Rambles and Speculations

Welcome To Astlan Forums The Apostles of Doom Rambles and Speculations

Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 347 total)
  • Author
    Bradyman

The just seeing magic thing is a good point.

I missed the thing about time travel with the world gate. That seems much more likely. What if the time travel occurs in the far future, where Tom is more of a stereotypical demon, and is fine with leaving Ruperts mother. Or if in the past, something happens and Tom is bound by someone and is forced to leave her. Or worst case scenario, Tom goes to the past, meets Rupert’s mother, fathers rupert, and then gets killed so badly that it takes years to reform, or is even completely destroyed.

Or maybe Tom never meets Ruperts mother, and it is all somehow orchestrated by Tizzy, using an incubus. No matter what, Tizzy was probably the first to know about it.

Bradyman

Is Rupert, Rupert’s real name? If I was a young, vulnerable half-demon ( bit of an oxymoron there) going to a wizard school run by someone like Lenamare, I would never give them my real name, just in case they somehow found out. Actually if I was ANYONE getting close to a school run by someone like Lenamare, I would use a fake name. You cant trust wizards.

Tizzy

Lot of ground, interesting….

What Tom does along the way of shaman/priests/links/mana etc is all tied up in the story to come; as a hint, the whole Doom thing is also tied in.

I do point out that apostles are used to spread the word of a deity and establish a church, or at least what these apostles named Peter and Paul did.

Hmm, I wonder if they ever sang with Mary Magdalene? They could call themselves “Peter, Paul and Mary” and sing about magic dragons…

Unfortunately, as you will see, things are going to get a bit more complicated yet, on that front in book III.

I can’t say much because I’m sworn to eternal secrecy.

Bradyman

Well that’s disappointing, too bad demons are famous for their honesty and keeping their word. I’ll never be able to get you to reveal your secrets.

Tizzy

Reasonably certain that “True Name” is not on Lenamare’s enrollment application.

However, pretty sure necromancers do ask for that at some point; same with other dark magi and such. You know, sort of sign yourself into slavery to the master wizard in order to learn his/her secrets.

Key point being, as a dark wizard lord, you want to have solid reigns on your minions lest they try to rebel, overthrow you and use the dark magic you taught them to screw you over.

Bradyman

I wouldn’t put anything past Lenamare.

Tizzy

Good point. If Lenamare did so, I hope Rupert lied. He was purposefully hiding as a human.

Gelcube

I wonder if Rupert even knows his true name?

I’m sure if he does, and that was on the application, he would put down a false true name. He’s been pretty smart about things most of the time.

Apostles of [b]DOOOOOM[/b]™ promises to start the Church of Tommus, Dark God of the Abyss, Emperor of Evil, and All-Around Badass Demon Dude. Imagine what Tom will have to say about THAT!

Tizzy

Yeah, I fear he might be one of the commitmentphobes.

It will take a lot of persuasion.

But I will do it, because I want to be the demon responsible for collecting the sacrificial virgins!

YES,yes…I know; Tom won’t let me sacrifice their lives, but how can he object to sacrificing their virginity?

Hmm, I don’t know, we might have trouble getting gelatinous cube worshipers. Do gelatinous cubes have virginity to sacrifice? As I recall don’t you guys reproduce by splitting in two?

Tizzy

Thanks!

It would be a lot easier if he ate my cookies, but so far he hasn’t tried one.

The cookies really help with anxiety, insecurity, tension, glaucoma, lack of appetite….

Gelcube

Oooo, yeah. Seems whenever Tom tries something strong in the Abyss, he gets stronger. Remember when he tried Denubian ChocoCoffee™ the first time? It allowed him to see and manipulate binding links for the first time. Wonder what your cookies would allow him to do? Maybe he’d get the munchies and eat a soul, or see into Astlan without a link! Farseeing cookies! Ooo, then he could just fade out to Astlan anytime and anywhere he wanted.

You know, I’m pretty sure he could break Lenamare’s link if he really tried. It’s only a fourth order binding. Of course, with it he can find out exactly where Lenamare is. He could also use it to pop in when Lenamare is sleeping and off him.

He’s not using his resources to their fullest!

Tizzy

Yeah the cookies could probably help him on that.

Mortals love demon weed as very small doses greatly facilitates all sorts of transcendental states.

Seers, Voyagers, Sorcerers, Summoners, Link Masters, Shamans, many Druids etc all love demon weed and use it in their rituals and practices.

It’s great for astral projection and all sorts of things like that.

The problem of course is that it’s not as effective on demons as it is for mortals. It’s sort of like x-glargh vs glargh. Glargh gets mortals wasted, but it takes x-glargh to effect demons. You can imagine what x-glargh would do to a mortal. Well…actually you don’t, if they drink very much they die, otherwise they get very sick.

Very odd how normal alcohol doesn’t really affect demons, we have to have Denubian Choco-Coffee(TM), x-glargh, blood wine or several other demonic beverages; whereas avatars seem to be affected by normal alcohol. Or at least the ones in the second book really enjoy it.

EyeDeKay

I thought the links for God’s and mana clouds or whatever they are called couldn’t come to the abyss.

Tizzy

The links get cut off to their gods; this is correct. You can’t directly have a link between the Abyss and the Outer Planes. This oddity is critical to keeping the gods and their minions out of the Abyss.

However, there is no reason that gods can’t come into the Abyss. They just get cut off from their god pools and pantheon pools so all they have are their own (considerable) mana resources.

As you may have noticed, Bestat and friends are all hanging out in their Outpost here, Phaestus spends a LOT of time here (more on that in book iii) and Sekhmekt was here. Phaestus has compared it to being naked/unarmed/defenseless, or feeling weak like with a cold or flu depending on how reliant the god is to doing without their god pool/pantheon pools. He’s spent so much time here (tens of thousand years+) that it doesn’t bother him that much.

Clerics can only do very simple spells and rituals powered by whatever mana they have on hand (which is typically less than a wizard would have since most of the time any mana a cleric collects is shoved up the link to the god/pantheon pools)

In order for a god to come to the Abyss, they either need to go to the Planes of Men first, or use alternate methods to those they normally use.

Gelcube

[quote=Tizzy;3000]However, there is no reason that gods can’t come into the Abyss.They just get cut off from their god pools and pantheon pools so all they have are their own (considerable) mana resources.[/quote]

Gods in the Abyss. Sounds like a D’Orc Doom Metal band!

[quote=Tizzy;2892]Of course, there is also the problem that if the alvar find out, the two will be going to alvaran jail, or maybe the stake for consorting with the FOE.The alvar appear quite calm and rational to most humans, but the really are a rather bloodthirsty lot when riled up.[/quote]

Oh…I just had a thought. What if the alvar DO find out, and tie up Jenn and Gastropè for a good burning at the stake, and as the flames leap up, Tom uses the fire to pull them out and save their lives! SQUEEE!!!

[quote=Tizzy;2994]Yeah the cookies could probably help him on that.

Mortals love demon weed as very small doses greatly facilitates all sorts of transcendental states.

The problem of course is that it’s not as effective on demons as it is for mortals. It’s sort of like x-glargh vs glargh. Glargh gets mortals wasted, but it takes x-glargh to effect demons. You can imagine what x-glargh would do to a mortal. Well…actually you don’t, if they drink very much they die, otherwise they get very sick.
    [/quote]

Oh, oh, another thought! Your magic cookies dunked in Denubian Choco-Coffee™! Now THAT will knock your socks off! If…you know…you wear socks…or have feet.

Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 347 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.