Some thoughts about Book 2

Welcome To Astlan Forums The Heavenly Host Some thoughts about Book 2

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 44 total)
  • Author
    Gelcube

Ooooh, Oak Orcs of the Antilles sounds really interesting. It would be especially neat to see what people (specifically orcs) think about Tommus from outside. Also, it would be VERY interesting to see if Trig could pull mana from Tom like a…priest. Heheheheh.

I imagine that would definitely kickstart The Church of the Dark Lord Tommus.

Naturally, Oooorcs in SPAAAAAAACE would be cool anyway.

Seas of Astlan will be interesting. PIRATES! ARRR! I could listen to the Pirates of the Caribbean soundtrack while reading it!

Kristof Torson. I hope he’s either a non-typical Prince of Awesome, or the Annoying Super-Prince Archetype.

[quote=Iume;3004]A POV story from one the D’Orcs[/quote]

Oh, now THAT’s an idea. OR, maybe Lesteroth or Bellyachus will join Tom’s crew, and get paired with a D’Orc. Think of all the adventures! Like a demonic Lethal Weapon. Which is Riggs, and which is Murtaugh?

Yeah that was basically the intention with the title; but as comments revealed I had to get a strong Tom story in as well. But really, the distribution of action from first half to half was due to Tom being in the cave, which was very boring, so the Hilda story (hopefully not boring) took front and center. Otherwise it would probably have been more evenly balanced.

Yes, on the short stories or novellas; the other “series” I am percolating on are:

[list][*]Seas of Astlan: (First book tentatively called: Red Sky at Dawn)
    Asmeth, and the guys who stole the book which could then spin off the backstory of the heist. Starts by expanding on deleted book II material. Who knows I suppose I could start going all the way back to the heist but then this book gets to be as long as a DoA volume.[/list]
    [list][*]Chronicles of Astlan: (no title for v1 yet)
    This is the story of Kristof Torson, Prince of Etonia; the youngest son of the Holy Etonian Emperor who is currently planned to show up in DoA III, or IV at the latest.[/list]
    [list][*]Oak Orcs of the Antilles:
    This is the story of Trig Bioblast, one of Tom’s shamans who is: Second Shaman of the OCSS SkullCrusher (Oak Clan Starship Slayer)
    [/list]
    [list][*]Legends of Astlan:
    Short story collections and novels of historical events in Astlan/localverse[/list]
    [list][*]Tales of the Demon Bard:
    This is Antefalken’s story(ies) not sure on overlap between this and Legends of Astlan, I might have Antefalken narrate LoA stories, in which case these merge.
    [/list]
    Some of these I see as short novels that I write while subject to writer’s block on the main story.

Anilord stories would be either of the later ones.

Also as I’ve mentioned, I’d like to see about others writing in the universe either as free fan fiction or as anthologies or “official/canonical” jointly published work.

Iume

[quote=The Author Guy;3003]Hi,
    There is a lot of interesting stuff going on, but including it gets distracting to a lot of people (see too many POV/storylines) I am debating on how to spin off other shorter “sideline” series (E.g. The Seas of Astlan for the Captain Asmeth story cut from book ii). Who knows some of it may not get told until after the fact.
    [/quote]

I remember arguing about this in the beta read. Are you considering short stories to supplement the things that happen during the main story?

If so, here are some things (pre, during, and post) I’d pay to read about:
    – The final days of Orcus
    – The theft of the book
    – Side adventures of characters we’ve met (Asmeth, Jenn, Gastrope)
    – A POV story from one the D’Orcs
    – Orcs in spaaaaaaaaaaace dealing with the rise of Tommus
    – An anilord story

You know, by the title “Heaven’s Host” if I had not read the beta I’d have expected the book to be about Hilda with Tom as the side character and it was that way in the first half of the book. Then it switched to Tom with Hilda as a side character.

Iume

The things you catch when you re-read again: “He had read stories of demons peeling the flesh from their victims, rubbing salt on the muscle tissue and then replacing the skin and massaging them. Talarius shuddered. Only the foulest of dark fiends would even think of such things.”

I forgot this was something Lenamare was willing to do and Exador loved to do it. Nice callback.

I so want to put Lenamare & Talarius in the same room just to see the blood fly.

Tizzy

Yeah, not sure what I hear the orcs and D’Orcs talking about is going to line up well with what Tom is thinking.

Thinking their idea of a Restoration of Glory goes a bit beyond just clearing one’s name and setting the record straight.

However, some things are getting turned again on their head as we move along into Book 3 and then to 4 and 5 and 6 and 7 and I have no idea…

BTW. Noticed commentary about F.o.L. in another thread from last night.

In book two we were more formally introduced to the F.o.G. and F.o.E. Forces of Good and Forces of Evil.

The F.o.L. and the F.o.D. are coming in book 3.

Of course, it will then start getting confusing because there are two different F.o.L.’s. One is opposed to the F.o.D. and the other is opposed to the F.o.C.

We met the F.o.C. at the end of Book 2.

And as my poor tuna canned friend is finding out, the F.o.G and the F.o.L. (vs F.o.D.) are not a union; they are more of an intersection.

Gelcube

Too deep for me. I’m pretty shallow (metaphorically speaking, since I’m a cube).

The thing that jumped out at me from that quote, though, was that passion for your goals. Tom’s only goal at this point is protecting the D’Orcs, and returning them to glory…which kind of means he’ll have to go on the warpath at some point. Probably sooner rather than later.

Rosver

Uhhhhh?

I don’t get what that is about… Still its great to read some obscure copy/pasted quote! I love quotes.

Mikey

[quote=Rosver;3237]Tom becoming evil? Hmmm… Might be interesting.[/quote]

Politics is a strong and slow boring of hard boards. It requires passion as well as perspective. Certainly all historical experience confirms–that man would not have achieved the possible unless time and again he had reached out for the impossible. But to do that, a man must be a leader, and more than a leader, he must be a hero as well, in a very sober sense of the word. And even those who are neither leaders nor heroes must arm themselves with that resolve of heart which can brave even the failing of all hopes. This is necessary right now, otherwise we shall fail to attain that which it is possible to achieve today. Only he who is certain not to destroy himself in the process should hear the call of politics; he must endure even though he finds the world too stupid or too petty for that which he would offer. In the face of that he must have the resolve to say ‘and yet,’—for only then does he hear the ‘call’ of politics.

–Max Weber, Politik als Beruf (1919)

[img=http://harpers.org/wp-content/uploads/max-weber-1917.jpg]Max Weber[/img]

Rosver

Well I’ve read about salt poured into the wounds to increase the pain in torturing in early times.

Gelcube

Lilith is growing on me…kinda like a fungus, but still.

Exadork…not so much.

Mikey

[quote=Rosver]Tom becoming evil?[/quote]

[quote=Mikey]Only he who is certain not to destroy himself in the process should hear the call of politics; he must endure even though he finds the world too stupid or too petty for that which he would offer.[/quote]

[quote=Rosver]I don’t get what that is about…[/quote]

Riffing on your idea of Tom turning evil, I presented a scenario through which this could be possible.

To expand on the Max Weber quote a bit, Tom now has his capital city up and running, and if I had to guess, is going to populate it next, with a motley crew of miscreants and the dregs of demon society. You know, the kind of people who are too preoccupied with building things to properly fight for power.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c5l498Vp3zA

The problem with meeting this many people to provide them with leadership is that you start seeing the weaknesses in human, and demon, nature. That’s what Max was talking about. It’s easy to draw apart from the people you wish to lead. To start considering people as means to an end, and worse, an end separate from those people.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPVxMB6w8PU

To retain your respect of the people after meeting them is heroic, that’s what Max is speaking of. Not all main characters in fantasy novels have that kind of heroism in them.

Rosver

Tom becoming evil? Hmmm… Might be interesting.

Mikey

Forces of Lite vs. Forces of Deliciousness?

Mr. Buttah, Hilda, Trisfelt and I will certainly be in one corner, but the other? The Church of Tiernon seemed a bit ascetic.

Nonetheless, when smoothing out the wrinkles in the relationship between your populace and yourself, an external enemy does come in handy. If a teenager can’t see this, certainly a bard can.

Tizzy

I could certainly join the Forces of Deliciousness.

It’s been getting rather lonely in the F.o.B. (Forces of Butter). We’ve been closely aligned with the F.o.C. (The Forces of Cholesterol) so that helps.

Our biggest opponent is the FoMTMO (Forces of Movie Theater Motor Oil—that nasty fake butter than so many movie theaters like to use to save money) Oddly, they are also aligned with the F.o.C. Go figure.

Fortunately, the third F.o.D. (Forces of Doom) have plenty of enemies with more showing up in Book 3.

Well technically I suppose it would be more correct to say that Doom showed up on their doorstep and not the other way around.

Mikey

[quote=Tizzy;3246]Well technically I suppose it would be more correct to say that Doom showed up on their doorstep and not the other way around.[/quote]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manichaeism#General

Some extra input data for good vs. evil.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 44 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.