Beta – Some Things and opinions

Welcome To Astlan Forums Beta Reading Beta – Some Things and opinions

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 99 total)
  • Author
    Mikey

[quote=The Author Guy;5232]I’ve also put some other feelers out there for Tom, including Zelda and Tamarin, but to date, not feeling it. I’m starting to feel like a dating service….D’Harmony or something like that.[/quote]
    That’s the problem with Tom currently being such a contradiction of young and powerful. He wouldn’t want to get it on with a subordinate, but finding an equal would be a bit difficult. As he embraces the concept of long-term continuity and decides on what his take of Orcus will be, it’ll be easier for him to relate to his new society. On those levels, and with his returning memories, the relationships he might have would likely be less about puppy love, and more about friendship, and working towards common goals.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BtcQW8xdTWA[/youtube]

LCSpartan051

Hows it looking on the next beta?

So many Jenn haters!

[crying]

[quote=Mikey;5262]Or more seriously, from whence do animus-beings get their emotional impetus, with no glands. D’glands?[/quote]

Actually an interesting point, but I’m going to prioritize the logical holes that are opening in my cheese and get to that question in a later book.

[quote=Burien;5318]Reggie seems to have adapted fine, I understand it is in his new nature, but that should only make Tom think about it more. It might not be a big deal in demon form, but in Edward form he should have more trouble with hormones being that he is a teenager as well. He definately needs to relax, and i can easily see in Doom telling him to get laid.

I have a hard time with Gastrope and Jenn just because he tried to kill her. His fireball hit a shield, Jehenna and Trisfelt are the only one I remember throwing up shields, and Trisfelt fried his attackers. Has Trevin given up on Gastrope? Her awkward flirting in book 2 was one of the parts i liked a bout the whole Nimbus story line. I would think he would have picked up a few admirers as well after his key part in beating the liches.

And if you think Jenn is bad, just find any teenage girl and hide her cell phone. Jenn will seem like a saint then.[/quote]

heh heh

Trevin has scaled back, mainly because things are now much more serious with the D’Orcs and Alvar, time for games to be put down for the moment.

But a good point on the other admirers. In particular there are nymphs on board. And of course, Zed, as a satyr, he is not particular about his partners gender. (I don’t see that going anywhere).

I think the really big thing with Reggie is that his accursed mistress is very different than Lenamare, so he is not seeing the slavery thing, being a demon is more like a dream come true for him. I mean he died and now he’s got access to how many virgins? As an immortal incubus, he’s going to be getting a lot more than 72 virgins.

Now of course, not of the D’Orcs he’s sleeping with are virgins, but he needs to, and wants to practice for the big league!

Tom does need to relax, but this fall I am seeing him as Kiefer Sutherland in Designated Survivor, unexpected President of Doom! With crap loads of enemies at the gates.

Although I have to say I’ve always had trouble with Kiefer Southerland the adult I still see him as the vampire in Lost Boys and I always saw that character as Lestat.

I really wanted him to play Lestat–so incredibly badly. So seeing him all grown up is disconcerting, vampires are not supposed to age!

Burien

Reggie seems to have adapted fine, I understand it is in his new nature, but that should only make Tom think about it more. It might not be a big deal in demon form, but in Edward form he should have more trouble with hormones being that he is a teenager as well. He definately needs to relax, and i can easily see in Doom telling him to get laid.

I have a hard time with Gastrope and Jenn just because he tried to kill her. His fireball hit a shield, Jehenna and Trisfelt are the only one I remember throwing up shields, and Trisfelt fried his attackers. Has Trevin given up on Gastrope? Her awkward flirting in book 2 was one of the parts i liked a bout the whole Nimbus story line. I would think he would have picked up a few admirers as well after his key part in beating the liches.

And if you think Jenn is bad, just find any teenage girl and hide her cell phone. Jenn will seem like a saint then.

So out of curiousity where on that scale would you put Jenn?

Burien

While romance isnt entirely nessesary, and the story is strong without it, it is a part life and hafl the fun of fantasy is the hero getting the girl, even if which girl dosent matter. Otherwise Tom will end up like Conan sitting on his throne looking constipated and forever alone. Just something unsatisfying about that, dosent half to be this book, but by the end of the series it would be cool.

LCSpartan051

Jean did somewhat choose a “girly” mage path, since she is kinda a magical gardener. Plus she did faint when Tom took off the demon controlling ring. I think the whole romance deal for Tom should involve Rupert/Dis Pater’s unknown mother, who has potentially Pheonix Cycled into someone new.

Burien

I wouldnt call her a tomboy for being a healer, and working with plants and flowers, just practical. Unless she was rich, or nobility I wouldnt expect her to obsess over her appearance or act really girly. If she was a tomboy i would expect more offensive magic, gravity spells since she is a thaumaturge, the only combat spell i recall her using was a non-leathal entanglement spell.

Most of the issues people have with Jenn can be blamed on her always having to be the reasonable, and responsible one. Now that she is away from Lenamere and Jehenna she will learn not everyone is as callous and reckless as they are. As it is she has just as much potential for character growth as Talarius, and Id like to see them both come around in this book.

Ben

[quote=Burien;5318]Reggie seems to have adapted fine, I understand it is in his new nature, but that should only make Tom think about it more. It might not be a big deal in demon form, but in Edward form he should have more trouble with hormones being that he is a teenager as well. He definately needs to relax, and i can easily see in Doom telling him to get laid.[/quote]

Yeah I thought Tom didn’t seem as horny as you would expect a 16 year old lad to be. other than when he was marvelling at how big his junk was lol. Also he thought Reggie was hot so many times I thought he wasgoing to get it on with him!

GameGraphix

Jenn strikes me more as a tom boy…

She has chosen a career as basically a herb / plant / earth mage (can’t remember the term off the top of my head) – which means she needs to go out into nature to gather plants – and is more then likely having to dig in the dirt mostly by herself……to me this is not a ‘glamorous’ career, where you can ‘look pretty’ when doing it..and be surrounded by admirers while she does it

I would image that there are other magic fields that she could have gone into that are more glamorous – probably something to do with illusion or body modification – more focused on improving (or hiding) imperfections – in other words ‘it’s all about me’

and I haven’t seen her do the ‘typically’ girly reaction it things – squeal, it’s a mouse….squeal, it’s a demon….or expect the males around her to take care of the mouse / demon

also, she doesn’t seem to be very focused on her appearance…..no, ‘Oh, no I broke a nail’ from Jenn

Off beat query – what is the gender distribution for mages??? Is it a 50% male / 50% female or is it more bias to one gender???

Tom boys tend to gravitate to non-traditional female careers….I know when I first started studying IT, especially writing code – it was a male dominated field (90%) male

Iume

Does anyone else think Jenn is an older Lisa Simpson. She is convinced she knows how the world works and is trying too hard to be an adult / mother.

GameGraphix

[quote=Burien;5318]

And if you think Jenn is bad, just find any teenage girl and hide her cell phone. Jenn will seem like a saint then.[/quote]

It all depends on whether the girl is more traditionally female or a tom boy…….

I know when I was growing up, I was more often in the mud and the dirt or building things as opposed to the whole clothes, makeup and heaven forbid ‘dolls’ – Barbie still gives me nightmares…..

Although, growing up around big trucks and heavy machinery may have had something to do with it as well [lol]

[quote=Iume;5330]Does anyone else think Jenn is an older Lisa Simpson.She is convinced she knows how the world works and is trying too hard to be an adult / mother.[/quote]

I think that’s a very good observation. When I first “met” Jenn the Simpsons were in their first few seasons, so that wasn’t so obvious to me at the time, however, now, it’s very obvious, now that you point it out.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 99 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.