Astlan’s / D&D

Welcome To Astlan Forums LitRPG Astlan’s / D&D

Viewing 13 posts - 31 through 43 (of 43 total)
  • Author

You know Tizzy would never allow ANY wizard or group of wizards to buy anything he’s associated with?

Pretty sure all the other demons would object as well.

Even Lenamare and the CoW might object, since WotC is clearly a rival group of wizards.

Lunarmage

[quote=The Author Guy;8055]It’s actually above.

In terms of his crazy mana. The base version of a spell costs the square of the level of the spell and then there are modifiers to the cost based on extending the range, area of affect and damage.

E.g. by default a 3rd level Lightning bolt always does 3D6 damage up to some range for 9 mana points However, higher level characters can increase the range or the number of dice of damage by expending more mana.

High level Fireballs could get very expensive in that you have range, area of affect and damage to expand by spending mana (caster’s choice which, if not all, and how much, they want to do). So for example: a 30th level Wizard doesn’t have to do 30D6 worth of damage when the basic 3D6 is sufficient.

Which was the case in ADD 1.0, but limited in later versions. Here, it’s up to the caster and how much mana they want to spend. Maybe they want to completely vaporize the Giant Rat and give everyone else in the vicinity a new hair do, due to static electricity.[/quote]

This is I think what most games now are missing. The flexibility of higher level characters to mitigate their own damage output. Yet another reason I would love to see this game hit the market, and to not be bought out by WotC.

It’s actually above.

It was formatted in an ancient word processing program, because it was in the manual, so I pasted a pure text version a couple posts back.

It’s an Animus character so that stats are different than D&D, etc.

As an FYI, stats start at D&D levels and can just keep going up, there isn’t the sort of exponential curve that happens in D&D once you get past 18, where suddenly you can’t compare the strength of Hercules to the strength of Atlas because the scale 19->25 is too small.

Combat is all D100, and there are modifiers for attacker AF, defender DF and magic weapons, and spells.

In terms of his crazy mana. The base version of a spell costs the square of the level of the spell and then there are modifiers to the cost based on extending the range, area of affect and damage.

E.g. by default a 3rd level Lightning bolt always does 3D6 damage up to some range for 9 mana points However, higher level characters can increase the range or the number of dice of damage by expending more mana.

High level Fireballs could get very expensive in that you have range, area of affect and damage to expand by spending mana (caster’s choice which, if not all, and how much, they want to do). So for example: a 30th level Wizard doesn’t have to do 30D6 worth of damage when the basic 3D6 is sufficient.

Which was the case in ADD 1.0, but limited in later versions. Here, it’s up to the caster and how much mana they want to spend. Maybe they want to completely vaporize the Giant Rat and give everyone else in the vicinity a new hair do, due to static electricity.

Korwin

[quote=The Author Guy;8047]EEK: Just found Tom’s character sheet! He was never actually played as a character, we never got anyone high enough level to not be squashed by him.[/quote]Please post his sheet.
    [love]

[quote=Lunarmage;8051]Author Guy, now you are just teasing us. [/quote]

That would be Tizzy teasing….

However, this really exists.

Somewhere, I have Lenamare as well. Just not sure where. I think it’s on paper rather than computer, in which case it’s buried in a closet.

The Tom character was done for an example of extreme demon creation/possibilities, there are several smaller demons I’ve done as well.

Lenamare would have been done as practice in how to create a high level wizard, and I’d have done it for myself as a beta test exercise for the game.

It was very tedious to figure out all of his skills and spells etc.

Lunarmage

Author Guy, now you are just teasing us.

Gelcube

Tom has laser eyes? Did I miss that in the books!?

I was actually thinking about that at the gym yesterday.

Divine Ascension was always an “iffy” thing in D&D, starting with “Gods, Demigods and Heroes” which basically sent Monty (sic) Haul players into over drive.

Of course, no player of mine, ever accused me of running Monty Haul dungeons, far from it. However, I enjoyed dragging my own favorite characters into dungeons operated by such DM’s, and even got one Divine Ascensed. And, let’s just say it got crazy.

So that is definitely problematic for any game.

However, one expansion module I thought of for a new release would be The Abyssal Adventures Handbook.

In this version, players can create newly enslaved demon characters, enslaved to an NPC wizard (the GM of course) who would send the newbie demon on quests and tasks. Now, obviously where the cheating comes in is the die roll that determines what level you show up at.

I am thinking, no one comes in higher than a Fiend, and most likely you start as a Sprite or Imp, or maybe a Shadow for very skilled players.

Even so, an imp or sprite would be higher level than a normal 1st level character, and a fiend would start even higher. Actually, I have the levels written down somewhere. It’s in the “Monster Manual” section. Have to dig that up.

OMG: I just found my random demon creation tables! I forgot I even have those, these would be perfect for creating the appearance of a demon character. There are die roll tables for shape, color, horns, wings, skin, mouth/teeth, ears, nose everything.

Then there is the demonic offspring table. I do remember that one.

EEK: Just found Tom’s character sheet! He was never actually played as a character, we never got anyone high enough level to not be squashed by him.

Korwin

I could see it working (for me) if the math is done between sessions, but subtracting 3 Digit numbers from one another in battle is not an good first impression [huh] [wink].

I do like in dept character generation in general.

Btw. there is parrying in D&D [lol] , but it’s in an late book for the 3.5 Edition.
    And it’s only once per round and takes your Swift Action for the next round.

There is an parry function, backed in the core game in DSA (Das Schwarze Auge) / The Dark Eye.
    Combat takes (real time) ages in this game, because of that.
    You have an attack number and an parry number which can be up to 5 Points appart.
    To hit you need to roll under your attack number, then the opponent must roll under his parry number (with an d20).

You definitely have to do some adding and subtracting during the game.

I think one other piece to mention, is that the game basically requires you to use miniatures or something for place markers in close combat.

This is because “where you are” relative to who you are attacking matters.

For example, if you are planning to do a ranged attack (archer, wizard, etc) and your target is surrounded by your fellow adventurers, or even other enemies, you have to be careful or you could hit them instead.

And did I mention that lightning bolts are “hot” and that shooting a say, 2 foot wide bolt of lightning between the heads of your two best friends, who are beside each other in the 10 foot wide tunnel, and are between you and the target and are chopping at your target with swords, can leave burn marks on their ears?

Actually, this last one is solely GM’s discretion, there is no official rule for it, but that is something you can easily see with the miniatures.

On the other hand, you certainly can accidentally overshoot or undershoot your target and hit someone else. That is in the rules.

Also, that thief needs to get behind the target, secretly, and we need to see that with miniatures, before he can backstab someone with a dagger.

You know, I don’t actually remember, I am sure I did him, but probably like Lenamare as a regular character on paper, so I don’t have it on computer.

I will need to go back through my paper stuff to look.

He is very high level, most likely the highest level in Astlan, higher than the other Knights Rampant, but he also has Ruidan and some seriously “god-awe-full” armor, and he had the help of all those priests draining Tom and suppressing him.

And Tom, while high level, was inexperienced. This is actually something you see a LOT in D&D when you see people start a character at high level, or are just given one. They are never as effective with a character of that power as a player that has played the character from level 1 to XX, the player who has lived through all the XP, has figured out (presumably) how to truly exploit their character’s strengths and minimize their weaknesses.

I believe he is in the low 30’s.

So, in that sense, of Tom being inexperienced but high level…that is probably the closet the books come to LitRPG in reality because that was the paradigm I had in mind with Tom. A student driver in a Formula 1 race car.

Viewing 13 posts - 31 through 43 (of 43 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.