Cover Preview

Welcome To Astlan Forums General Questions Cover Preview

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    Ben

Wow looking great. I usually buy kindle but I like this series so much I might just buy the three print versions x

Yeah, I may end up going with silver or other colors or simply pure white without the decoration.

Particularly on the back. I’ll do a couple variants over the next couple weeks. Wording is very much subject to change.

Lhans

[quote]After 4,000 years of waiting, Prophecy has been fulfilled! The Dark Lord Tommus, heir to the Throne of Orcus, has relit Mount Doom in the Abyss! It is time for the Orcs to reclaim their rightful place upon the Planes of Orc!

As the Orcs rejoice and race to rebuild the connections between their worlds and the Abyss and the Alvar gird for war, Tom discovers his new home comes with some unexpected guests ; guests who may provide him leverage in his conflict with the god Tiernon. [/quote]

Hm. Add “as” …the Alvar gird for war. I think that semicolon usage is wrong. Use a dash “-” perhaps and add “with” … leverage in his conflict …

[quote]Hilda and crew work to establish a new base of operations upon the plains of Murgatroy to launch a rescue mission for Talarius.

Exador needs the assistance of the Storm Lords to destroy Lenamare and the Council of Wizardry and seize The Book once and for all; in return they want his help to recreate the lost works of the Dark Apostle.[/quote]

Semicolon again, maybe just use two sentences instead I think. Perhaps “In return, he must first recreate the lost works of the Dark Apostle.”

[quote]Lilith, meanwhile is preoccupied by a Baron of Chaos who wants to know where [u]is[/u] Maelstrom went.[/quote]

Switch Lilith and meanwhile. Get rid of “is”

Proposed revision:

[quote]After 4,000 years of waiting, Prophecy has been fulfilled! The Dark Lord Tommus, heir to the Throne of Orcus, has relit Mount Doom in the Abyss! It is time for the Orcs to reclaim their rightful place upon the Planes of Orc!

As the Orcs rejoice and race to rebuild the connections between their worlds and the Abyss and as the Alvar gird for war, Tom discovers his new home comes with some unexpected guests – guests who may provide him with leverage in his conflict with the god Tiernon.

Hilda and crew work to establish a new base of operations upon the plains of Murgatroy to launch a rescue mission for Talarius.

Exador needs the assistance of the Storm Lords to destroy Lenamare and the Council of Wizardry and seize The Book once and for all. In return, he must first recreate the lost works of the Dark Apostle.

Meanwhile, Lilith is preoccupied by a Baron of Chaos who wants to know where Maelstrom went.[/quote]

Lhans

Maybe change the blurb a bit more. Was too repetitive.

Proposed revision:

Aboard the airship, Dante’s Inferno, the Oorstemoth and the Rod invades the Abyss in search of Talarius while Hilda and her host works to establish a new base upon the plains of Murgatroy to launch a rescue mission of their own.

or

While the Oorstemoth and the Rod searches the Abyss for Talarius aboard Dante’s Inferno, Hilda and her host works to establish a new base upon the plains of Murgatroy to launch a rescue mission of their own.

or

Insert something entirely different here

Meh, can’t make up my mind.

AoD Cover

Hi

So my artist, [url=http://jubjubjedi.deviantart.com/]jubjubjedi [/url] has completed the cover for AoD.

This time around it’s a full wrap around cover for the book. The big reason for this is Facebook posts/ads which have an immutably stupid landscape ratio that makes it impossible to get a portrait cover displayed correctly without sidebars.

[albumimg]24[/albumimg]

Now, it’s not a literal scene from the book since there are characters in there that are never together in this book.

Tal Gore is in front, then we have Fer Rog and Rupert various other orcs and in the lower right is Zog Darthelm (the sith like D’Orc)

It’s a bit dark, but hopefully underscores why the Alvar are freaking out.

T-A-G

Here is a sample as it would look as a flattened book cover.

[albumimg]25[/albumimg]

Possible blurb

[quote]After 4,000 years of waiting, Prophecy has been fulfilled! The Dark Lord Tommus, heir to the Throne of Orcus, has relit Mount Doom in the Abyss! It is time for the
    Orcs to reclaim their rightful place upon the Planes of Orc!

As the Orcs rejoice and race to rebuild the connections between their worlds and the Abyss and the Alvar gird for war, Tom discovers his new home comes with some unexpected guests; guests who may provide him leverage in his conflict with the god Tiernon.

Hilda and crew work to establish a new base of operations upon the plains of Murgatroy to launch a rescue mission for Talarius.

Exador needs the assistance of the Storm Lords to destroy Lenamare and the Council of Wizardry and seize The Book once and for all; in return they want his help to recreate the lost works of the Dark Apostle.

Lilith, meanwhile is preoccupied by a Baron of Chaos who wants to know where is Maelstrom went.[/quote]

Iume

The text blends into the background quite a bit. For example, the A of Apostles has it’s left leg seemingly vanish because of color and location.

[quote=Iume;4189]

Edit: Why is the sun casting blue light?[/quote]

It’s not, this is actually supposed to be evening/night, the light should mostly be from the volcano which is why it’s orange.

Click on, blow up, the second posted image, that’s the full book laid out flat.

The red lines aren’t really there, they just show you front and back cover demarcations.

Also there are lava flows below them that are glowing that’s where the front lighting is coming from.

Iume

Ah, but the rays of light as seen on the back cover are coming from what looks like a 45 degree angle overhead. So, mid-afternoon is what I assumed.

I can also play with shadows behind the text, so I have letter shaped blackness, I can do that from any angle. That can alleviate this issue. Will post some different variations along the way.

GameGraphix

Agree with the gold color for the text….but the problem is the orange / red colors behind the text..

You could try putting a solid black square between the image and text and set the transparency to something like 30%…..you’ll still be able to see the image but it will darken the area where the text is…..you could also do a gradient to 0% opacity at the edges so it appears to fade to the the image

Iume

The gold is working better than the silver for the back cover for the blue sky. It looks like the gold has a black outline / shadow that is helping it to stand out compared to the silver. Of course, the spots where it is gold on orange sky is also hard to read.

Edit: Why is the sun casting blue light?

So this one, if you click on it to enlarge it shows you what holding the actual physical book would look like.

I show a version of “white” and the “gold” to get an idea, both are edged rather than flat “white” Flat white might be better….not sure though.

[albumimg]26[/albumimg]

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.