Discrepancies from book 2

Welcome To Astlan Forums Complex Issues or Questions Discrepancies from book 2

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 72 total)
  • Author

[quote=Iume;5619]That would have to be at least three hundred thousand years.[/quote]

Just going to eliminate this line and leave it a other phoenix cycles. It doesn’t even make sense that he would be going 300,000 years if gods are only a hundred or so centuries for cycles.

LCSpartan051

Is one required to have an outer plane in order to become a signatory of the Concord of Conciliation? If so, then the Nyjyr Ennead aren’t violating the Balance since they don’t have an outer plane.

I would think that the Mirror determines if one is a demon by sensing the binding to the Abyss, so Bess would not show up, but Tom and rupert would.

When I was in college we all did that line over and over. It is a classic.

LCSpartan051

Didn’t their outer planes collapse? I remember that from book 2. And their god pool is just an extra-massive mana pool.

[quote=LCSpartan051;5927]Is one required to have an outer plane in order to become a signatory of the Concord of Conciliation? If so, then the Nyjyr Ennead aren’t violating the Balance since they don’t have an outer plane.

I would think that the Mirror determines if one is a demon by sensing the binding to the Abyss, so Bess would not show up, but Tom and rupert would.[/quote]

No, just be a pantheon, god or other independent immortal. There are a number of deities who do not have outer planes.

Actually, that’s one of the best explanations I’ve heard of for the mirror. It’s measuring the strength of the connection to the Abyss or something along that line. Assuming bigger demons have bigger links, like priests, saints, archons do to godpools. However, demons don’t derive mana from the Abyss, or do they? It’s not a god pool but maybe it’s a source/anchor for demons and the more powerful the demon, the more powerful the link.

But…in that case Bess’ incarnated form might show up. Of course, this brings up, what are those forms on the Uropia? Are they incarnated or generated bodies? A generated body would possibly not show up, since it would have no Abyssal link, an incarnated body on Uropia would also not show up, but a body incarnated in the Abyss might.

Tom has a traditional demon generated body, so Orcus or not, he would show up as a demon at that point.

Korwin

[quote=Mikey;6020]Maybe it’s a hedge against people trying to permanently kill him; every time someone seriously tries, there’s one more copy of him running around making life difficult for the kind of beings who’d try to permanently kill him in the first place?[/quote]

Nasty, so we would now have, Tommus, Rupert and Dis Pater somewhere….

Giwdul

[quote]
    Beragamos say the same balling that the Tiernon and Torean saw. Why didn’t Beragamos recognize Tom as being familar? In book 2 the suspicion of Orcus is brought up and Beragamos still didn’t recall / recognize. [/quote]
    1) Many of the high-power immortals are capable of shape-changing at will into any form that they can picture in their heads.
    2) As far as anyone has been able to determine (in Tierhalon at least) Orcus is long dead and gone.
    3) Tom isn’t an exact duplicate of Orcus and it has been thousands of years since Beragamos has seen Orcus.

Given all that, Beragamos might not have considered it a viable possibility until after he’d met Tom face to face.

Iume

[quote=The Author Guy;5678][quote=Iume;5560]Trisfelt never shared his suspicions about Rupert being a demon with Jenn?It is implied they have been communicating thought it was never explicitly stated.Or did I misread?[/quote]

Can you refresh me on these suspicions. I don’t think it was stated that strongly in book 1. He was puzzled by the horses fearing him, but did not, I think, suspect he was a demon.

Or are you thinking of something in Book 2?[/quote]

Book 2. Hilda and Trisfelt saw the recording, Danyel said the greater demon was named Rupert, Trisfelt recalled the problem with the horses, some more discussion, Trisfelt seemed fairly certain but still willing to doubt.

EyeDeKay

It was after jenn left.

in chapter 95 DOF+5, after the battle on the Nimbus with the ice dragons.

Yup he has suspicions, but no confirmation.

[quote=Iume;5928]They still possess a godpool, so presumably yes they do have an outer plane.Given who they are I suspect each of them belongs to multiple pantheons so they have a personal godpool and outerplane somwhere even if it isn’t the shared Nyjyr Ennead pantheon outer plane.[/quote]

That would be a pretty safe bet. Pretty sure gods don’t talk much about their personal godpools.

We do know, however–I think–that the Nyjyr Ennead Pantheon Pool has been reproduced in Astlan due to advanced wizardry. They’ve somehow figured out how to move most of their operations to the local operations. They may still have some “utility” outer planes for things they can’t transfer though.

EyeDeKay

[quote=fallen_one_84;5794]

wait wasn’t there a part that said that it was a standard form semi-common among tier 4? greater demons.
    can’t remember what tom is 4 i think or 4.9.

[/quote]
    This is probably one of the things that always confused me. So in bk1 Talarius had the holy mirror of demon seeing.It’s names not important, but it can see through shielding people have for demonic influence.

There are 3 archdemons and only 1 greater demons according to the mirror.

When Rupert is in the tent with Talarius and verigas being found out as a demon, Talarius uses the mirror. Rupert shines green in the mirror.

The mirror works by shining a light that corresponds to a demons power being red, orange, yellow, green, blue, indigo, and violet.

Bess isn’t in freehold that we know of on this specific night but we know she’s a goddess in disguise anyways so she might not show up at all.

Therefore by the process of science Tom is a slightly less powerful archdemon then Ramses and Exador. But adding in the power of Doom, and the satellites he becomes a demon prince.

Fastest upgrade to a God like levels I’d say.

[quote=LCSpartan051;5930]Didn’t their outer planes collapse? I remember that from book 2. And their god pool is just an extra-massive mana pool.[/quote]

They shut them down on their own. Collapsed was the term used by Tiernon etal who don’t know what actually happened.

[quote=Iume;5611]prior to releasing Book 2 for beta last year what did you plan to have it cover that got pushed to book 3 and book 4?[/quote]

What did I intend to cover in Book 2 that got pushed to Book 3? or 4?

Beta for HH brought the Storm Lords attacking the Nimbus.

Beta brought forth the Knights of Chaos and pushed the resolution of Lilith’s demon army to book 3

The Seas of Astlan story got migrated off the board, so to speak, this was leading to a lot more backstory on the brigands and the book. So we lost a lot of focus on the book. Not sure it will make it back in to the main story. How that would have interacted with everything else is now alternate timeline. These are the adventures of Captain Asmeth and his passengers (the guys that stole the book) and their journey south past Oorstemoth to Hearthean territory and Natoor and Noajar.

Originally, the Nimbus was going to Natoor and Najaar for a lot more Nyjyr Ennead interaction with Reggie.

The thing with my “writing style” (at least for this book); my story telling style is that it was very much honed over centuries of DM/GMing. I design a campaign, a world, a problem/quest, a situation and the “characters” are the “players” (I would say the beta readers are like the player’s conscience/push back mechanism, like when a player goes out of character and calls BS on the GM)

So I build the characters and let them loose to follow the thread and their own nature/interactions shape the story, even as a campaign is shaped.

I know where I want the story to go, where it is “supposed to go” but how we get there is anything but certain.

So I am trying to direct the story, but my characters have free will. Part of what the beta readers do is tell me when the characters aren’t being true to themselves.

This is why I tell potential beta readers that you see thread of alternate realities. The beta reading can seriously change the course of the story.

[quote=The Author Guy;5780]So the big problem I am having with Sentir Fallon, Beragamos and Tiernon recognizing Orcus is that I don’t want to give away the library scene where Tom realizes he looks just like Orcus.

I do allude to it with Torean and Tiernon, but don’t push it.

I admit it should have come up in Book 2, but I wasn’t ready for the revelation and didn’t even think about them recognizing him at the time.

[/quote]

wait wasn’t there a part that said that it was a standard form semi-common among tier 4? greater demons.
    can’t remember what tom is 4 i think or 4.9.

I think i remember some demon saying/thinking some people have all the luck.
    about tom

i think it was in book 1 when he is visiting the courts.
    can’t be too sure.
    or maybe it was zargofastan.
    when he is protecting his master.

also its been 4000 years since they last saw either form of Orcus in the flesh their memory might be hazy.
    they might have the same thing that Orcus has with the library of enemies.

you can have Tiernon go to his hall of remembrance to look at what Orcus looked like and just say this is troubling.

also i don’t think Beragamos or sentir fallon would have a wall of enemies to keep his memory fresh on how Orcus looked like.

he only appeared in his human form at the citadel of light meeting.
    Beragamos could say didn’t you used to have a beard.
    because the book seems to focus on the beard.

Iume
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 72 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.