ETA: Next book

Welcome To Astlan Forums Into The Abyss ETA: Next book

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 156 total)
  • Author
    Tizzy

Well you are forgetting the Hogg family from Texas.

The Hogg family were a very wealthy family in Texas, they named their daughter Ima.

[url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ima_Hogg]Ima Hogg….see Wikipedia[/url]

Of course everyone joked that her sister was Ura, as in Ura Hogg, but that is made up.

Will return shortly with more commentary. I gotta get to my local Abyssbucks before all the frapped democinos melt….(it’s hot here)

Tizzy

I don’t know of any that do, demon wizards that is (human wizards most likely don’t know about the myopia).

Clearly, Exador should be able to do this as he fits the bill. Perhaps he does do this. It is curious how he got all those demons to fill the halls of the palace. And there were a lot of little ones, maybe he’s raiding grade schools for a very pliable army of demon servants?

It would kind of make Fagin (Oliver Twist) look like Santa Claus….

And you only thought you had a Hard Knock Life, little orphan Annie…wait until daddy Exabucks adopts you…

So here is my problem then Rosver.

You were in the beta reader program. All you did was complain about how useless and boring the parts you didn’t like were.

I got very little from you in terms of what you did wantd to see, only what you didn’t want to see. [b]When you gave me specific examples[/b] [i]I tried to work to correct those,[/i] sometimes, I could, sometimes I could not. But, really, you gave me very little in the way of corrective advice, just complaints about what you didn’t like with no good strong suggestions for fixing them or improving the story.

I practically begged you for ways to make it better, so you liked it more. But got silence.

And as far as the straw man, well, maybe it’s the difference in languages, but to me, it sounds like you are calling everything you don’t like, stupid, useless, pointless and boring. That’s the message you are telling me. You don’t tell me why, or how to improve it, you just complain.

Clearly Rosver, you are very bright, very analytical and [i][b]I listen to you[/b][/i]. And you had a HUGE opportunity to shape the book in the beta program, and you chose not to do so. You just complained about the lame crap you didn’t like without giving me sufficient feedback to work with.

One thing that annoyed me in your goodreads review is that you brought up complaints there that you never brought up in the beta session. I consider that a breach of beta reading protocol. You should have brought all the complaints up. If I didn’t address them, or I did things without giving you a chance to weigh in, then complain about them in your review. But don’t bring up new stuff after the fact.

So, given all the attention I paid to you, and the opportunity you had. You have some responsibility for not getting what you wanted. That’s why I have the beta program. True, I won’t be able to even satisfy all the beta readers, but it’s an opportunity to build consensus around the things I can change/fix/improve and still keep the story on track.

Here’s a suggestion, anyone can write, anyone can publish on Amazon or Smashwords. Why don’t you try writing a book that you like and putting it out there? Then get feedback and complaints and try to deal with it to make your story better.

I think that will give you a lot of perspective and help you improve your analytical skills and the advice you give. Because, yes, I do want to hear what you have to say, but I need you to give it to me in an actionable manner.

Madfox11

[quote=Rosver;1709]Scary, then I should stop posting right now. IN FACT I should bail out right now. How to unregister?[/quote]

Or make yourself more useful to your demonic master alife and in mortal form so that they have no need to harvest your soul just yet. In other words, get others to buy the book and visit this forum 😉 And fighting that binding with all your strength is a good idea as well. It prevents you from ending up as a lousy imp, and the more powerful you are the less others will make your life miserable.

Mind you, Tilly seems to be assuming everybody registring here actually still has a soul to sell, or even had one to begin with :-”

[quote=Rosver;1709]Who would sell their souls to the demons anyway.[/quote]

Arrogant, power hungry and/or desperate idiots who think they are the exception to the rule that can get the better side out of the deal or who don’t belief in souls and an afterlife. Tricking mortals is also very fun way. I know some demons love to get their hands on the soul of a person and then get one of their frieds to offer their soul in return. Idiotic mortals…

I will have to have the pleasure of meeting your acquaintance at some point, so as to see if he will share some of his tricks-of-the-trade, as they were.

That is a shame about the lack of inhaled mercury in The Author Guy’s diet, but perhaps it’s for the best?

Thanks for the links, and I agree that using mercury in hat production is the better option, especially quality-wise, but it’s
    surprisingly difficult to find around my area, so I often have to use Mercury Alternatives which is no fun.

But what is life without challenges, eh?

– [i]Dirk[/i]

Korwin

did not find the old thread?

Korwin

Late this year still an accurate ETA?
    eARC? Beta Reading?

I am hoping for initial beta testing at end of year. Full regular release at the end of Q1 probably.

I just haven’t had the time to work on the book. The three month contract I started in mid-April is still going and will go at least until end of October. It could continue after that, and since it’s very good money, I’ll want to continue if I can.

So I’m reduced to weekends and evenings, and that of course gets split by normal life.

Rosver

Oh well. Well be awaiting.

There are other books to read though and other stuff to do!

Maou

If you want to break somebody deprive them of all their senses, if they can survive without food give them nothing. If they need it give them something bland and tasteless. They will eventually break from a lack of stimulation. The abyss is awesome at this as their really isn’t all that much. The fact that demons can travel quickly through flight is likely the only thing that allows them to meet others and travel any significant distance to most places.

Also do demons have spaceships they stole from the future which they use to abduct people in the past. If humans had a high tech world it would stand to reason that they would have spaceships. It would then also stand to reason that demons would want one. I know for a fact that I enjoy the thought of owning an orbital space cannon.

Tizzy

Well, I suppose if Exador can travel to Astlan and pretend to be a Wizard, Cleric etc for a few thousand years, then I suppose some other demon lord could travel to a high tech world with spacecraft and become captain/owner. Maybe a space pirate even.

However, I’m not aware of any being brought to the Abyss. For one thing there wouldn’t be any “space’ for it. So unless it can land, (out of luck Enterprise) it would have to be flying around in circles in the air. It can’t orbit the Abyss, so unless you want it to get really far away, you’d have to drive it in circles.

Rosver

Well, things are getting ridiculous here. Spaceships! LOL.

We should have start asking some more other things like:

>Why don’t they steal some biological weapons? They could exterminate the Astlan population with those.

>How about nuclear bombs? They are very great weapons. It might even be able to permamently kill demons.

>I would love to have some of those light sabers. Demons could have “acquire” some of those. Including the sound effects!

>How about robots?

If demons and wizzards could just go ‘anywhere’ they could almost just get anything. Why is it not happening here?

Tizzy

Yes, and that’s actually also a problem for demons.

See discussions in this forum about spawning half demon children on low mana planes to help gather mana to summon (and return) their parent.

If you come from a mana rich place you can pretty easily get anywhere (if you know where it is); but once you are there…getting back is hard.

Now this is why…actually…old fashioned, mana draining Astral travel is often best. If you can summon up enough mana from your home plane (or the destination plane) you can create a corporal body on the remote plane (very expensive/difficult spell/discipline–you’ve gotta be burly) you can then have a body on two planes, and you can go back and forth between the planes simply via astral travel and follow your astral cords to the other bodies.

Now there are some definite dangers in doing this, there are whole treatises on doing this and how dangerous it can be but…it is one way to get somewhere that might otherwise be difficult to get back from.

However, for most Astlanian Wizards, the Earths are just too far away, the laws of magic/physics too different. Whatever it that makes them myopic to people from “Earth” for example, makes them very hesitant/makes it very difficult to asterally travel there, and body creation is prohibitive but…

All that being said, the Gods don’t seem to have a problem on that front…but then, they tend to be hardwired to their God Pool and can draw on that anywhere.

I really wish I had a god pool. Actually, I really wish I could just use magic of any sort. Being a Fiend isn’t easy.

Rosver

Well, the demons seems to be doing it often as Tizzy stated. Escalators, pianos, cars, modern clothing, drinks, etc. If so, it should not be not that entirely hard. If one can go to a world with such technologies before, they could still go back again.

So what is stoping Wizards and demons from doing just that?

@Tizzy:

I was afraid that would happen too. I kinda like the Dragon Knight series by Gordon Dickson but he died before the last book of the series was published. Author Existence Failure is a fan’s worst nightmare.

As for robots… well, why not? It would at least be an object of curiosity to the curious.

Tizzy

yes, demons do.

Of course, realize there are worlds that have technology that aren’t necessarily mana poor.

Mana levels vary from plane to plane. As does Technology.

There are tech worlds where Tech works and there is enough mana for lower level supernaturals, places where demonic possession is real, but not much else is.

Typically these worlds have few wizards simply because it’s too hard and takes too long to learn and then pass on…and eventually technology is easier and so people forget about even trying to use magic, except for some throwbacks here and there.

The Denubian plane is one such plane, they have Interstellar travel, spaceships etc (see reference to it being a giant void with metal pods) but magic works well enough that demons can get there…and in fact the Physics/Magic junction or the Science Fiction/Fantasy barrier is so low that they can use technology to plane hop.

That is where most of the trade that the demons engage comes from…planes where the mana level is low enough that technology evolved, but not so low, the laws of physics not so different, that interdimensional travel is possible.

I’m greatly simplifying here, using basic Astlanian terminology, so don’t take anything in my description too literally. All I’m saying is that there is a spectrum of Tech worlds to Magic worlds, and the ones in the middle allow Tech to travel the dimensions (and time).

For example, there is the universe where a two hearted alien has a blue box that he travels throughout space and time in. However, Tom’s world (as I understand it) is further out in the spectrum to the point that the ‘technology’ used by this non-medical doctor, wouldn’t work.

Finally, I wouldn’t assume there aren’t some wizards that don’t roam other planes and get in trouble, bring stuff back.

They just haven’t brought enough back that’s odd enough to have aroused suspicion or particular note.

DK series was great…that’s going back in time…

Robots again…golems are much better and easier….

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 156 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.