Killing Demons

Welcome To Astlan Forums Into The Abyss Killing Demons

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 123 total)
  • Author
    Rosver

@ Maou:

Are you trying to insult me with that last sentence? It seems like you want me dead.

Well, I think you are not trying to, but a lot of information from body language and sound patterns doesn’t really translate in text. What you communicate might not be what you want to say.

Well, for the rest of the message. Well, it seems too convenient a spell. It can essentially render almost any living soul harmless. It is very much like the ‘render beautiful image’ button in 3D CG or instant big muscles tablet or unbeatable god like hero (like Superman) in stories. Aren’t there time delay needed to cast the spell? Aren’t there some form of weakness in the caster when casting the spell? Don’t it take too much energy?

Not to mention, there should also be some counter spells for it. It is quite unbelievable for people not to desire and create spells against it especially to a spell that dangerous.

Also why is it so easy to snatch souls from the body? Wizards seems to be having trouble binding Thomas, then why can necromancers do it with a snap of the fingers?

Maou

Sorry I didn’t mean you personally I meant it in the context of other soul entities. Their is a slight delay, but in Astlanian terms it would be some body who can manipulate souls, like a necromancer takes soul A, which would likely have little to no defense.

Soul A is normally prepared in advance, but it is the component soul if you would. Soul B is likely guarded or the target of the attack. Soul A will then be placed near soul B and will then be forcibly inserted. The two souls will then meld so that they will mix briefly between the two bodies before being pulled into the body of soul B. This process happens both ways. The process is also very painful and takes little time once started. If soul B seeks a new host it will still draw in soul A. It effectively forces a soul entity like a lich to choose eternal insanity or to move on. If soul B quickly moves on soul A will just go into a coma for quite some time due to foreign soul and missing soul bits, it recovers, but it is unpleasant.

It takes some prior preparation for the spell, but the two souls to be merged don’t need to be selected till execution, soul entities are just chosen as the conductor as they could flee to the phylactery and resist or flee the pull with enough preparation or will. A non soul entity would have no defense at all and would be under the complete sway of the spell. Few people have real defenses against soul magic and this could be simplified to telling one soul its positive and the other is negative. If both entities were powerful they would likely be damaged but would survive after a long recovery time, but in most occasions they would both be destroyed as they were fused together. It is a crude and effective skill for decimating souls, and the more powerful the soul the worse the effects. At least from one of the mythos I read, but liches were the only thing that had them on hand as it took time to prepare, it took skill to prepare, and they used it on each other.

I’m not the best at in depth explanations of all subject. Due to my lack of knowledge of all things.

Tizzy

Nargh…had a post was trying to screw with uploading an image and using the forum albums and lost the damn text.

OK.

Long and short of what I’d said.

I am not a necromancer, this is way beyond my pay grade.

However, I don’t think it’s that simple. First souls are animus collections, I think you’d run a serious risk of ending up with both souls leaking and getting dissipated into nature.

If you could merge, then you have the question of will they mix or are they water and oil?

Next you’d have to integrate the consciousness of the individuals, this would be a battle of wills and it’s not clear that the instigator would win.

I think, that if you were to do this, it would be safer to use the biological animus manipulation engines built into the later races like humans. E.g. do a physical merge of the two bodies, then biologically assimilate the two entities which would be far safer. However there is still the question of who comes out supreme.

This then, led me to remember my travels on other planes, where in one instance, I ran into this rather unpleasant race in deep space.

Tall skinny grey skinned guys with big heads and tentacles hanging off their jaw. With these tentacles they’d consume the brains (virtually I think) feeding on the brain emanations: emotions, thoughts, memories any thing intense…they liked to stimulate the brains to induce strong reactions that they could feast on. Eventually they’d consume the entire consciousness of the victim, and then assimilate it into themselves.

I am not sure what happened to the brain dead bodies and any remaining animus…I don’t know if they later ate those or what, or if there was any ‘soul’ left.

And being a potential ‘dinner guest’ I didn’t feel like inquiring too deeply.

So…really a complex question.

here is a Mirror Image I snapped while on the bridge of their ship. The place was really dark, and I didn’t feel comfortable using the mirrors flash spell, since they seemed to like the dark and I didn’t want to be rude.

[albumimg]3[/albumimg]

Rosver

Scary aliens! Are these creatures going to appear in the book?

As for the dark picture, why need a flash, you could just adjust the exposure settings. Also if your camera is advanced enough, you could just take a HDRI picture and adjust the exposure afterwards and even do some cool stuff.

By the way, isn’t it dangerous in such darkness. With such uneven floor and those steps and such, you are very likely to trip over.

If you want some critique to your CG work, well that is a different matter.

Tizzy

It was a small hand mirror, there are limits on what I could do with exposure without washing it out.

I doubt these fellows will show up in this book, possibly in a short story/side story…

CG work? Don’t understand the term. Calibrated Glasswork? Captured Glassscape?

it’s simply a mirror image I captured when traveling the outer realms years ago.

Rosver

Well, it would have been confusing if they land their ships in Astlan.

Is the guy in the middle a wizard? And what is with the brain in the right side? Such a big brain. It must have come from a giant.

Tizzy

he’s the commander of the spaceship.

The race are called Illithid’s in some universes….

[i]these are actually test renders for a series that was never done/finished/published/displayed At that point I was more interested in working with lighting and over all look, so it’s nowhere close to a finished scene–we were talking about them, so I threw out the images[/i]

Maou

Where did this image come from?

Tizzy

From my mirror.

I snapshotted it during my travels on other planes. See how it’s got my name and address on it down in the lower left?

What you think I don’t take a mirror along to take pictures when I travel?

Maou

Where do you keep things. You have no clothing, and have exhibited no magic talent beyond what is normal for a demon of your caliber. So where would you possibly store a mirror without tarnishing its surface?

Tizzy

I don’t know if you’ve realized it, but I have four arms, and two backs I can carry 4 suitcases and two backpacks….

Maou

You could, but you don’t. It’s a miracle you can consistently remember your name. You would likely forget your items somewhere and later be surprised when questioned later as to what happened to your equipment. This is based off of past history and what is found in the novels, and discussions.

Tizzy

I can remember my name! It’s….

Hey…wait a minute! Is this a trick to get me to reveal my true name?

Not going to work…

Rosver

That was close! Maou might be a wizard or sorts and like to enslave you.

Still the question is valid, where oh where. I don’t think you put them under your armpits or you had a pouch like a kangaroo.

Tizzy

Where did I put my true name?

In an urn, buried underground in a deep dark place.

Maou does sound like a wizard’s name, lots of extra syllables hard to pronounce.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 123 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.