Rambles and Speculations

Welcome To Astlan Forums The Apostles of Doom Rambles and Speculations

Viewing 15 posts - 181 through 195 (of 347 total)
  • Author
    Tizzy

Haven’t been to the continent of Mylon in well over a thousand years.

It’s actually relatively self reliant; it worked pretty hard to stay out of Eton and Norelon’s affairs. It’s actually a pretty long haul out there by ship.

I would probably ask Captain Asmeth about it. So Seas of Astlan is more likely.

There are/were some other non-DOA stories out there at one time; have to ask T-A-G if he remembers what happened to them.

As far as the Doomalogues. Yep, and and that’s a very good question, which is why one only wants to bring them back up one at a time and secure them each before going onto the next.

I can tell you, since it’s actually happening right now as I speak. It will be covered in Book 3; or at least the start of the process…

Iume

Man, everything you’re saying is just having me jonseying for book 3. As a drug and vice dealing demon can ya hook me up with some Tizzy? I’ve got Please Don’t Tell My Parents I’ve Got Henchmen in February, Marked in Flesh in March, and a weekly dosage of Innkeeper Chronicles, but nothing after that. I’m getting withdrawals here.

Gelcube

You said it! Getting more and more excited about [i]Apostles of [b]DOOOOOOOM[/b][/i]. Getting a little …what’s the word…fidgety?

Mikey

[quote=Iume;3185]I’m getting withdrawals here.[/quote]

There are too many writers all hung up on Aristotle’s conception of tragedy (good people get fucked, let’s all revel in the sadness) compared to Tizzy’s more Hegelian approach of pitting “good” against “good” and their inability to share points of view being the tragedy.

But let me quote myself from another forum: Astlan (J. Langland), Fimbulwinter (E. William Brown), Portals of Infinity (John Van Stry) and Gilán (Scott Duff)

Gelcube

Well, you know, Tizzy, drug lords DO wield considerable power and wealth. In some countries on the Earth planes, they are the de facto governments. Don’t be too mad about being compared to one. As you very well know, many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our point of view.

Tizzy

Ruling an entire country sounds like it would take up too much time. Quite a hassle if you think about it.

All these whiny subjects always wanting something.

If I were interested in that, I think I’d setup a figurehead or something, you know be the power behind the throne!

But even then, I’m betting figurehead would be all needy and wanty.

Gelcube

Well, being the Power-Behind-The-Throne is definitely safer. The person in the Big Chair always has a target on his/her back (and sometimes front and sides).

Gelcube

Tell me about it! I’ve read four book this week so far. I’m desperately re-reading (is re-re-re-re-rereading a word?) books because I’ve quickly ran through my monthly book budget (and then some). Surely my cube-wife and little cubelings will starve if I don’t stop the plunge into the black hole of money-less-ness!

You really sound like a candidate for Kindle Unlimited.

It’s a pretty good deal. $9.99/month which is +/- a big publisher book or maybe 2 indie books and you get unlimited indie books and some publisher books. (Albeit, Amazon only Indie books; if an indie sells on iTunes, BN, Smashwords they can’t be in KU, unless they are a big name)

It is also unlimited Listening to the same books for books that have audible editions.

It used to be really painful for authors of long books because they charged per book read after like 10% had been read. Meaning a big book=little book, and a big book had to have had a lot more pages read. So I ended up getting about 30% of the amount I got for a sale.

Then last July they changed to what they call KENP (Kindle Edition Normalized Pages) which is a funky page count based on an average kindle page size; based on word count and pictures. Amazingly enough, it tied almost exactly out to my book pricing.

At list price I make about the same on a full read of my book as a purchase; and even if someone doesn’t finish the book I get credit for what they read (the first time). So it’s a good deal for authors who price at typical indie prices.

Iume

[quote=Korwin;3192]What only one book per month… How are you surviving?[/quote]

XCOM, with the Long War mod. If you are fan of turn-based strategy then XCOM is a good choice — XCOM2 is coming next week! Long War, well makes the game longer and a LOT harder. It took me 1 year to beat it which I just completed. Sucks up a lot of time.

I do have a Kindle Unlimited account, but not a lot of good books out there. It is just that [i]right now[/i] is a bit of a dry spell. I had a glut of books in the Oct-Dec range (Daniel Black Book 3, various superhero books). I also just complete a week-long re-read of Terry Mancour’s Spellmonger series. That helped, but now I’m want the latest book AGAIN! Re-reads are a large portion of my selection.

I was also lucky, I got selected to read & review an ARC of Please Don’t Tell My Parents I Have Henchmen in exchange for a review. Read that yesterday, going to work on the review today.

FYI, if anyone remembers ElfQuest you can sit down and read through it at elfquest.com. That’ll take a few days since it takes a few seconds to load each page (graphic novel) and the story is amazing.

Interesting on the KU.

I don’t have KU myself; I get a book per month via Prime and lately that’s more than I can read with my “if I have time to read, I have time to write motto”

Plus, in addition to books I have a couple never finished shareware type programs I’ve been writing on and off forever with the goal of being self sufficient between writing books and programs that I could make a living doing those two things. It’s going slowly, but it is going.

I see a lot of books that look good that are on KU, that I would like to read. But I suppose that eventually I would run through them and be empty again. Particularly if I read like I did in the pre-Internet days. (A book per day). Of course the internet is another giant time-sucking thing that ensures very little gets done. Seriously, that thing is evil. Particularly if you get involved in any forum sites, or people on FB etc.

I also suspect that one historical problem with KU is that because of the old system where short books counted the same as long books, lots of KU authors were heavy serializing because they got as much money for short books as long books; thus there really isn’t as much out there as it looks.

Gelcube

I’ve thought SERIOUSLY about KU. I’ve already got Netflix, Crunchyroll, and Dramafever accounts. KU would just be one more.

Korwin

[quote=Iume;3195][quote=Korwin;3192]What only one book per month… How are you surviving?[/quote]
    I do have a Kindle Unlimited account, but not a lot of good books out there. It is just that [i]right now[/i] is a bit of a dry spell. I had a glut of books in the Oct-Dec range (Daniel Black Book 3, various superhero books). I also just complete a week-long re-read of Terry Mancour’s Spellmonger series. That helped, but now I’m want the latest book AGAIN! Re-reads are a large portion of my selection.[/quote]
    I like P.S. Power, if you don’t know him, there are many books to read by him (he is an incredible fast writer).
    If you allready know him, there is an thread on his forum about book recommendations.
    http://pspowerbooks.com/phpBBF/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=2862

Gelcube

Oh, I recently found something so funny it literally had my gasping for breath from laughing so hard.

Drew Hayes writes the Spells, Swords, & Stealth series (NPCs and Split the Party), and runs a Pathfinder game podcast with several other comedy/fantasy/sci-fi authors. Some of the stuff rivals Eric and the Dread Gazebo.

[url=http://www.drewhayesnovels.com/authorsanddragons/]Authors and Dragons Website/RSS[/url]

I’ve only listened to the first 9 episodes, but it’s hilarious.

[quote=Mikey;3187][quote=Iume;3185]I’m getting withdrawals here.[/quote]

There are too many writers all hung up on Aristotle’s conception of tragedy (good people get fucked, let’s all revel in the sadness) compared to Tizzy’s more Hegelian approach of pitting “good” against “good” and their inability to share points of view being the tragedy.

But let me quote myself from another forum: Astlan (J. Langland), Fimbulwinter (E. William Brown), Portals of Infinity (John Van Stry) and Gilán (Scott Duff)[/quote]

ah, i’ve read almost all of those, good reads.

Mikey, what is Gilán about? and could you please link me Gilán or Scott Duff’s Site? thanks bud.

Viewing 15 posts - 181 through 195 (of 347 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.