Fantasy – Book Recommendations

Welcome To Astlan Forums Fantasy Fantasy – Book Recommendations

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 123 total)
  • Author
    Mikey

[quote=Gelcube;6830][size=7]On the Urban Fantasy front, I recommend [url=https://www.amazon.com/Black-Wolves-Boston-Wen-Spencer-ebook/dp/B01N4K3XSZ/ref=asap_bc?ie=UTF8]The Black Wolves of Boston[/url] by Wen Spencer. It’s amusing, action-packed, with enjoyable characters, and an interesting world. [/size][/quote]

Like brotha wolves?

Gelcube

[quote=Mikey;6832]
    Like brotha wolves?[/quote]

[size=6]LOL, no, like wolves that are black colored, as opposed to grey, white, or purple.
    [/size]

Tizzy

Do they have purple wolves in this series?

That might push me over the edge to reading it…

And on that front, are they naturally purple, or do they bleach their fur and then dye it purple?

If they can dye it purple, what about other colors? I’d like to see a tie dyed wolf! Wouldn’t that be cool?

Not sure how easy it is to tie a wolf up in knots and then dye it, seems like a good way to get bitten but…no risk, no reward!

Gelcube

No, there aren’t any purple wolves. That would be interesting. There is tie dye, but it’s a vampire’s hands when he tries to make shirts. Still, the book was quite entertaining. One thing had me literally laughing until I jiggled away from the desk (no falling out of chairs for me!). [-x

Tizzy

So is it humorous?

I like humor. As you are probably aware, I live in a set of worlds beset by high anxiety and paranoia. Everyone is always freaking out about other people’s machinations. It’s drama drama drama. About like living in a telanovela, but not as campy. Fewer catfights…ooh…I bet Bess could put up one heck of a cat fight against some one…hmm Jehenna?

Anyway, I find it useful to relax and read about some lower stress parts of the universe. Some place where people have a sense of humor and things are lighter and not so gravitas bound.

Gelcube

There is a good mix of humor and serious.

Ha! Catfight. I saw what you did there!

[size=6][size=6]Hmmm, humor you say?

Unconventional Heroes – L.G. Estrella – basically a fantasy version of the Addams Family
    Waldo Rabbit – Nelson Chereta
    Orconomics – J. Zachary Pike – D’Orconomics would be the Mt. Doom version.
    Dark Lord’s Handbook – Paul Dale – Of course Evil would provide a cheat sheet.[/size][/size]

Tizzy

Very odd, many of those books you mention also appear on Amazon next to DoA.

Do not get why. Those are light hearted fantasies full of joy and humor. Where DoA is all tragedy, conspiracy, paranoia and impending Armageddon. Very dark and gloomy. The book has only one empathetic character full of joy, compassion and a sense of humor. Now admittedly, that happens to be the protagonist. One of the few books out there with an eight-limbed chain smoking hero that everyone can relate to.

Had not heard of Unconventional Heroes, going to have to investigate.

Iume

Ditto on Dark Lord’s Handbook. It started out decent enough and then it just sort of went “meh.”

EyeDeKay

Hmm read the dark lords handbook awhile ago. Was unremarkable.

Gelcube

[size=6]Unremarkable. That’s the word! I was expecting a villain using [url=http://www.eviloverlord.com/lists/overlord.html]The Evil Overlord List[/url], and got some tepid tea water instead.[/size]

Gelcube

Oh, was that yours? SO sorry.

Just please avoid grabbing things from now on without asking. Emissary’s from the Realm of Blandness get grumpy and difficult to deal with when you don’t have Tepid Tea Water on hand at a moments notice.

Giwdul

I have read a number of the books that have been recommended here. I’m going to put some of the ones I haven’t read on my to-read list (which is about 250 books long right now) and see if I can get to them sometime before 2050.

Here are a few books that I have enjoyed:
    [url=https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004H4XAXO/ref=series_dp_rw_ca_1]The Way of Kings by Brandon Sanderson[/url]
    [url=https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FG26UEC/ref=series_rw_dp_sw]Words of Radiance by Brandon Sanderson[/url]
    [url=https://www.amazon.com/Nightlord-4-Book-Series/dp/B06Y288116/ref=sr_1_1_ha?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1491964993&sr=1-1&keywords=nightlord]Nightlord Series by Garon Whited[/url] (I liked books 2 and 3 better than 1. Haven’t read 4 yet)

Tizzy

You do realize that Sanderson is not actually a person? Right?

“He” is actually a very large inter-galactic civilization of monkeys with typewriters in an alternate universe.

Their civilization spans tens of billions of planets in several hundred galaxies, each planet having about 100 billion monkeys.

Each monkey is highly addicted to caffeine and sugar. They mainly drink full strength cold brew coffee and eat almost nothing but Sweet Tarts.

Their civilization is entirely dedicated to producing Science Fiction and Fantasy. All the best of which is published in other localverses.

The publishing process is rather dangerous, I was traveling near their localverse in the astral plane and nearly got ran over by a convoy of Mistborn spinoff series, I think there were like 37 spin off series with about 10 to 12 books each.

I sort of thought everyone knew this. I mean there is no way a human could write as many, often very long, books on so many subjects. It’s against the laws of time and space. Sort of odd that the BBC hasn’t asked the monkeys to write episodes of Dr. Who….

T-A-G has book one of the Nighlord on his kindle, he should probably get to it.

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 123 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.