Talarius’s Loyalty

Welcome To Astlan Forums Doom’s Day Talarius’s Loyalty

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 104 total)
  • Author

Same reason I’d wager that people get upset if you rip up their plants out of the ground before they’ve fully grown. You’re essentially wasting all their effort to cultivate it to maturity, whereas adults have already grown fully, and their death isn’t seen as a complete loss, especially if they’re deadbeats, like those damn trees with thorns on them (Locust Trees, as terrible as their name suggests, but some people like their flowers. *shrugs*)

Tizzy

Counter-intuitive/non-partyline argument:

I think I came to this conclusion (for mortals) by spending too much time with Orcs (and D’Orcs)

I find the death of older people (not OLD as approaching natural causes, but older/productive) to be a greater loss.

For example the loss of a spouse or parent/bread winner, life cut short in the middle of productivity, leaving their dependents to fend for themselves?

At funerals, humans celebrate the life and achievements of the deceased. What achievements does a baby have?

And in fact, the premature death of any non-adult is principally a mourning of lost potential. I.e. lost dreams of what might have been. Not a loss of current revenue.

However, your wasted effort argument is very good for children between say 3 and 18/21. (or at whatever age they can be put to work (or breeding) in your culture)

Now, if your dream for the child was for it to support you in your old age, or, add to the family business, increase family income, this mourning makes a great deal of sense, because it is truly a wasted effort towards ensuring one’s prosperity. Particularly if you and your spouse can no longer replicate.

On the other hand, a small infant? Eaten by a random demon? It’s a few months or a year or two, and generally results in less lost productivity than, say, me eating your right arm.

So, yes, a loss of a teenager is bad if you need them for something; although if you are planning on simply releasing them into the wild and expect little or no remuneration from them then?? Ehh…

To be honest referencing gardening probably wasn’t a good idea, as getting the plants is more expensive and difficult than producing a child by comparison. I’ve heard people describe younger children IE 3 and up as Infants more often than not, although you did say babies in the original, and lets not forget depending on the species and various other factors child conception can be difficult, time consuming, fraught with danger and has a chance to spit out something with physical or mental deformities, so yes i would say there is a price on healthy new born babies, despite their seeming lack of apparent gain or value.

Tizzy

Well, certainly their parents seem attached to them for some reason.

Still not sure its a completely rational choice. Hmm, maybe I can start a game show, “Your arm or your baby?” then we can compile statistics from that to get a good measurement.

Now, do not get me started on plants!

Vegetarians are absolute monsters!

Think of it this way, carnivores (on non-high tech worlds) have to hunt and catch their prey and most kill their prey first.

Vegetarians, on the other hand, stalk living victims who are stuck in the ground and can’t run away or escape! Where is the sport in that?

They then often eat their victims alive, and if not they boil or roast them alive! Think of it this way: You notice how when you cut an onion but do not consume it? It continues growing? These are living things and people eat them alive!

And people call me a monster! Now, I may eat your arm while you bleed out, sometimes I’ll cauterize it so you can watch me eat your arm, but typically, I’ll stop at that and not eat the entire person alive, too filling, at least with adults. As I’ve said, I do prefer the smaller Cornish Game Humans that we were previously discussing.

[i][b]Seriously, in my opinion, anyone who eats, but does not eat via photosynthesis, is a murderer![/b][/i]

What about your demon weed? You’re presumably preserving it in some way to ensure freshness? and depending on whether you rip out the entire plant or clip bits off could be construed as murder or torture by your plant standards! And don’t forget that respecting plants is where we get the elves from. Just between you and I, I’ve been working on Plant Animal Hybrids in order to amuse myself, and they’re just as bad as nonphotosynthesizers when it comes to exploiting nature. I named them ‘Florans’.

Tizzy

True, but I’ve already admitted to being a baby eating demon, so what’s a few plants?

I’m just pointing out the hypocrisy of people like the elves. That’s my biggest problem with the LosAlfar, their even more sanctimonious than humans.

Humans are, on average, easier to piss off/freak out, and so much more fun, but when you do manage to freak out a Los Alfar, it’s very much worth the effort (coming back to the whole effort of raising kids)

I really like the idea of Plant Animal Hybrids, I like meat on my salads. Hmm. You don’t by any chance have a cow-potato hybrid do you? Steak and Potatoes?

That would be mighty tasty!

Tizzy

Hmm

Oh well how about Octopus Pumpkin?

We could have Pumpkin-Octopie at Thanksgiving! Or Octopumpkinpie?

Of course, you really should talk to the druids and dryads. Dryads are trees, spirits and flesh. Druids also like to turn lumberjacks and despoilers into trees!

Comparing notes with them could be quite fruitful!

Funny story, Using pumpkins in any combination results in near instant Gooification, so headless horsemen are out, although it is a faster way to prep pumpkins for pumpkin pie and other pumpkin based desserts.

I’m afraid that any Driads and Druids would likely run screaming if they came here, as our Massive Industrial Lumber complexes would be… a scarily efficient sort of beast to them. It makes sense why Science is frowned upon and laughed about in your realms, most likely nature gods, Elves and other nature lovers wish to keep it that way.

I’d be surprised if they found any. It’s mostly run by machines nowadays, and cold hard steel is surprisingly difficult to change into a tree, believe me I’ve tried. Something about the higher Binding energy between Atoms or something, which is why it’s easier to put enchantments on things made of gold or silver. Let’s say you wanted to put a mana storage system on an item, say an iron object and a gold one, or even a Granite object for that matter, the granite/gold item will hold more energy, take less mana to enchant, and be easier to fixate the spell to it compared to the iron one, and as an added bonus the spell will last longer before fizzling out or needing to be repaired because of Spell structure based entropy.

Tizzy

Hmm.

Good point!

However, I assure you, druids, being shepherds of flora and fauna have a lot of friends they can call on, including this [url=http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?271211-Ecology-of-the-Rust-Monster-Re-imagined-3-5-monsters]evolutionary anomaly[/url]:
    [albumimg]42[/albumimg]

And being a natural, they work amazingly well on high tech worlds!
    [thumbup]

I think I’ve seen those before…… oh right! it was on the Moving Picture device. An advertisement for some sort of bug killer, showed one of those in a cage/pit thing, they poured something on it that i can’t remember what it was, and the thing made the damnedest squeaking noise I’ve ever heard and poofed into a cloud of dust like when those War of The World Tripod Devices blast someone. Although it could easily have been a mutated cockroach rather than what that thing is, but they didn’t have metal anywhere around where it was kept. I’ll get back to you on what that substance was just in case you wanted to order some for Doom.

Tizzy

[color=darkred][size=5][b]Rusty is not a little bug! Note the size of him compared to the sword he is eating! Any can of bug spray potent enough for him will probably kill the sprayer![/b][/size][/color]

I never said the thing they killed was small, and you underestimate the power of Scienceā„¢

Tizzy

Nope. Will not, shall not, cannot.

You know there is a reason why very intelligent people when faced with a ridiculous Rube Goldberg style mechanism of action that should not/could not possibly work, they wave their hands and say “It’s all science to me!”

Science is all make believe hocus pocus that follows no clearly defined principles, like magic.

Although, admittedly, Chief Engineer Grommet Spit-Eye said practically the same thing to Trig Bioblast in relation to what shamans do.

Curious cross-perspectives.

Oh well, only one perspective matters! Mine! Obviously! :d/

Personally, and from personal experience, something that has Science And Magic involved in the process ends up being greater than the sum of its parts.

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 104 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.