What do Gods get out of providing a afterlife?

Welcome To Astlan Forums Into The Abyss What do Gods get out of providing a afterlife?

Viewing 11 posts - 31 through 41 (of 41 total)
  • Author
    Tizzy

Yes, the only option is to move to the Abyss, take a job as a Demon and work hard to give humans what they want: strife, uncertainty, war.

I.e. Happiness.

I have to say it’s been very fulfilling for me.

Rosver

People want war when at peace, and they want peace when at war. The twisted minds of humanity.

I feel blessed that my life isn’t in the either end of the exciting spectrum but I know it won’t last.

Maou

So what instincts do a Demon have?

They really don’t have any real needs so are they controlled entirely by human desire unconstrained from a human body that would constrain them with physical emotions and limitions, or does their demonic body have certain behaviors hard wired within it.

Tizzy

Yeah, well this is complex.

I will point you to Tom’s struggles with his demonic nature.

[b]Wrath:[/b] Fits of rage/anger/destruction,
    [b]Lust: [/b] We like sex. A lot. And violent sex at that.
    [b]Gluttony[/b]: We love consuming things, trying new experiences and always over doing it.
    [b]Greed: [/b] We love accumulating money and treasure, and for a couple reasons: 1 to feed our Glutton and 2, keep others from getting it.
    [b]Pride:[/b] We are all ego maniacs, at various levels. Of course the higher levels have more Pride/Ego where as the lower level demons have:
    [b]Envy:[/b] Demons are extremely jealous of their possessions, and we always want more (see Greed and Gluttony) and we get really wrathful when others have more than us, or have something we want.
    [b]Sloth:[/b] We are also fundamentally lazy. Most demons don’t feel too inclined to do much more than what we absolutely need to do to satisfy our other instincts.

Rosver

How… common… cliche… typical?

In my assessment:

Wrath: Well, demons seems to be trigger happy when it comes to violence. Tom is quite disapointed because of his rather violent behavior.

Lust: Tom seems to have a amazing control over his sexuality, though he does have no sense of modesty… like children, they love running naked you know.

Glottony: Well how can a demon be a glutton when they get hungry or even the desire to feed? They also don’t seem to consume much fluids or anything material. Demons seems to be free from this form of sin.

Greed: A common trait associated with dragons, hoarding gold and all. Tom seems to be immune to this, he is even damn broke and don’t seem to mind it much. Other demons also doesn’t seem to have much interest with treasures except when necessary.

Pride: Aside from Lenamare, other characters seems to have quite typical level of pride. Even Exador seems to be less inclined to this. Ramses might be quite showy and extravagant but he seems to be more of sticking to the traditions of Pharaohs than doing it out of ego.

Envy: Now this i didn’t see in any demons so far.

Sloth: With Exador’s dedication for getting the book, Ramses feat of nearly enslaving Astlan, and Toms rather dedicated protection of his newfound friends; demons seems to be very capable of diligence. Many demons though has hedonistic streak but innactivity seems not to be a problem.

From what I can see, Astlanian demons seems to be a creature of Wrath and Violence… as are Dragons creatures of greed and Satyrs creatures of Lust. So if their is a struggling that Tom has with his demonic nature it is with Wrath and not with the other six.

Tizzy

Well, as for common…they are the 7 Deadly Sins after all.

All of which are ascribed to Demons by Humans. I was just restating common knowledge.

Yes, we can agree that Tom is a pretty shitty demon. He’s getting a failing grade on that front.

Rupert’s even worse.

A note on Gluttony, it’s not just food it’s over indulgence. Demons in the Courts do this a lot. Witness Boggy after killing his accursed master, this level of indulgence is not usually limited to AM slayings…if demons have the cash, they tend to drink it.

Some demons are also drug addicts, but I don’t know any personally.

And we definitely overeat when we get the chance to eat our AM’s.

Envy is mainly the purview of the lesser demons and imps, they tend to be very envious of their betters. We just haven’t seen any.

Exador and Ramses definitely have Ego’s we just haven’t seen it yet, since we’ve only had snapshots of their personalities compared to Lenamare. As you will see Lillith and Asmodeus have some Ego going for them as well.

We will see more of that in Book II

Of course, does one have a big ego, if one really is nearly a divine being in terms of power and one’s ego is simply realistic of one’s abilities?

For example, Lenamare will tell you that people only think he has a big ego because they are too dimwitted to fully understand his phenomenal skill and knowledge.

Once you meet that new, annoying, untrustworthy, disreputable, lying, scheming Incubus in Book II you’ll see Demon Lust.

Korwin

[quote=Maou;682]So what instincts do a Demon have?

They really don’t have any real needs so are they controlled entirely by human desire unconstrained from a human body that would constrain them with physical emotions and limitions, or does their demonic body have certain behaviors hard wired within it.[/quote]

Going back to the question, I got the impression that Demons dont have built in instincts.
    Only aquired behaviour.
    The Lv. 1-3 are violent because of the almost constant torture they are under from their wizard masters.
    4+ are scheming because they are old and bored, etc.

Tizzy

Yeah, that’s basically true.

However, many semi-recent demons often report more feelings of anxiety, depression and sleeplessness combined with mercurial moods, violent rage, fury, bloodlust and general desire to smash things, than they’d had in their previous life. I.e. they often report feeling like a “worse person” and then stress that the job might be getting to them.

Now, how much of this is demonic influence/instinct and how much of it comes purely from “the job”/being enslaved and imprisoned for all eternity, etc etc.

Hard to say, I suppose. Maybe they just need better anti-depressants, Abilify anyone?

Rosver

Well, I hope it would be, you know that thing about sequels.

I’m kinda not interested in that character in Book II your talking about. That character seems 2 dimensional and overall unpleasant. Well, at least the others should compensate for that.

Still looking forward to it.

Maou

Which character are you referring to as 2-dimensional for book two?

Tizzy

Ditto. Who?

Although, I’m not sure I’d call them “characters”…many of them are my friends after all.

I can assure you they are multi-dimensional when you are standing next to them.

If they seem flat, it’s that loser of a writer I hired doing a crappy job.

Viewing 11 posts - 31 through 41 (of 41 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.