Name for Book 3
Welcome To Astlan › Forums › Read It, Been There, Done That › Name for Book 3
- This topic has 8 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated 2 years, 12 months ago by The Author Guy.
2020-06-02 at 15:18 #12422020-06-02 at 15:21 #4347
So you’ve all read Book 2 now, at least beta 1 so you know where that is going.
Beta 2 added a few more possible options/clues but did not significantly change much (it just accelerated some things from later into Book 2)
There may be a beta 3, but unless we want a Christmas release…the story is going (supposedly) where you think it is.
And I say that because, as you noticed, the title The Heavenly Host was not/is not the obvious tell as to where the story was going. Clearly an army of angels and such would have made the series much shorter…so it was not a true indicator of what was going to happen.
And that’s OK, that was planned. The characters in the book obviously thought a Host was coming, and a Host was coming until Hilda upended things with her spying.
So the title for book 3, which will have a lot more armed conflict and general mayhem should point to what one would expect to happen in book 3. Although it might not.
So what are some of the things we see happening?
1) We have the D’Orcs reclaiming their birthright.
2) We have the Oorstemothians and the Rod getting in the Inferno and invading the Abyss, and probably torpedoing every demon that gets in their way.
3) If you have read Beta 2, [SPOILER]you know that Ruiden is likely to significantly alter the Talarius storyline, and maybe give us a rematch???[/SPOILER]
4) If you have read Beta 2, you know that [SPOILER]Exador has been exposed and plans to flatten Freehold[/SPOILER]
5) If you have read Beta 2, you know that [SPOILER]we have a big journey for Damien and Vaselle, and even bigger for some of the Orc Shamans.[/SPOILER]
6) If you have read Beta 2, you know that [SPOILER]Hilda has some ‘splaining to do'[/SPOILER]
7) If you have read Beta 2, you know that [SPOILER]The Djinn plan to hunt Exador down like a vermin, and that they now have access to the Abyss, thanks to Tamarin and Tom[/SPOILER]
8) If you have read Beta 2, you know that [SPOILER]Sammael has shown up, and he’s apparently trying to take a page from Hilda’s book and infiltrate Tom’s inner circle[/SPOILER]
9) Reggie is going to get a lot of action. And things are going to get interesting when his Accursed Mistress learns that he’s been partying with one of her gods.
10) And finally, if you have read Beta 2, you know that [SPOILER]The Council is likely to lose their property insurance, or at the least, have to pay much higher premiums[/SPOILER]
So, I am looking for some suggestions for the title for book 3 and then we will all vote on the choices:
Here are some I have thought of (in no particular order):
+ “D’Orcness Rising”
+ “The Rising D’Orcness”
+ “The Rise of the D’Orcs”
+ “The Return of the D’Orcs”
+ “D’Orc Destiny”
+ “D’Orc Tides” (although then I will have to put the D’Orcs on a ship…that might be amusing)
+ “The D’Orcness Before the Dawn”
+ “D’Orc Skies”
+ “The Inferno”
+ “Dante’s Inferno”
+ “All Abyss Breaks Loose” (this could be book 4 or 5 as well)
+ “The Insurance Man Cometh”
+ “The Battle for the Book”
+ “The Return of the Rod” –this could apply to either the Rod (of Tiernon) or the Rod of Tommus
+ “(and) The Temple of Doom” as in The Demons of Astlan and The Temple of Doom
+ “The Doompire Strikes Back”
+ “Doom Messiah”
+ “Children of Doom” (This would be the Rupert Fer-Rog story)
+ “Demon Emperor of Doom”
+ “Heretics of Doom”
+ “Chapterhouse: Doom” [i] (Seriously??–I am losing it–has anyone actually read this one? I mean the Dune one.)[/i]
Actually, [i]Heretics of Doom[/i] is a very interesting title on other levels…I just came up with it now as part of my Doom=Dune riff, but it is a cool book title. Not sure how applicable it is to the story, that title would probably shift the plot in an interesting direction.
As you can see, some are cheesier than others. So give me some suggestions!
T-A-G2020-06-02 at 15:21 #4348TizzyMember
Well you have one that is close T-A-G, but not topical enough:
Since the precedent for telling a story out of order has already been set by George Lucas, let’s make the next book be:
Demons of Astlan Volume VII: “The D’Orcs Awakens”2020-06-02 at 15:21 #4349Lenamare The GreatMember
Since the most interesting possibility for Book 3 will be me vs Exador, that will be the logical choice and since it will be Council Member vs Council Member, I suggest:
Demons of Astlan: Civil War2020-06-02 at 15:21 #4350TizzyMember
If you think that is going to be the plot then I will vote for:
Exador vs Lenamare: Dawn of D’Orcness2020-06-02 at 15:21 #4351KillblahMember
The Insurance Man Cometh, The Insurance Man Cometh.
You could have the cover art as an image of a shadowy obscure demon with a ton of paperwork, It would fit well with HH’s drunken saint cover art.2020-06-02 at 15:21 #4352
I like it!
It is also reminiscent of the famous table top RPG called “Papers and Paychecks” where one played a corporate drone exploring a bureaucratic maze to accomplish a useless goal and earn a paycheck.
It was the favorite game for our D&D characters to play between dungeons.2020-06-02 at 15:21 #4353KorwinMember
[quote=The Author Guy;2483][list=1][*]”D’Orcness Rising”[*]”The Rising D’Orcness”[*]”The Rise of the D’Orcs”
[*]”The Return of the D’Orcs”
[*]”D’Orc Tides” (although then I will have to put the D’Orcs on a ship…that might be amusing)
[*]”The D’Orcness Before the Dawn”
[*]”All Abyss Breaks Loose” (this could be book 4 or 5 as well)
[*]”The Insurance Man Cometh”
[*]”The Battle for the Book”
[*]”The Return of the Rod” –this could apply to either the Rod (of Tiernon) or the Rod of Tommus
[*]”(and) The Temple of Doom” as in The Demons of Astlan and The Temple of Doom
[*]”The Doompire Strikes Back”
[*]”Children of Doom” (This would be the Rupert Fer-Rog story)
[*]”Demon Emperor of Doom”
[*]”Heretics of Doom”
[*]”Chapterhouse: Doom”[/list][/quote][*]”Heir of Orcus” (Is Orcus copyrighted or whatever it’s called?)
[*]”Heir of Mount Doom”
[*]”Heir of Doom”
[*]”Heir of the Doompire”
[*]”Return of the Doompire”2020-06-02 at 15:21 #4354
Actually, Orcus is not copyrightable unlike Illithids (Mind Flayers–really annoying–I love them)
Orcus is an actual mythological lord of the underworld from multiple mythologies; principally Greco-Roman/Etruscan but also the word and form comes up in Anglo-Saxon mythology as well.
In the Etruscan/Greco-Roman histories he is sometimes conflated with Hades or Dis-pater. Sometimes equated with the “punishing side/aspect” of Hades/Pluto.
In ancient Greece he was also sometimes associated/described as the daemon Horkos, the personification of Oaths and a son of Eris (Goddess of Chaos, strife and discord)
In Anglo-Saxon mythology, the orcnae (from which Tolkien derived the word Orc) means demons, or demon. Many people feel there is a conflation between the orcnae (orcs, goblins, gremlins etc) and the latin Orcus, but Tolkien was not convinced.
In any event, Orcus is/was a “real” person (ahem) so I can use him! :d/
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.