Some thoughts about Book 2

Welcome To Astlan Forums The Heavenly Host Some thoughts about Book 2

Viewing 14 posts - 31 through 44 (of 44 total)
  • Author
    Tizzy

Oh yeah, my bud Mani! Haven’t seen him for a while. He moved about a thousand years ago but forgot to tell me his new address.
    This is not the first time a friend of mine has moved and forgotten to tell me where they were moving to. Odd, how forgetful some of my friends are.

Great guy; unfortunately for him he’s now down here in the Abyss, somewhere. Happens to a lot of religious figures for some reason.

He spent his first century or two down here trying to figure out if the Abyss was a spiritual world of light or a material world of darkness.

It’s actually a very difficult question to answer, as will become more evident in Book 3.

In any event, my answer, which he was not satisfied with, was that since it’s always light down here; it’s a world of light.

Yes, red light, but it’s still light and it never gets dark.

Simple answers are always best for peace of mind.

Mikey

ROFL

This is great stuff!

However, the one thing I found rather implausible about the show is that apparently, they expect us to believe that Melbourne doesn’t have HD TV in 2016!

I’m sorry, but this anachronism clearly stretches the plausibility of the entire episode, calling everything else into question!

Going to binge the other 5 now!

Thanks!

Hmm, very good question and very similar to one that Tom and Tamarin are asking in Book 3.

Gelcube

Hey, I noticed that line as well, but kept forgetting to mention it. That’s a VERY good question, and several good suggestions on the fourth player.

Iume

I am re-reading book 2 in preparation of being a beta demon for book 3 and I ran across this line, “However, both Völund and I were off plane at the time, or things might have gone differently.” Phaestus frowned at the memory. “That was a very big mistake. All four key players gone at the same time. One we shall not repeat”

So, who was the fourth key player?

We have:
    Volund
    Hephaestus
    Orcus
    ???

One of the djinn, another demon, Tisdale, someone else?

Iume

The musing of Hilda & co regarding Rupert’s parentage makes me wonder whether demons are restricted to one gender or not. What’s to stop a male demon from turning female or a female from being male? What about being an incubus / succubus. Is that actually restricted to specific individuals or can demons shapeshift as needed?

Tizzy

Hmm,

Interesting points. If you can shape shift into horribly disgusting forms; you know, like a human being, then you should be able to change your gender.

However, I don’t know of too many that do. It’s not at all common. I have heard stories of gods doing, fairly often, so I’d bet demons could

But I think you point on being comfortable in the form.

Most cisgendered individuals would find it uncomfortable, but transgendered and more exotically gendered people could have fun.

And, now that I think of it, there are definitely hermaphrodite and hermaphrodite++ demons; so…the answer is most likely yes for those that can shift; and/or shift easily. I am a ciscisgendered male myself; I can do a threesome with just one other person (I prefer the ladies myself–although Reggie is pretty temptiing, but that’s cause he’s an incubus, so he cheats).

As mentioned some people can really only manage to memorize two forms; demon princes, which as we shall see in book iii, can have a large number of forms; as, for that matter can archdemons. I think we’ve seen several for Ramses. Bess has a lot, but she’s actually a goddess.

Exador mostly looks like Exador (at various ages); and honestly, that is enough to scare the crap out of most people.

As far as incubuses and succubuses or incubae and succubae, they are distinct, and a different form of demon. You can’t shape change into one of them; and if you are one of them, you could maybe look like the other one, but your powers are tied to which you really are.

Gelcube

[quote=Tizzy;3431]Hmm,
    As mentioned some people can really only manage to memorize two forms; demon princes, which as we shall see in book iii, can have a large number of forms; as, for that matter can archdemons. I think we’ve seen several for Ramses. Bess has a lot, but she’s actually a goddess.
    [/quote]

Which makes Tom very interesting, as at the end of ITA, he didn’t go to a memorized form, he made up one on the spot that he’d never taken before. Sure, he had a glob of god-mana in him, but that didn’t seem to change the difficulty, just made it easier to do.

I wouldn’t read too much into Tom’s alternate human form. He didn’t put much thought into it.

His thinking was: “I want to appear human, like him, to show him that demons aren’t that different from humans; but I don’t want anyone to recognize Edwyrd.”

So he rather on the fly created a generic human form, that was similar to Edwyrd, but with some differences so he wouldn’t be recognized. He was filled with god mana and had resources to burn in the heat of battle.

I very much doubt if he could recreate that form again, since he really didn’t memorize it.

Now, all that being said, the ability to create an adhoc form and hold it for any length of time without it shifting or melting or turning red and horny is an impressive thing. However, he didn’t have to hold it that long, and only talarius had a close up view, and might not have been paying attention if things like eye color/shape of nose were sort of fluid from moment to moment.

The real trick (as will be discussed more in book 3) is consistency and detail. It’s much easier if you can fudge the details of the form from use to use.

However, people who know you well will eventually notice.

Sort of like a mole on the king’s face moving around. [YOUTUBE]https://youtu.be/iCMgoDu3WkU[/YOUTUBE]

Iume

Speaking of Tom’s multiple forms, I hope he learns multiple Orc forms (one for each world / Orc type). Since this requires a lot of shapeshifting he’ll need many outfits so he should learn how to access hammerspace just like Tizzy and Antefalken.

Yes, he held it, he was hunched over, so not sure if anyone would have noticed moles moving around his face with all scrunched up.

But you are correct, he did, he kept it together.

And, yes, book 3 will be dealing with various forms and clothing/wardrobe quite explicitly.

Iume

Given the bond between Gastrope and Tizzy I wonder ifnTozzy cast the demon familiar spell on himself and then transferred it to Gastrope much like how our warlock transferred his bond to Tom.

I also wonder how the first demon binding spell or even the modern version came to be. Perhaps demons used to cast the familiar spell on themselves and then gave it to others as a pledge of service. Then wizards stole it, perverted it, and turned a tool of loyalty and trust into a yoke of slavery.

I am not sure I am following you.

It was very clear to me, when in Freehold, this Gastrope’ fellow had a bound demon named Tizzy, a very annoying creature.

Why on Astlan would one think that an annoying and devious creature like that octapodal demon would purposefully want to be a demon slave?

No clearly this Gastrope’ fellow used a[b][i] very [/i][/b] old school binding on this demon. I have to admit, that I am puzzled by how this rather, vapid, conjuror could manage such a classic, and rather complex spell.

That being said, I do have to give him some respect for it. Rest assured it was no simple familiar spell, it was a very complex binding that has not actually been used in centuries. For someone of Tizzy’s minor significance, we have far simpler spells that would work. In fact, I would argue, that wasting such a beautiful work of conjury on such a minor demon shows a strong lack of discipline on Gastrope’s part.

Viewing 14 posts - 31 through 44 (of 44 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.