General spelling & spelling

Welcome To Astlan Forums Alpha Reading General spelling & spelling

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 48 total)
  • Author
    GameGraphix

[quote=EyeDeKay;4563]Good thing there’s no sentient Roos building large underground cities to eventually kill all the humans, right? Right?!?![/quote]

Actually, it would be the wombats doing the building – they excel at digging tunnels…..and don’t forget some type of fluid in the moats for the platypus to swim in…they can patrol for water incursions and kill anything with their poisonous spurs….

[quote=EyeDeKay;4585]Dang missed opportunity for kangaroo demons or D’roos. Hmm maybe they have one of the city that’s not the courts of chaos.

Interesting thought if the city of lilith is called “courts of chaos” what’s the Baron of chaos’ city called. Hir city can’t be “courts of chaos” also, because of copyright.

Oh yeah not sure if this was talked about or not, but random text throughout seems to be bolded. Not sure if it’s purposeful or not. Thought it was just in the “new” parts, but just not reading and scrolling through it is all over. Might just be pdf version.
    Edit: won’t let me read epubs on my kindle 🙁 y Amazon YYYY?[/quote]

Hmm, very odd on multiple formats. Not sure I used bold anywhere, will search on bold format.

Epub should work on kindle. Last time around people said the epub version looked better on kindle than the Calibre mobi version so I cut out the mobi version

There is a small possibility that I might be able to use the kindle/amazon converter, would require some testing. It would work if I were ready to prepublish, i.e. setup pre-order; might be able to do that without pre-ordering not sure.

Is that something people would find useful. Let’s talk about this vs other formats that might not be on a kindle but on PC/Mac and comment-able.

Iume

These crop up across chapters

alter vs altar (sooooo many of these)

employee vs employ

taught vs taut

discrete vs discreet

canon vs cannon

wonder vs wander

numerus vs numerous

prey vs pray

rod vs Rod

route vs rout

midgard vs Midgard

Here everything his hydroponics. –> is hydroponics

“Awww!” Tal Gor screamed as –> Awww! sounds like someone seeing a cute kitten. Argh! Owww! Garrgh! work better.

And how man alvar were judged sufficient –> how many

“He said he pursued and archdemon into the Abyss.” –> an archdemon
    Also, in bk2 there was a lot of shifting between archdemon and achaedemon or some such. I didn’t see that in this book.

[quote=Mikey;3887]Related observation: while on other hand it’s credible that they’d use Fahrenheit in hell, the forces of order would probably rather use Celsius.[/quote]

It’s Tom, being an American he thinks in Farenheit; now how it gets translated to him, I am not sure.

Celsius would make so much more sense. Given that the ambient temperature of the Abyss is around 96 to 98 degrees Celsius, it seems like a more usable scale.

[quote=GameGraphix;4572][quote=EyeDeKay;4563]Good thing there’s no sentient Roos building large underground cities to eventually kill all the humans, right? Right?!?![/quote]

Actually, it would be the wombats doing the building – they excel at digging tunnels…..and don’t forget some type of fluid in the moats for the platypus to swim in…they can patrol for water incursions and kill anything with their poisonous spurs….

[/quote]

I think this could make for a great novel! “Australia Goes Under” or something like that as the very tough marsupials rise up to push the invading humans from their land!

EyeDeKay

Dang missed opportunity for kangaroo demons or D’roos. Hmm maybe they have one of the city that’s not the courts of chaos.

Interesting thought if the city of lilith is called “courts of chaos” what’s the Baron of chaos’ city called. Hir city can’t be “courts of chaos” also, because of copyright.

Oh yeah not sure if this was talked about or not, but random text throughout seems to be bolded. Not sure if it’s purposeful or not. Thought it was just in the “new” parts, but just not reading and scrolling through it is all over. Might just be pdf version.
    Edit: won’t let me read epubs on my kindle 🙁 y Amazon YYYY?

I could see that happening. Must have killed a lot of early settlers off.

Think the rest of the world got proof of how tough the fauna of Australia really is when Steve Irwin, with all of his experience got taken out.

I had heard that Koala’s were not that cuddly.

One interesting thing that you mentioned about the Roos was the disembowling. Cats, large and small, do the exact same thing. Cuddly little kitty with a tennis ball is channeling a large wild cat disemboweling their prey.

So when we see those pictures of Roos running around a neighborhood, what do people do? Call animal control or just go inside and stay inside until they’re gone? Or does that happen less frequently than the Internet suggests?

If I trusted the Internet, I would think that cats were the dominant species on earth, or at least the principle users of the Internet.

[quote=GameGraphix;4576]Quick question – do Denubian Demons have genders???? or at least as we know it??

[b]In Chapter 139 (Alpha 2)
    Section: Courts of Chaos: Late Fourth Period[/b]

[color=blue]Asmodeus grimaced. “Odd sort of thing, rather explains the [b]man’s[/b] squeamishness in turning her over but Melissance is Hesseforthalus’ wife.”[/color]

Just wondering if Asmodeus would actually refer to the Denubian Hesseforthalus as a man?

[/quote]

Well, I think it’s a very different case than the Baron of Chaos. Hesseforthalus has been working for Asmodeus for a long time so I assume they have come to an understanding on gender.

The Denubians can have whatever body parts they want, when they want, as many as they want, they are hermaphroditic but they do take on gender roles within relationships.

So my thought is that Hesseforthalus is currently identifying as male because he is “married” to Melissance who is female.

[quote=Mikey;3888]Counter parts are something a kitchen builder would express an interest in, while orcs might be searching for their counterparts.
    [/quote]

If Tom still lived in his cave, he might need counter parts if he wanted a kitchedn.

[quote=Mikey;3888]
    “No he hates Exador more than Lenamare.” -> “No, he hates Exador more than Lenamare does.”

reign in / rein in

seamed to / seemed to

caret / carat

palette / palate

[/quote]
    Fixed

Iume
    GameGraphix

Here’s a list of spelling / grammar or general issues / queries…

There are several occurrences of the word “drug” to indicates someone dragged away – not sure if this an issue to do with Aussie vs American language, but it always jars when I when I see the word in this context

[b]Preface: Dates, Time and Previously[/b]
    Recent milestones – “[color=blue]…the Archdeom Bess arrived…[/color]” – by the end of book 2 it was established that Bess was a goddess.

[b]Chapter 116 – Mount Doom[/b]
    [color=blue]That was the NEVER spoken name of Lilith. Well, not name, insult name.[/color] – these are awkward sentences

[color=blue]Lesteroth nodded, Talgorf chuckled neverviously.[/color] – who is Talgorf, don’t remember him being mentioned before or after this..

[b]Chapter 117[/b]

Murgatroy: Several hours earlier, DOA + 1, Shortly after lunch.

[color=blue]I got in contact with after the battle with Talarius and he….[/color] – seems to be a missing name Tom here

[color=blue]”The keep talking about going across some…..”[/color] – should be “They keep talking

Murgatroy
    [color=blue]”You promised to be right out to the site.”[/color] – which site is Jen talking about

[b]Chapter 120[/b]
    Mount Doom: DOA + 2, Early Fourth Period

[color=blue]”Had she never been to the Planes of Orc?”[/color] – by the end of book 2 Tom is calling the lands Midgard instead of either the Planes of Orcs or the Planes of Men.

[b]Chapter 122[/b]
    Mount Doom
    [color=blue]Tom shook his watching Talarius twist and contort in his armor….[/color] – should this be “Tom shook his head, watching Talairus…

[b]Chapter 123[/b]
    Murgatroy
    [color=blue]”…Lord Edwyrd does employee Rune Magic…”[/color] – should be employ

[b]Chapter 124[/b]
    The Inferno: DOA + 4, Late Second Period
    [color=blue]”Well, are we not fortunate not to have to deal with that.”[/color] – awkward sentence

Mount Doom
    [color=blue]Which was pretty good Tom in Tom’s opinion[/color] – should be “Which was pretty good in Tom’s opinion

[b]Chapter 125[/b]
    The Abyss
    [color=blue]…a giant Typhoon class submarine from one the Earths.[/color] – should be “from one of the Earths”

[b]Chapter 126[/b]
    Tierhallon: DOA +5, Late Fourth Period
    [color=blue]”…and Abomination?”[/color] – should be “…an Abomination?”

[b]Chapter 129[/b]
    DoomSpa
    [color=blue]…a shopping expedition to the Planes of Meat[/color] – did you mean to say “Meat” or “Men” – I could see some demons referring to the humans as “Meat”

Fort Murgatroid: Mid Third Period
    [color=blue]”As you are, I am sure aware, this is a very…”[/color] – awkward sentence

[b]Chapter 131[/b]
    Rod camp outside of Freehold: Mid First Period
    [color=blue]”You are inside our inside our Holy Silence…”[/color] – should be “You are inside our Holy Silence.”

[b]Chapter 132[/b]

Fort Murgatroid: Mid-Sixth Period
    [color=blue]He had expected them to focus on his efforts to focus on[/color] – repetitive use of “focus on” in these sentence

The Abyss, The Outpost: Late 6th Period
    [color=blue]bulky metal container with a triggered straw on its top… [/color]- I not sure what a triggered straw is????

[b]Chapter 133[/b]
    Citadel of Light: Late Sixth Period
    [color=blue]Grob shook his again and glanced….[/color] – shook his what?

[b]Chapter 134[/b]
    Mount Doom: Late Second Period
    [color=blue]Here everything his hydroponics[/color] – should be “is hydroponics”

[b]Chapter 135[/b]
    The Inferno: Mid Fourth Period
    [color=blue]Gaius commented someone sarcastically[/color] – should be “somewhat sarcastically”

[b]Chapter 136[/b]
    Astlan, Orcan Plains, 20 Leagues Southwest of Jötunnhenj: Early Fifth Period
    [color=blue]But simply to him, unless he wanted to be a martyr[/color]… – awkward sentence

[color=blue]…but if Lord Tommus could that portal to suck… [/color]- missing some words

Nysegard, Krallnomton Henge: Moments Later
    [color=blue]”He is somewhere else, with one the shamans[/color] – should be “with one of the shamans”

from chapter 136 you refer to the A.I where previous when the idea of the beta interface was introduced in the story it was call AII (Artificial Intelligence Interface)

[b]Chapter 137[/b]
    DoomSpa: Minutes Later
    [color=blue]I know one guy, who chose to flee the hinterlands after the cold spell, he was captured in one of our raids and she tortured him for a solid two decades…[/color] – what cold spell is this referring to?? If is the one at the end of book 2 then the demon could not have been tortured for 20 years….

Library of Doom: DOA + 13, Early First Period
    [color=blue]It was like had really grokked…[/color] – should be “It was like he had really grokked”, although I have absolutely no idea what “grokked” means….can only guess from the context

[b]Chapter 138[/b]

Isle of Doom, Krallnomton: Early Third Period

[color=blue]His first thoughts were if concern[/color] – should be “thoughts were of concern”

The Inferno
    [color=blue]”He said he pursued and archdemon..[/color] – should be “He said he pursued an archdemon

[b]Chapter 140[/b]

Citadel of Light: DOA + 15, Shortly after Dawn
    [color=blue]”It is a myth, some of the most powerful vampires can take on winged bat…”[/color] – this sentence seems to contradict itself, on one hand say that vampires changing into bats is a myth and then saying that power vampires can do it

Mikey

Related observation: while on other hand it’s credible that they’d use Fahrenheit in hell, the forces of order would probably rather use Celsius.

Mikey

Counter parts are something a kitchen builder would express an interest in, while orcs might be searching for their counterparts.

“No he hates Exador more than Lenamare.” -> “No, he hates Exador more than Lenamare does.”

reign in / rein in

seamed to / seemed to

caret / carat

palette / palate

Super list! Thanks! Will work my way through and comment/thank as they are dealt with!

Iume

[quote=GameGraphix;3889]
    Library of Doom: DOA + 13, Early First Period
    [color=blue]It was like had really grokked…[/color] – should be “It was like he had really grokked”, although I have absolutely no idea what “grokked” means….can only guess from the context
    [/quote]

If you want to grok this you need to read Heinlein’s “Stranger in a Strange Land” (origin of grok).

Additional errors:
    Tardis -> TARDIS

ASAP.: -> Remove : at the end. (Chapter 133)

Edit: This is either a conversion problem for the epub format or it exists in the main file but sometimes the text is full justified instead of left justified.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 48 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.