Beta – Some Things and opinions

Welcome To Astlan Forums Beta Reading Beta – Some Things and opinions

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 99 total)
  • Author
    Iume

It’s just a lack of setup/foreshadowing in book 2. The easiest thing is to simply say he wasn’t involved with Mount Doom, but was Orcus’s son even though he as an active [u]god[/u]. Showed up to help w/ the fight at Etterdam out of filial affection/duty, but died there too.

Only, if he was a god then he had an outer plane and would have been able to escape from Etterdam since the outer plane block is new to the interdiction. So I guess him being an active god doesn’t work unless he faked his death or smuggled dear ol’ dad’s animus off of Etterdam and initiated a Phoenix Cycle for the both of them.

Iume

How come the orcs occasionally refer to Tom as Orcus but never refer to Rupert as Dis Pater?

It’s all due to context and what they are discussing.

They’ve always been discussing the actions of Tom/Orcus. So they are in the awkward do I refer to you in the third person when you called yourself Orcus, or do I refer to you as you. I.e. they are trying to balance talking to Tom about Orcus’s actions (which were Tom’s actions if you believe Tom is Orcus and not an actual heir).

So, some of them are trying to treat Orcus as a different person, in deference to Tom’s confusion, but they are looking at someone who looks like a younger Orcus so it’s confusing.

However, they have not been talking (at least that is recorded) to Rupert about the actions of Dis Pater.

I am also still going to need to work this out. Prior Rupert existed before Tartarus, but he was not involved in Tartarus for some reason. Perhaps because he was busy playing god with the Olympians? Running his own Underworld–OK, this could get tricky if I have to have a spin off series for Rupert reclaiming Dis Pater’s domain.

Well, he is Lord of the Underworld.

That may not be an outer plane, it could be the Abyss, Purgatory or Limbo, which could be interdicted.

None are places I would particularly want to spend time, but the greek underworld wasn’t supposed to be a great place, and Charon is already cruising the Abyss on the Styx.

What I really don’t know is Dis Pater vs Hades I need to get a better handle on that. Both had underworlds, as did Orcus,in fact, Orcus, like Hades was a place, Orcus the place was the place where oath breakers went, you know, one of the special places that’s been reserved.

Perhaps Dis Pater is in Limbo/Purgatory because he runs a staging ground for reincarnation.

Hmm

Dis Pater did not have to die at Etterdam.

He could have continued on in his own realm, his own part of the Abyss, and only Phoenixed very recently to become Rupert.

Nargh.

The trouble is, I know how Rupert came about, but I really don’t have a good plan for what he was doing prior to his birth, in his last life, my assumption was always that he (whatever his name was) died on Etterdam as well or several other iterations of ideas I’ve had.

[quote=Korwin;5220]Important (for me ) question: Orcus is/was the son of an god.
    God and Pantheons are so old, they did multiple Phoenix Cycles, so they no longer even know, what really happened (see Athena and her birth).

So how many Phoenix cycles experienced Orcus/Tom?
    Or was this really his first rebirth?

If not, why are they all so surprised he is back? Zeus was angry about the Orcus slaying. Why should’nt he make shure, he comes back (especially so that Tartarus gets an warden again)?

Who does even know Orcus is Zeus grandson. The 5S do, do the Alvar god know?
    [/quote]

Well, if Orcus had been normally slain on the material planes, he, like the orcs would have re-materialized in the Abyss, Mount Doom. None did.

Therefore, he was “permanently slain” [i]you can’t Phoenix Cycle if you are permanently slain[/i], [color=red]because your animus has been destroyed[/color]. Hephaestus knew what happened at Mount Doom etc. So he would have gone to Zeus to bring this up.

Now, on the other side of the equation, Zeus doesn’t know that Orcus and the Five Siblings conspired to lock Eris and Aetherus up in Tartarus.

Orcus had Phoenixed Cycled before, however, the marriage/wedding and creation of Tartarus happened during the last 100,000 years, i.e. last cycle for Orcus, this cycle for Hephaestus.

Dis Pater/Rupert first showed up after a Phoenix Cycle at some point in the past.

All the Olympians know this, and their related pantheons. The 5S do, and yes, Net knows.

I will also point out from the appendix and the library on this site. “No one” (of the scholars) know for sure who the birth mother of the 5S is. However, they (the scholars) speculate that it is Danu, the alvaran (and others) Gaia/Mother Earth goddess. The one who is plotting with Net.

It’s also important (for me as well) not to assume that all the Alvaran gods are elven based, they’ve just been doing this so long, with their preferred followers that people sort of assume this, and in fact they take elven forms for the elves.

Burien

I had noticed that book 1 had a Tom+Jenn feel,then book 2 Jenn+Gastrope felt a little forced. I dont see anything in this one except Gastrope’s constant fear of Jenn finding out how much he is hiding from her. Just too many trust issues to make that relationship work, I dont think it would ever not feel forced to me. Jenn just hasnt been around enough of the Toms poeple to find out how wrong she is about him. One good trip to doom could fix that, or the Astlan doomalogue when it opens.

[quote=Burien;5230]I had noticed that book 1 had a Tom+Jenn feel,then book 2 Jenn+Gastrope felt a little forced. I dont see anything in this one except Gastrope’s constant fear of Jenn finding out how much he is hiding from her. Just too many trust issues to make that relationship work, I dont think it would ever not feel forced to me. Jenn just hasnt been around enough of the Toms poeple to find out how wrong she is about him. One good trip to doom could fix that, or the Astlan doomalogue when it opens.[/quote]

Yeah, she’s coming up an epiphany, I’ve got more scenes with her, Gastrope’ and Tal Gor, just not sure how much space I’ll give that story in this book. I know I have to do a scene about Ariel’s answer, how much more happens, the mental addition of 2+2=epiphany? Not sure how the space will look for that in this book.

I really was going for Jenn & Tom in Book 1, but felt that her prejudices would be too much to overcome, but on the other hand Gastrope’ might not be right either. They’ve both got some growing up to do, some developing.

I actually cut out some stuff on them in Book 2, not sure, at this point (based on what I remember) how much it might have seemed to help.

I really do not know what is going to happen on the romantic side. In large part because we are only like 2 earth month’s in on these people knowing each other, at a max.

I’ve also put some other feelers out there for Tom, including Zelda and Tamarin, but to date, not feeling it. I’m starting to feel like a dating service….D’Harmony or something like that.

The only couple that rather works for me is Hilda and Trisfelt, but it’s sort of a January December romance….and then what faith would they raise the baby half-saints in? and etc? :d/

[quote=EyeDeKay;5237]Hmm sense Hilda is two hundred plus years old does and trisfelt I can’t remember but presumably less then 50 years old. Does that count as cradle robbing?

[/quote]

Absolutely! That’s what I mean by January-December romance. Normally the term is “May-December” (because May is spring,and you’ve got a spring chicken)

But this is a bit more extreme, and I think she’s 400 years old, don’t recall now, on the timeline though.

EyeDeKay

Hmm sense Hilda is two hundred plus years old does and trisfelt I can’t remember but presumably less then 50 years old. Does that count as cradle robbing?

Mikey

Or more seriously, from whence do animus-beings get their emotional impetus, with no glands. D’glands?

[blush] [lol]

Mikey

Do teenage demons have D’ormones coursing through their animus towards their D’ick?

(This question was sent in by an audience member who had seen Antefalken’s balling of the final battle, Rod Member Richard “Tip” Wang.)

[quote=LCSpartan051;5244]Hows it looking on the next beta?[/quote]

See discussion in Beta 0 Released as to how the battle should proceed.

Yes, that’s really been the problem all along for him. Even as a simple Greater Demon. Some people were like “where’s the romance?”

And I’m like, “He’s been in a strange world, in a strange body, hated by half the people he meets, the other half are nuts, and it’s only been a month. Getting a date is not his first priority.”

It’s very hard to focus on romance when you’re life is in complete chaos and you fear you are losing your mind.

Now, true, some great romances are sometimes spawned in such times, but those are typically between experienced adults that are otherwise very competent and confident. However, many of those don’t last either.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 99 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.