Beta 0 Released

Welcome To Astlan Forums Beta Reading Beta 0 Released

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 130 total)
  • Author

[quote=GameGraphix;5133][quote=The Author Guy;5130]

The Trumpet of Doom is linked to Tom (remember when he gives it to Talarius), as long as he has a link, he can follow it. The only limit would be needing to follow a link through an abyssal wormhole to cross interstellar distances.

I can add that in to what Tom says to Talarius.[/quote]

I remember Tom giving Talarius the horn – but didn’t get the implication that it was the anchor – actually no real explanation of what it would do.

I’m a little bit surprised (and disappointed :^o ) that you didn’t use the sound track “Thunderstruck” by ACDC for your music in the battle – several other authors and TV shows tend to use that for their battle scenes…..[flapper]

The author Joshua Dalzelle also uses it a scene in his book Omega Force: Return of the Archon[/quote]

I was debating what theme song to use. That’s a good suggestion. I’d been thinking Ride of Valkiries and 1812, but both all start off a bit slow and soft.

I’d also thought of the theme song to CSI Miami. I didn’t watch the show, except sometimes in the background, but it’s startup usually scared the crap out of me and the lyrics about not getting fooled again seem rather appropriate…but not sure that Tom would even know it.

Thunderstruck on the other hand, he would know and certainly the whole point of the video/music video is about thunder/lightning striking from they sky.

Burien

I felt okay with Talarius using the battle to take his mind off of everything, but maybe an encouraging word from Orcus just before Tom opens the gate.

[quote=Burien;5127]How about one of Hilda’s group of warriors? I can see her getting attached to them quite quickly, and then feeling guilty and powerless when one dies because she didn’t have the mana to heal them fast enough.[/quote]

Yeah, that’s a possibility, however, she’s not out with them while there is no mana as she’s channeling.

However, one could die in battle and his soul tries to follow the link through her and is stuck…

that would be pretty chilling.

Burien

The first time I re-read the opening of the doomalogue (after it was re-ordered), Walk, by the Foo Fighters was on the radio, and i found it surprisingly fitting to the scene, if not Tom’s entire experience in book 3.

EyeDeKay

Hmm well ok so sentir fallon needs eyes and ears in The Citadel, so a spy saint that could A be in on some of the conspiracy obviously not all of it or B just a pawn.

You then have them fighting before they figure out the relay and Orcus and Company arrive, so they can’t report on the “Orcus knows abound sentir fallon teaming with lilith.”

Have the spy or pawn become friends with Hilda and team (not beragamos) and them being more of a sycophant not that great at processing mana maybe?

Giwdul

Is Tommus getting a much more real-time connection with Orcus/his past self in this battle? First we see the scenes with Beragamos and then he is using all kinds of fancy magic on the field that he seems to just ‘know’ how to do without any learning/figuring out. Old muscle-memory coming back?

Wouldn’t mind another POV on the meteor-batting thing. Maybe from Hilda’s or Teragdor’s perspective?

He would be more likely to have a spy priest.

By the time he learns what’s going on, he can’t get anyone in. Plus, prior to that he knew the Storm Lords were coming, so that would put an actual saint at risk, plus people might notice unless he’s in hiding (like Beragamos)

What I have planned is for Sentir Fallon to discover that all these avatars are suddenly going to Nysegard and he’s not the one ordering them.

Under any reasonable circumstance where the attending archon and prophet are MIA, it would be him taking over such duties, yet, Tiernon has cut him out of the loop.

This is likely to send him into a panic about being discovered.

I reworked the Tiernon Beragamos “mental phone call” a couple times trying to determine how much danger SF is immediately in.

EyeDeKay

A way for sentir to have a saint spy would be because he doesn’t know that the storm lords relearned what they did to orcus. So it could come extra shock that his spy, pawn, or conspirator gets cut off so he can’t learn any new info.

Then the huge load of avatars show up from various gods.

Someone of any of the gods people had to, at some point come into contact with The dagger EM and have been corrupted. That was my thinking for maybe another conspirator who is more sentir’s guy on the ground.

It could have just been a peer in teirnon’s bureaucracy. Maybe his sycophant or what not.

Flakes

Since the undead have been planning this and building up forces for over 1000 years I am picturing a division of undead archers using arrows that are enchanted with the same draining of Excrathadorus Mortis.

http://www.avclub.com/article/genuinely-terrified-performance-try-shooting-real–231613?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=ShareTools&utm_campaign=default

LCSpartan051

I think that the whole interdiction think should happen much closer to sunset. Perhaps the avatars were planning some sort of massive holy mana blast that required the unlife to be within a certain range, but then they were cut off just when they needed it most. This would allow the fighting to get pretty heavy without allowing too many people to realize the philosophical implications of being cut off. Perhaps this would be when someone from Hilda’s group dies, or comes very close to death before Tom shows up. He could then toss the nearly dead person into the abyss(one of the rooms in the Mortal Suite) and thus save their life and earn Hilda’s goodwill(maybe). The moat would prevent them from being instantly overwhelmed.

I have an idea about fixing the whole “The inter-planar interdiction shouldn’t affect links between different planets” thing. What if instead of making the spell an “Inter-planar link-breaker”, what if it just exponentially increased the mana required to form a link/gateway from the current location to anywhere outside the spell. A “Local” gate would require significantly less energy than a gate between planets/planes. Perhaps this is also why none of the avatars can use any of their links priests outside of the interdiction to act as an anchor for a gate since they couldn’t muster the mana for creating a gate to them. Also, Tom’s links would go through the gateway, not through the air. The gateway to the Nysegard Doom could act as a “Window” to outside the Interdiction. Creating the gateway in the first place would be very strenuous for Tom, but he has the full resources of Mount Doom to call upon.

Burien

I was thinking that when Tiernon heres from Beragamos and sends in reinforcements, that this battle would be an excellent field test of the reversed Excrathadorus Mortis. He wanted to find out its capabilities, i cant imagine a situation that calls for an unlife slaying dagger more. Plus the potential for awkward moments this would cause could be so much fun

Iume

In book 2’s appendix on pantheons in Astlan it says:

Dis Pater: God of Fertile Riches, the Element of Earth, Minerals, Death and the Afterlife and Underworld Also known simply as Dis. A god of death and the underworld, but not a particularly dark god. Rather, a god who represents a return to the source of life, the richness of the soil and later rebirth and renewal.

Since Dis Pater is already is use does that mean Rupert / Dis has been present on Astlan while Orcus was gone? Or do we need to do a name change?

Iume

He doesn’t have to be an Earthly god does it? Especially if he just showed up on day after Doom was established. However, Dis Pater as a Grove god implies that he has worshippers and potentially a godpool. Also that he is a possibly a member of a pantheon.

Yeah, it’s definitely a bit problematic.

Now, that being said, in the real world, Orcus had worshipers and, in fact, outlasted most of the Olympians in terms of active worshipers because he was very popular in rural areas. New religions, (aka Christianity) invaded the cities (specifically Rome) first and deities that had more rural followings than urban followings lasted longer.

Now of course, Orcus (in my multiverse) was actually dead at this time, but people still worshiped him on Earth, not realizing he had been kaput since about 2000 BC.

I should also add that on Earth, Orcus and Dis Pater were Greek/Roman gods, but were not always considered part of the core “Olympians”

I take it to be that they are Olympians by birth, but don’t hang out on Olympus, and don’t participate in Zeus’ pantheon pool; although presumably they could, they are family.

Note also that there are multiple pantheons of the Egyptian Gods, the Nyjyr Ennead being one of them. It does not include all of the Egyptian deities.
    [SPOILER]Very specifically it does not include Set and a few others[/SPOILER]

However, as with Hephaestus, gods can belong to as many or few pantheons as they want. The Triad of Memphis has a small pantheon pool of its own (pTah, Sekhmekt, Nefertem)

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 130 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.