Science Fiction – Book Recommendations

Welcome To Astlan Forums Science Fiction Science Fiction – Book Recommendations

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 48 total)
  • Author
    Iume

I remember buying those bundles, but recently there seem to be a lot of reprints and authors that had prolific Baen publishing contracts are seem to have moved on or retired. I’m just not getting as hooked by these newer (to Baen) authors.

Iume

About a decade ago Baen offered CD bound in copies of their hardback books. You buy the hardback and the CD contains a collection of FREE, COMPLETE novels — often related to the author whose book you bought.

Also, Baen encouraged people to distribute the CD’s. Not the individual books mind you, but the entire CD or ISO was free to distribute.

I mention this because at several points David Weber released books and his hardbacks had the entire Honorverse collection to to that point.

You can still grab the ISO at http://ebooks.thefifthimperium.com/ with Baen’s permission. Just don’t redistribute individual books after you download the ISO.

Mikey

[quote=Iume;6569]About a decade ago Baen offered CD bound in copies of their hardback books. You buy the hardback and the CD contains a collection of FREE, COMPLETE novels — often related to the author whose book you bought.

Also, Baen encouraged people to distribute the CD’s. Not the individual books mind you, but the entire CD or ISO was free to distribute.

I mention this because at several points David Weber released books and his hardbacks had the entire Honorverse collection to to that point.

You can still grab the ISO at http://ebooks.thefifthimperium.com/ with Baen’s permission. Just don’t redistribute individual books after you download the ISO.[/quote]

Yes, someone (maybe it was you) mentioned this on my Amazon Forums and I looked it up, they were very cutting edge on the e-book front. Great deal! And actually now, a better deal since there are devices to read them (taken off the CD) much easier. Sure, I had my Cassiopeia E-125 around that time, but while nice enough, still not ideal for book reading.

I should also note that [url=http://www.baen.com/catalog/category/view/s/monthly-baen-bundles/id/1999]Baen now has these bundles of upcoming book[/url]s.

You can buy the bundles starting about 3 months before publication for $18 with about 6 books per bundle. The first month you get 1/2 of each book, second month you get 3/4 of each book and last month/release date you get full book (However, you have to buy in advance and can’t buy afterward)

Books are DRM free and can be used on any device.

They also sell/publish ARCs

Tizzy

You seem to hoover up books like a–a—gelatinous cube–hoovers up dungeon debris!

Gelcube

Ha! I am pretty voracious. Comes with the territory.

@Dirk > Sorry, I can only eat inorganic stuff. I could, however, use the gold to buy more books.

…I really have a problem. Is there a Reader’s Anonymous?

Gelcube

[quote=EyeDeKay;6671]Perilous waif by E William Brown, author of the Daniel black novels. [/quote]

That was an interesting one. It was a different take on the future, but I can definitely see how we could get there from where we are now. In fact, in a lot of ways, it made a lot MORE sense than many other sci-fi futures.

EyeDeKay

Perilous waif by E William Brown, author of the Daniel black novels.

Mikey

Galactic Dark Net web novel.

Galactic Dark Net

The only superhero-themed fiction I’ve come across that’s not complete dogshit.

EyeDeKay

[quote=Gelcube;6681][quote=EyeDeKay;6671]Perilous waif by E William Brown, author of the Daniel black novels. [/quote]

That was an interesting one. It was a different take on the future, but I can definitely see how we could get there from where we are now. In fact, in a lot of ways, it made a lot MORE sense than many other sci-fi futures.[/quote]

(Not much of a spoiler but ya know spoiler kinda)

I think my favorite part is Super intelligent rogue ai talking in math, planning what to do about humans, and considered making an Super Super intelligent ai.

GameGraphix

If you’re looking for a long SciFi series to read…try the Star Force series by Aer-ki Jyr

The series is made up of novellas – and bundled into 4 novellas per book – they are on KU.

There are 100 novellas in the first series (Origin Series), not sure how many in the second series……

The story can be a bit of a hard slog at times, and the first series spans about 1000 years, but it’s held my interest so far – currently up to novella 68 in the first series.

The first book of 4 novellas is [url=https://www.amazon.com/Star-Force-Origin-Box-Universe-ebook/dp/B01APTZM12/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1509264610&sr=8-2&keywords=star+force]Star Force: Origin Series Box Set (1-4) (Star Force Universe)[/url]

You know what they say, not all Trolls are Bridge/cave residing traveller/random passerby eating monsters, but a major percentage of the same previous mentioned are Trolls. To be fair though Trolls have gotten a bad rap, being blamed for a lot things that were caused by Ogres. Apparently people have difficulties telling the difference, and the fact that Trolls don’t very much like Humans or other similar Humanoids doesn’t help the situation. jötunn, troll, þurs, and risi are vaguely related, but also are distinctly different classes of beings, it doesn’t help that in Nordic groups, the Scandenavians, Swedish, Norwegian and Viking Tales tend to have much confusion and overlap in the use of Old Norse terms amongst eachother in regards to meaning. The texts on that Subject are Dense, and describe a plethora or Races and beings, and is not an easy subject to become learned in.

Tizzy

Ack!

I responded to your last post, but the response is now missing! Pretty sure the elves intercept the posting process!

To recap what I said that was taken down by the Evil Elves…

It is not the fault of the ogres and trollkin if they post signs that humans and elves don’t recognize as signs marking there territories.

Literacy rates are, unfortunately, a bit low with these folks, so they use alternative border marking systems that may not be obvious by arrogant elves and humans who don’t bother to look for the signs/warnings.

For example wargs and wolves all mark their territories with scent, how many humans or elves bother to smell for territorial boundaries?

As for too much credit? Well, the elves get a lot of help from their fawning acolyte races, humans and heartheans come to mind in particular.

Only ogres eat other intelligent races? What about pigs? or goats? (as food), dolphins and whales? all are exceptionally intelligent creatures and humans eat them. Some humans also eat dogs….Again, I go back to my fundamental point:

The only ethical form of eating is photosynthesis (oh and manasynthesis or whatever it is we demons do), all other forms of eating are murder! Murder most foul!

Grendel was a great guy! Until this Beowulf guy, who I note, looked suspiciously like Talarius’ new buddy in Nysegard (but that’s another spin-off story) sided with the dastardly Hrothgar, who built a mead hall on Grendel’s land (seeing a pattern of behavior here??) and then refused to invite Grendel and his mom for a drink!

True but that kind of Policy is moot when they don’t put up signs telling you where their lands start, For example that ‘Family friendly’ movie about that Ogre.

I think you’ve got a bit of an… unhealthy fixation on Elves tizzy, Yes they may indeed be Conniving bastards but assuming that they are responsible for everything is giving them a bit too much credit isn’t it?

Just don’t try and tell me that Ogres are all really misunderstood good guys, as they are 100% Sapientivores, and would eat any intelligent races they could get their hands on(They’re like humans in that respect, always wanting to ‘try’ new things), and that includes you tizzy.

They are almost as bad as Grendel-kin.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 48 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.