Volume IV Title

Welcome To Astlan Forums Apostles of Doom Beta Volume IV Title

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 46 total)
  • Author
    Korwin

[quote=The Author Guy;6109]Heaven’s Doom is fantastic.

I like Heaven’s Wrath, but I don’t know that it fits for the book.

Thinking of plot points I suppose I could also do “Revenge of Big Sis” Although I’m not sure anyone knows if she’s a big sis or a little sis. “Revenge of Little Sis” [biggrin] [/quote]
    Doomed God of the Abyss?
    Doomed Family?
    Revenge on Doom?

Giwdul

The Demon God

You can vote multiple times. I should think you can change your vote.

Try editing the post in which you originally voted.

I believe you have to be in posting mode to vote, so if you go back to the post you voted in, you should be able to edit that vote.

I will check the settings to see if there is some other setting for letting people change their votes.

Not sure if it’s the first time or not. Orcus is accused by many of being an Atheist and not amenable to the “God Establishment” and their whole godpool worshiper scheme which is really a racket to keep them in power for eternity.

But in any event, there will be differences. Of course one problem is that is it a true difference or just something different from the last incarnation? Perhaps resurfacing something from 2 incarnations ago?

The following is an alternate hypothesis. It is not actually a “direct spoiler” because I am not stating it as the truth. I am stating it as an alternate explanation as to what is happening. However, it might disturb people and trick them into thinking it is “the truth” rather than “a truth.” So I wrap it in Spoilder tag.

It is something that has been previously discussed, so I am simply reintroducing it.

[SPOILER]Or, is this Phoenix thing really not true ‘re-incarnation’ but rather a role that completely new people come in to fill and get shaped by “the role” and the “expectations” people have for the role. I.e. perhaps Tom is not Orcus reincarnated, but has assumed the “mantle of orcus” and what he is experiencing is the expectations of everyone who knew “Orcus” For example, once Hephaestus, Tiernon, Torean, Lilith, Sammael all decide Tom is Orcus, does he start conforming to their expectations, even as he did when summoned as a demon?[/SPOILER]

Skaar

“Doomed God” sounds good not only is it describing Tommus as the God of Doom it also foreshadows the trouble heading his way.

Cool.

I’ve added The Doomed God and The Prince of Doom

Hopefully people can figure out how to update their votes if they need to.

George

The lord of oaths
    The Oath Keeper
    The Legions of the Forsaken One
    The Forgotten God
    The God of Orc’s
    The Patron of the Lost

I like it too, I went to add it to the list to find it was there. I literally don’t remember it being there!

That actually is something I’ve been thinking about.

In theory, originally, beta demons, like their mortal equivalents “Beta Readers” begin reading after the first draft of the book.

For Book II, that was the case. It just so happened that the beta readers yawned so stupendously that the first draft ended up being like 80-85% of the finished book.

For Book III, I had a schedule that I had to be on to get a year end release and on the editor’s schedule and I got swamped in August/September with my day job. Hence the only 75% finished. That was not expected.

That being said, just like in Book II, the Beta Demons had great inspirational effect on the story line and ended up moving it to a different place. Specifically, on thing where I was stuck, just discussing it with Beta Demons gave me ideas on how to move forward.

So, I have thought about “Alpha Demons” for the entire process.

But the rub is this: It’s a long and inconsistent haul for everyone. Mainly because I tend to write in spurts due to my job. So the can be lots of down time.

Ideally, at some point in the future, once I reach a “break even” where I can get 60 to 70% of my income from writing and can spend 60% or more of my time writing I’d be writing continuously and Alpha Demons would not have long stretches of boredom as I try to eek out some money to eat on.

As it is, Oct/Nov/Dec I’ve nearly done book exclusively, which tends to make one hungry while waiting for the book to go on sale and royalties to come in (it’s odd how writing has a very similar feast or famine income schedule, just like consulting). So I am probably going to have to dig in to doing “day job” stuff for a few months starting in January.

Also this time around I am trying to finish 2 books, CoA:ITW and Vol IV. So there will be periods (e.g. 2 to 3 months) where I am almost exclusive on the other book (I think: I say this because even though they join up, the narrative tone of ITW is very different, initially, it’s a bit more “Jane Austin” if you will due to being told from the point of view of a rather pampered prince who has to rough it)

Whatever the schedule I really would like to get CoA:ITW out by August if I can and then by overly optimistic thinking Vol IV a year from now, but realistically it may be March for vol IV.

So anyway, I am open to suggestions, if there are people interested in an alpha process, we can consider that. Possibly a combined CoA:ITW/DoA:??? alpha.

GameGraphix

A little bit off topic, but what are your plans for the beta of the next book???

Will you be banishing the Beta demons off to a dark corner of the Abyss for 6 month to starve and then feed us a 75% completed book, or trickle feed us small portions of the book as you write??? [-o<

Tizzy

Yes, but David Boreanaz is Unlife! He’s a vampire! And he liked to fight demons as I recall! Although he did sometimes help them…hmm

Very complicated.

Although, full disclosure

I was once sued by someone retaining Wolfram and Hart as their lawyers.

Spoiler for crude reference to Adult Situations.

[SPOILER]On the third hand, these titles might hint at a Tom/Hilda ‘ship. Just saying.

Tomda, Hilmus? Hilcus? Orda? [/SPOILER]

GameGraphix

You could always name it like a “Bones” episode…

The Devil in the Divinity

or

The Divinity in the Demon

[lol] [flapper] [lol]

Not sure what will fit in there, depends on what fits into IV.

There are a number of major issues to resolve yet.

Not the least of which is the back burnered Nyjyr Ennead plotline. Lots of bad blood there.

I also need to think about whether or not I want to pull the Seas of Astlan plot back into this. This was the storyline from HH Beta about the brigands that stole the book. They have very interesting tie outs/cross over with both the Nyjyr Ennead and the Storm Lords

So as we know right now, we have the following groups:

Freehold & Lenamare & Jehenna
    Exador/Ramses/Bess (on and off with Bess at moment)
    Storm Lords
    Mount Doom
    Aodh/Lilith/Sentir Fallon
    The Five Siblings
    Hilda & Crew (maybe different from 5S, maybe same–Beragamos got some splainin to do)
    The Nyjyr Ennead
    Oorstemoth/The Inferno
    Sammael vs Melissance and her hubby.
    The Tribunal (& Stainsberry)
    The Grove/Nimbus
    The Olympians (maybe)
    Sutakh, the Baron (Lords of Chaos), Dysnomia & Eris’ other children
    Djinn
    And to some extent yet to be determined House Narthan (Into the Wilds)
    The Orcs and their restoration of glory (which is technically Doom but will be a source of pressure for Tom)

Not sure if I want to bring the brigands back in, might spin that off completely, still dealing with Storm Lords and Nyjyr Ennead

There is a lot of background with the Nyjyr Ennead, Sutekh and the Storm Lords that we haven’t touched, which is where the brigands were supposed to come in. That may all be in Seas of Astlan and kept out of the main story line. I have no problem pulling secondary groups in to the side books, such as the Storm Lords and the Nyjyr Ennead.

So there are lots of balls in the air. It’s the characters and their interactions that determine where we go. It’s a question of how much gets covered in Book IV.

I actually think we got a lot covered in III, most of the players are now on stage. Most of the rest should be there by book IV’s end.

This is why I am not sure if the total number of volumes is 6 or 7 or maybe 9? Don’t like 8. Either want a “2 or 3 trilogies” or a prime number. So 6,7,9,11

And that’s also where the side books come in, trying to keep that number down and the “core story” of Tom moving along at a good pace.

Iume

So, what is book 5 about? Divine Inc.?

Gelcube

I really liked Holy Hell. Not just as a book title, but as a curse. You know, “Holy Hell!” You know SOMEone’s going to say it at some point. LOL

GameGraphix

There are pros and cons to both approaches….either wait unit the first draft is at 80% before handing over to the beta readers or releasing out a chapter or 2 at a time..

with the first approach, it takes a fair amount of time for the beta readers to get through the draft due to the size of the books, and there is a lot of feedback to keep track of and incorporate…..which even as a beta reader I have trouble tracking what has changed between releases, what has been fixed and what is left to be fixed……but, we do get to see the overall story flow for the majority of the book

with the second approach, it would be easier to digest smaller chunks of the book at a time, and possibly catch inconsistencies sooner as well as the dreaded typos and grammar issues, and story feedback and suggestions….but the drawback is that the beta readers don’t know where the story is going….

maybe the solution is to split the process into 2 phases…

Alpha Readers – supply a rough outline of what the entire story will be, and release small chunks of the book as you write – which would require the Alpha readers to wait between “chunk” releases…..for the first rounds of suggestions & fixes

Once the first draft is done – release to the Beta Readers…

Although I would suggest keeping the Alpha readers to a limited number of people that you feel have given you the best advice / feedback during previous beta releases – too many people, and you’ll get too much feedback and advice, and never get out of the Alpha phase

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 46 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.