The reactions of Ramses, Bess, and Exador

Welcome To Astlan Forums Into The Abyss The reactions of Ramses, Bess, and Exador

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 165 total)
  • Author
    Maou

They must hate Tom as an agent of chaos. Most of these people are old powerful and methodical, so they make plans based on any and all variables they know and a few they don’t. Tom as a newcomer to the world is at or approaching the height of his growth curve as he work out how to use his innate talents. This will make them think he was holding out and question how long his machinations have been in the works. As they plan for his future course of actions they will be confused as they will appear as elusive and shifting as desert sand in the wind as he lacks a clear goal. In essence a powerful demon of unknown reasons appears in the world to disrupt the plans of those in power leaving chaos and fear in his wake as people worry about his unknown end game and objective, as he has known and is mostly wandering around to relieve boredom.

Tizzy

Well, not yet, not at the moment.

However, I suspect you are prescient, meaning once more of them become aware of him and what he’s done, and might do, this is a very likely scenario.

At the very least, they are going to want to take his measure and monitor him closely for any disruptiveness…but….they will also be trying to figure out who else he might already be aligned to or working with before reacting. They will be leery of a trap. For the reasons you describe about their nature.

Rosver

@The Author Guy:

Illusions? I wonder where. Rupert was able to see through what Exador say was his most potent illusion on the door, could he see through these illusions too? Could Tom see the through the illusions too?

I thought of that too. Prefab was the most likely solution. Though, prefab still need onsite preparation of the foundation. They have to be careful in bringing the pieces in. Concrete could explode when exposed to heat if not prepared properly. They might also need special concrete mixes to withstand the high temperature in the Abyss. High content of sulfur, carbon dioxide and other substances in the air is also damaging to concrete, no solution there, maybe that is why the structures change often as described by Antefalken.

Theft from other worlds couldn’t have happen that much. There aren’t really that much number of demons who could do those tricks (gate, switch) and they are really very unlikely to be cooperative as to supply the lower demons with such things.

And I hope I would not be hearing some demon using an xbox in the Abyss. That is just nuking the fridge.

@Maou:

There are a lots of things we could derive from the situation. There would be other demons having great interest in him… powerful people always does have their followers. However we couldn’t really get the details of what would happen. I was thinking a lot of scenarios. One of it even has an assassin in it. Many powerful people has one (JFK?).

Though, I think Tom might not be as bored as you think. He seems to be gathering friends and companions. Spending time with friends and companions are one of the most un-boring thing to do. Though, his interest on the safety of his friends and companions might be difficult for other demons to concieve and would likely interpret wrong.

@Tizzy:

They are likely to send an assassin or attempt one. Who like to be disrupted?

Maou

It would be amusing if Ramses were to restart his line as he could make himself the near spitting image of his portraits and use the abilities of a time warrior. It is interesting to watch the demons, as they seem to be the ones who innovate a new branch of magic, teach it to the mortals, and then go on to take some of the fruits of their labor as they only share a portion of what they know and will steal the mortal’s knowledge to further their own ends. Haven’t seen what Bess can do, but seeing as Demons rarely share all of what they know it will be interesting to watch them and see if they have hidden any branches of magical knowledge from mortals, or possibly concealed an entirely new from of magic such as one which uses animus as the basis of manipulation as opposed to mana. Mana is the most easily manipulated, put animus naturally draws mana, so some form of animus manipulation could be powerful, or I’m describing druids, but since they has as of yet not been explained in detail what I know of them is quite vague.

Tizzy

@Rosver

Demons are pretty used to explosions. However, I suppose if a prefab concrete thing did explode it would scare the crap out of whoever was carrying it, and that might be good for a laugh, particularly if they guy lost a couple limbs in the process!

o:)

If it says it was his most powerful, then it probably was, but he’s not that great at Illusions. But yes, the various “sights” can be used to see through illusions, there are caveats depending on whether the illusion is sensory or mental (sight doesn’t work on mental illusions that well). It’s a question of the level of the illusion and the person trying to see through it, plus they have to be trying to see through it. And then they need to roll a four sided die or something like that.

Things in the Courts that are illusions, are there for the same purpose as a burning log on TV (ok, better quality than that) They aren’t there so much to “hide” something as to make something more pleasant to view. In some cases, they illusions are artwork in intent (e.g. extra cityscape art)

@Maou

Finally, thank you! Someone realizes that we demons are the Prometheai of Astlan. Teaching those ignorant louts how to do magic!

Korwin

@Maou
    I’m under the Impression what you describe (Manipulation of Animus) is an big part of what necromancy is..

Maou

Necromancers are specialized wizards, and wizards focus on the manipulation of mana. Commonly wizards can and do manipulate animus indirectly as they use mana to manipulate animus. They attract animus with mana and then use mana to shape a body to house the animus so as to create mana bodies. They may also use mana to bind mana to objects that may act as a phylactery for their immortal soul. Animus free of a body or free of mana will simply move on to the next world or dissipitate depending upon the stability of the animus.

Tizzy

Yep, sounds like a Necromancer to me.

Wylan! Wylan where are you?

Tizzy

I think Maou is a secret Necromancer who wants to kill a god and then resurrect it under his control.

Maou

Like all societies demons will have a range of behaviors with most leaning towards the average and a few outliers on either end. If most demons are lazy it is likely do to their long monotonous lives as they have an abundance of time, but their would still be a small number of people who would always search for something new. Tom is at the moment an eccentric demon. Eccentrics in demon society can exist on either end of typical demon behavior in certain aspects.

Tizzy is extremely eccentric and yet he is alive. If his eccentric qualities where bad, then somebody would have killed him long ago. His continued survival indicates he has a highly beneficial quality, not sure what, but it exists. Through sheer statistical probability some who enjoy research and bettering themselves exist. The Big C who lead the demons could even be like this. Not sure really as he has been gone for quite some time now.

Ones personality is shaped by their actions, so if a person devoted years or decades to self improvement in matters martial, intellectual, and arcane, they might just continue to do so later. Demons aren’t often like this as they often go into a panic attack or hysterics after arriving. They are then often summoned frequently and tortured before they can return to the abyss and this often warps their personalities. Many of the other more powerful demons also grew up like with another powerful demon as the more powerful wizards might keep more than one, and I’m assuming when the majority of them where summoned their was a lot of power plays. Tom’s unique in the relative political and mental stability, lack of supervision, and freedom he has due to a number of factors as he often leaves the abyss despite his short time their, and likely due to the fact that he will probably find a way to reverse the link and gain control of Len in the near future.

[quote]it is Tizzy who says that demons are slothful. If he says it, then it is fact, I guess.[/quote]

If Tizzy says it, it is fact?

Have you lost your mind? #-o

Tizzy is a [u][i][b]DEMON.[/b][/i][/u]

That means at a minimum:

1) he is a liar
    2) he is evil
    3) he is is trying to trick you and manipulate you for his own purposes
    4) he can’t be trusted

Add to that, that even other demons think he is [u][i][b]INSANE[/b][/i][/u]

Everyone that meets him thinks he’s batty, crazy, multiple screws loose. hallucinatory, derranged!

Why on Astlan would you even think of listening to this vile creature, let alone [i]believe[/i] him?

Maou

Let me change the syntax of my prior comment. Most demons behave in a manner similar to one and other and will often have similar growth curves, however some demons will depending on their personalities and natural talents grow at different speeds. My prior statement was that due to the sheer magnitude of their lives that most demons will eventually reach the full potential of their talents and thus level off in power.

Therefore a demons personality will determine how they might utilize their talents, whether they choose to study things outside their specialties, and how they might choose to combine these skills. A demons growth curve is exponential in that as they are first learning of magic and acting on their talents they grow quickly, but as they master their fields their rate of growth slows. Most demons are not innovators and would much rather steal an idea. Many older demons would likely have ingrained habits and ideas. The only ones lacking these rigid concepts would be the genius and the insane as their is a thin line. Success leads to genius and failure leads to insanity. Most beings think in a somewhat similar manner, so a new viewpoint is often needed for something entirely new, where as logic can lead one to the next step.

I was merely stating that Tom state of mind is quite different than the average demon as he adapted tot the abyss quite rapidly, has had very little torture done to him which leads to his lack of an ingrained hatred, and is trying to be a good role-model for Rupert. These behaviors lead him to be mentally quite different than a typical demon. He also has a radically different view from the humans as he lacks a conviction to himself being evil and his new body has altered some of his human instincts/ limiters. By Astlanian standards Tom is abnormal or insane, and thus now could be the peak of his innovation. Look at Tizzy. Most consider him a madman, but despite pissing off many demons stronger than himself he is still alive. Demons aren’t that lucky and I lack faith in coincidence. This leads one to conclude that Tizzy has some atypical skills so as to be still alive to this day.

Rosver

@Lenamare:

That is why I add the “I guess” part in my statement. There aren’t really much of reliable source about demons here.

@Tizzy:

Go Tizzy! Go Tizzy!

@Maou:

[quote]My prior statement was that due to the sheer magnitude of their lives that most demons will eventually reach the full potential of their talents and thus level off in power.[/quote]

That doesn’t mean they would be super strong and powerful. As the book had said, only a few numbers of demons could actually manipulate mana and so do magic. If it is as the book says, only the most powerful leverl 4 and level 5 and 6 demons could do magic. Based on the numbers given by the book, the number of these mana manipulating demons is just in two digits, maybe somewhere around 60. That is way very few.

[quote]Success leads to genius and failure leads to insanity.[/quote]

Ow! Did you really just say that? Maybe I had to pull up some quotes to illustrate the realationship between success and failure:

“Winners are not afraid of losing. But losers are. Failure is part of the process of success. People who avoid failure also avoid success.”

“If you’re not prepared to be wrong, you’ll never come up with anything original.”

“Failure should be our teacher, not our undertaker. Failure is delay, not defeat. It is a temporary detour, not a dead end. Failure is something we can avoid only by saying nothing, doing nothing, and being nothing.”

“I have not failed. I’ve just found 10,000 ways that won’t work.”

[quote]By Astlanian standards Tom is abnormal or insane, and thus now could be the peak of his innovation.[/quote]

Huh? I just can’t any sense out of this statement. I think it means, the hospital of mentaly insane is a place of great innovation?

[quote]Most consider him a madman, but despite pissing off many demons stronger than himself he is still alive. Demons aren’t that lucky and I lack faith in coincidence. This leads one to conclude that Tizzy has some atypical skills so as to be still alive to this day. [/quote]

First, demons are immortal, they are very very difficult to kill. Demons staying alive is actually less surprising than demons being dead. Staying alive is what immortals are best known for, being dead… not so much.

As for coincidence, that may be true in real life but this is a book, it thrives in it. And the atypical skill, or more appropriately ability, your talking about is the skill of regenerating back even if you cut Tizzy to millions of pieces. A thing which every demons is capable of.

Tizzy

[quote]As for coincidence, that may be true in real life but this is a book, it thrives in it. And the atypical skill, or more appropriately ability, your talking about is the skill of regenerating back even if you cut Tizzy to millions of pieces. A thing which every demons is capable of.[/quote]

OK, that does it. This topic has now surpassed “Killing Demons” as my [u][i][b]least[/b][/i][/u] favorite topic on the forum.

I don’t know why you two want to kill me all of the sudden! Or chop me up into a million pieces, I am thinking that would hurt! i was once chopped up into a thousand and one pieces, and that hurt quite a bit. A million would be far worse, I am sure!

Maou

@Rosver:

[quote]My prior statement was that due to the sheer magnitude of their lives that most demons will eventually reach the full potential of their talents and thus level off in power. [/quote]

I did not mean this to mean they can’t grow any stronger, I simply meant it to mean they may not grow stronger naturally anymore. Experience, study, and training will still allow them to grow further, but at this point they will generally grow at a much slower rate.

[quote]Success leads to genius and failure leads to insanity.[/quote]

Here I simply meant that most true leaps forward are made by those with fluid mindsets who can think outside of the box that the average person would view a situation from. This does however lead to those with a different view of the world as to being labeled insane as people don’t typically like people who think differently than them as much as those who think like them. These people will try new things and if successful they will be hailed as a genius, but if they fail they will be labeled as a nutjob for trying to accomplish the impossible.

[quote]By Astlanian standards Tom is abnormal or insane, and thus now could be the peak of his innovation.
    [/quote]
    Again he views things from a seperate point of view. He still lacks the perception of the world that many native Astlanians have and this alternative means of interpretation could lead to a few new aspects of magic being uncovered and could lead to a difference in how he chooses to wield said magic in a different way.

[quote]Most consider him a madman, but despite pissing off many demons stronger than himself he is still alive. Demons aren’t that lucky and I lack faith in coincidence. This leads one to conclude that Tizzy has some atypical skills so as to be still alive to this day.
    [/quote]

While demons are immortal, they can be killed. It is the reason why many demons rarely fight somebody of a higher rank, sure they could torture you, but a more powerful demon could torture you, but a more powerful demon might permanently end a weaker demon simply due to annoyance as we might swat a fly. Demons do often stay alive for long periods of time, but they are on occasion killed by wizards, holy orders, and other demons. Demons are not true immortals. They can be killed, not be age or illness, but by spells or anything else that could destroy their manabody or soul.

The regenerative ability is well known so should one purposefully decide to kill a demon it is not impossible to overcome. As for coincidence, their is plenty in the book, however in most instances it has been used for humor, to fuel paranoia, or both. Many books have to much coincidence to be believable. This is a work of fantasy, but to have a destined coincidentally fulfill many obscure events only to have them be important later is strange. Not every one you meet will have an impact on your life later. Also proper villains would kill the heroes instead of giving them multiple multiple near death situations. Instead of letting a future threat roam free they would stab them in the face. They would not give a speech and then set them free, but simply kill them.

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 165 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.