Time Frame on next book

Welcome To Astlan Forums Into The Abyss Time Frame on next book

Viewing 15 posts - 196 through 210 (of 282 total)
  • Author
    Tizzy

[quote]Is dying of….[/quote]

waiting for book ii?

Hmm, this is the first I’ve heard of this army of evil book. Sounds like a good time. I’m going to have to figure out which world it’s happening on so I can convince a wizard there to summon me. I like to be where the action is.

It would be convenient if it were happening some place close like Etterdam, but they’ve already had an army of evil thing thousands of years ago. Unless this is a historical story, in which case we all know how that one ended. Not a good day for evil. Sheesh.

Hopefully in this one, the Forces Of Evil (FOE) will prevail. We don’t get to see it that often. Actually, I am sure it has to happen a lot more often then these fantasy books tell us they do. I am thinking these books must be severely biased. They never report on battles where the FOE wins!

Blatant propaganda if you ask me. I can’t wait for the undead ice warriors to freeze those damn dragons in Westeros…

No you misread what I was answering.

You were talking about video games of 60’s and 70’s, and computer RPG’s. My point was, RPG computer games started with text and ascci, these are the beginning of the logic engines and game AI’s. Nothing to do with art. Art at that time was pong and block graphics. By the advent of the Apple II and VIC 20 you started to see actual computer video games worthy of the name, and the first real ones with the Comodore 64. Atari, Apple II+, IIe and PC’s in the early to mid 80’s. Circa Ultima I. Artistic quality came much later with better video cards.

We also get back to the same question of quality. Many of these early to mid 80’s games had poor video quality and were clunky do to limitations of the day, but they had some seriously good storylines and game play. Much better than the sort of video game schlock you were complaining about. So for example, yeah, they looked crappy by today’s standards, but were really cool at the time, and a lot of their stories were excellent. We hadn’t gotten to the point yet, where “almost anyone with some bucks” could create one of these games and churn out bad stuff.

Not to say there weren’t bad ones, there were, by the late 80’s there were a lot, but not quite to the scale we have today.

Tizzy

T-A-G is busy writing so I’m going to fill in whether he likes it or not.

T-A-G spent a lot of time trapped in FF7 in particular. But then at some point he started going all MMPORGy even though he tended to do solo half the time, which seems to defeat the purpose.

There will be a beta reader program, which is what it sounds like, meaning it’s a prerelease version for a subset of people who sign up/agree to confidentiality, they then read/comment/suggest changes/catch inconsistencies. So it’s an “unfinished release” in that the final release may have additions, subtractions, reorderings.

There will be a sign up list, some people are just saying in advance (in red ink in lieu of blood) they want to be in it and I will try to scrape all those names together, to “pre put them on the list”

There will be a locked forum/topic that only they can read/edit to discuss book 2 and argue points and changes.

Rosver

I know what they are but first computer games are video games designed to be played on a PC. Technically game consoles, calculators (there are games for them too, especially the programmable ones), and your phone are computers but the public don’t label them as such. For me, I really prefer calling them PC games than computer games.

Well, almost all computer games now are video games. Those text computer games have died, just like silent films had died now. Still, there are text based computer games out there, and so are silent films.

Arcade style games are designed to make you spend your quarters, as that their gameplay is very different from other games. One defining feature of an arcade game is that, you can play the levels in a few minutes. Second is that, each level have the same gameplay but progressively become more difficult. Third it has a fast and addictive but linear gameplay. Pac-man, the classic arcade game has these. Each level takes only a few minutes to complete (especially if your a pro), and each level progressively become difficult as higher levels have faster ghosts, and the chase is very addictive. Arcade games also has a penchant for highscores though most games do keep track of scores in someway or another.

The video game I think that first break away from this Arcade style is The Legend of Zelda. Video game RPGs are deffinitely not an arcade game, I definitely would not play one on an Arcade. Most games now also are very nonlinear.

FPS are not RPG, though most games now have RPG elements or are hybrid RPG. One thing that separates them is that you can remove the story element of the FPS and it will still be an FPS, remove it from an RPG and it cease to be an RPG.

I say video games to mean those computer games that has the computer graphics as an important element. PC, Arcade or Console, doesn’t matter. Video games on dedicated consoles are console games. Games designed to be played on a PC are PC games.

———-

By the way I have problem with posting that always ends with me double posting.

Tizzy

I was noticing the double posting, but it didn’t happen this time.

Very weird.

Well, I don’t know much about video games or console games or arcade games…but today certainly felt like one.

Tom is curled up on his new bed in a fetal position, apparently a bit overwhelmed by the day’s events. The bed is very dusty, hopefully it doesn’t make him sneeze.

Got to see both Darg-Krallnom and Arg-nargoloth today. First time in thousands of years. Was a bit nervous they’d want to kill me, but Tom intervened and said ‘No killing Tizzy.’ Now that’s a real friend!

Of course he also told everyone that they couldn’t kill Talarius either.

Oh well, you win some you lose some.

Grant

So how long till beta reading?
    I know its pointless but i tend to check forum everyday even if i add nothing useful to the conversation =p~

ziipoo

@ Grant

Aaah a fellow lurker!

@ Tizzy

I wanted to ask about submitting cover ideas for the next book. I’ve already signed a bloody beta request, and i’m curious if the cover will be chosen before the beta or after? If it is after maybe some people, including me, will have some ideas of what it should look like or even submit a cover of their own making for consideration.

By all means submit cover art suggestions!

If I end up with multiple options I will be requesting feedback from beta users as to what to use.

If the cover ends up being used on the book there will be compensation.

I’d also love to have multiple options for displaying on this site and for advertising the book on Tumblr and Facebook.

It gets boring showing the same cover in every ad/post for the book. And for Facebook and Tumblr different artwork will attract different people.

One of my goals in fact is to make Astlan.net something of a community center. As momentum for the books picks up, I want a place to showcase Fan Art and Fan Fiction should people be interested in writing it.

In fact, a lot of what the library is for is to provide background information for people to write their own stories in the localverse (Astlan and nearby planes with the same Laws of Magic) or maybe inspire artwork…

FYI Everyone in the beta program, and anyone submitting artwork before/during beta (before publication) will get credit in the front matter of the book.

Exactly!

I remember back in the old days, when a) I read faster than I could actually buy books and b) books were rectangular 3 dimensional objects that you had to physically place on shelves and they occupied space…

I would sometime sit in front of my book cases and take a trip down memory lane by pulling a book out and using the cover (and back cover) to pull back my memories of the book and the story to sort of watch a ‘memory trailer’ of the book to remind me of the story and why I liked it, or didn’t like it.

Rosver

@Ziipo

Great idea. If only we could really make good enough work though. Well, there should be at least one out there. Would give a try too. It should not be that difficult yes?

@The Author Guy

I tend to reread mine though. I have reread Around the World in Thirty Days, Harry Potter, some fan fictions and of course Demons of Astlan this last few weeks.

There are books that seems to be more rereadable that others.

I reread a lot, some books probably 10 times, when I was young and broke and writers weren’t writing fast enough there was no choice.

But the trip down memory lane was also part of the way I decided what to reread. actually that was often what spurred the trips, looking for something that needed a refresh.

Unfortunately, today my motto has become: If you have time to read, you have time to write…so stop reading, start writing!

So I very seldom reread any more. I don’t have enough time to even get through my first read queue.

ziipoo

Yeah some books are just so re-readable, like Demons of Astlan, the Stormlight archive, Name of the Wind, The (sort of) Dark Mage and some others. Sometimes i find that I enjoy the books more on the second reading oddly enough, not often but it does happen.

Because I’m so picky when it comes to books I spend a lot of times not finding anything I think is interesting. This of course leads to me re-reading ALOT of times. It is something about the way some authors can write which will make you enjoy just the reading of the books even though you already know all that will happen, something about the way its written that’s more then just an interesting story but the writing itself on its on is enjoyable. If that makes any sense…..

Jonnyboi

It’s probably because the more you go through the motions, The less you’re thinking about your own enjoyment, which leads to lesser enjoyment to trickle down to the readers.

I find that an author that wants to make his book an outlet for his own inspirations and/or sorrows somehow makes it feel more “real” to me.

Tizzy

Personally, I prefer an author that wants to make his book an outlet for MY BELIEFs to be the most enjoyable.

And that’s what I keep telling T-A-G

But that’s just me :d/

Jonnyboi

If we consider the contents of your “Beliefs” tizzy then I’m sure the author can’t go wrong, since I don’t think we even know what it is that you consider wrong…or right for that matter.

Viewing 15 posts - 196 through 210 (of 282 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.