all about nuclear reactions and quantum mechanics. See me talking to Edwyrd on the ship where I ask if the ship has a spare nuclear reactor to drive it to shore.

Heck, if I know about Aztecs, Mayans and Zapotec’s surely I must know about Quantum Mechanics…it completely follows…

Rosver

I’m not talking about you! After all, the story is not about you. You don’t even have a POV there.

It is incongruous that people there should know Quarks but know almost zero about Nuclear reactions. It just don’t make sense

There of course more things that don’t make sense but those are for another time.

And of course it doesn’t follow.

Tizzy

But people in the book don’t have to know about quarks…only the narrator does which is me. 🙂

narrators often make analogies and/or add detail for their audiences beyond what the subject of stories actually know.

Madfox11

Now I am curious… Do the wizards know there are other worlds? Do they realize the demons visit multiple worlds? Are they aware the demons could actually tell them about advanced technology? A society rich in magic has little reason to develop certain technological advances since the earlier versions tend to be really ineffecient (especially compared to magic), but the more advanced versions most definitely are (unless the far majority of people has a magic talent).

Tizzy

They know there are other worlds, they can get to ones similar to Astlan, with similar magic systems or at least non-contradictory systems.

They [b][i]might[/i][/b] be able to get as far as Greyhawk or Morrowind but I think that would be really pushing things. Arduin is a slightly more likely limit, if it even still exists.

Not clear they could ever get directly to a high tech world…they might get to a steam punk world though.

Hmmm…what about a War Hammer 40K world? Now that would be interesting.

Anyway, according to the documentation in the library (here) all the worlds the wizards can get to have very close to the same rules of magic.

Now, that’s talking direct spells. Indirectly, via the Astral Plane, they can of course get to places like Earth. The problem would be, could they “land” on it. Not clear that their magic would let them. For one thing people from there don’t look like people, they look like unbound demons.

This is the distortion effect, and I assume it works both ways for them

Rosver

@Tizzy

It is not because the narrator know about quarks. It is because the wizards know about quarks. Hell, I could almost generalize that Astlanians know about quarks:

[quote]
    Naturally, a theoretical magic student may wonder at what happens to the incredible amounts of binding energy that are released in this occurrence.[/quote]

It is clear that the said student isn’t the narrator, and it is also clear that the student learn it from a Wizard and many would have known about it since on of its application the [b]Cloud of Disintegration[/b] is rather a wellknown spell as noted by being known not only by Exador and Lenamare but also the young ones like Rupert and the soldiers. Also note that it talked also about “[i]incredible amount of energy[/i]” which is rather describes properly what nuclear reactions are like. Then, dumbly, later, not one wizard, even the ones of higher orders (even Exador with millinias of study), can work out how Lenamare’s little explosion work, which is a nuclear bomb, which uses nuclear reactions “[i]incredible amount of energy[/i]” to work, even when it was explained to them how it works. This mishap is rather subtle but it is still a mistake.

And there are mistakes that are more into your face… but I like the story very much so I give it a pass.

@Madfox

It is not really given in the book but it seems that Demons have been taking many toys from modern Earth, our Earth. Elevators, escalators, textiles, furniture, appliances, cars, etc.

Of course this is another mistake. Many of our devices aren’t really meant to work at high temperatures. Since the Abyss is where humans would cook to crisp if they ever go there, such devices would not have survived there either. Elevator circuitry would have fizzled, escalators would have grind itself, textiles would have disintegrated, furniture would have dried and crack if its made of wood, or melt if made of plastic, appliances, which often contains plastic and very sensitive components, would not last long, and cars would have thier tires, upholstery and gadgetry melting, etc. The scene there really doesn’t make sense.

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 282 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.