Astlan’s / D&D

Welcome To Astlan Forums LitRPG Astlan’s / D&D

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 43 total)
  • Author
    Lunarmage

Slightly off topic, where can we find this game ‘Animus’?

[biggrin] If you find any extra hours in the day to work on the D &D modules that would be great I would buy them. It not like you have a life and 3 soon to be released books[biggrin] , to fill up your day , sleep is overrated. Just ask tizzy

Tizzy would not care if you didn’t play.

He would only want to ensure that you bought every rulebook, expansion, module, playset, licensed figures, etc that were issued.

:d/

Freaky spells a wise wizard will never cast:

[quote]
    Name: Mana Wheel

Spell Code: W25IT-DS-R0-A25000

Material: A specially constructed mana wheel, several mana pools.

Description: This spell requires the construction of a very special wheel. The wheel is constructed of the finest materials, and, in fact, should be considered a magic item which requires a 25th level spell to use. The mana wheel, in general, would cost about 100,000 crowns to construct and involve the use of a variety of spells. The exact secret of construction is currently unknown. A mana wheel has a receptacle at its center into which up to 50 mana pool gems may be placed at any one time. The mana wheel, itself, costs 625 mana points which must be given by the caster to start it spinning. Further, for each round of operation, the caster must expend 25 mana points to maintain control and keep from having his or her own mana affected.

What a mana wheel does is simply suck all the mana out of the region in which it operates. All mana-using spell users (other than caster) have their mana stripped, with no AR, (they may regain it normally if they go elsewhere), and all magic items in the area must make a destruct AR each round they are in the area, or have the mana stripped out of them (and thus be permanently demagicked). Higher-order beings such as class IV or higher demons or deities must make a WIL AR or have their mana stripped from them.

All mana from normal creatures (including non-spell-using people) is absorbed. The very mana from the air and ground is stripped by the mana wheel. The mana wheel does not do this automatically, rather, the rate at which mana is absorbed is 500 mana points per round. It absorbs the closest mana first. Of this mana, 250 points each round goes into feeding the spin of the mana wheel, and the rest goes into the mana pools at its center. If the mana pools become filled, the caster may replace them with more (if he or she has more). Excess mana will simply be bled off to some alternate universe. The caster may attempt to stop the wheel up until the point at which he or she runs out of mana. The chance of success is equal to the caster’s level plus his or her WIL and KNO. However, for each round that the mana wheel spins, it gains momentum. Thus, for each round it has spun, the caster must subtract 5% from his or her chance of success.

If the caster should run out of mana before the mana wheel can be stopped, the caster loses control and all of his or her possessions will be stripped of mana. Further, if control is lost, there is a 1% chance per round that the wheel has spun minus the WIL of the caster that the caster may be permanently stripped of his or her mana. The mana wheel will spin to a stop on its own once all the available mana in the area is gone (including the caster’s, so the caster should stop it on his or her own).

Areas drained of mana will be magic-poor for 3d4 months while mana comes back. This means that spell users will be unable to regain mana in the region for at least half this time, and for the last half, only at one half the normal rate. Further, all magical spells will be at -15% to cast in this region. Incidentally, any and all mana pools charged by the wheel may be used normally by the caster or whoever has them.

[/quote]

For highly experienced Necromancers:

[quote]
    Name: Undead Army

Spell Code: W15IN-D1h-R1000-AMx

Material: A battlefield where lots of people have died.

Description: This spell allows the caster to raise the dead bodies of fallen soldiers on an old battlefield (may even be several centuries). The caster may raise an army of skeletons and zombies (zombies only if the battlefield is less than 1 year old) to march at his or her banner. The number raised is equal to the square of the level of the wizard casting the spell. The skeletons and zombies are able to understand simple battle commands and will obey the caster. The base cost of the spell is 225 points plus a cost of 1 mana point per animated corpse. UPGRADE(xx/xx/1 h:1 mana pt/corpse)

[/quote]

Wizard, 15th level, Indirect, Necromancy, Duration 1 hour, Range 10000 ft, Area: basically the area around the caster within range, e.g. 1000 ft radius.

The only problem with playing a D’Orc is that you would probably need to be a D’Orc, or other immortal in order to live long enough to create the character!

Even for the moment, ignoring magical spells, assume the character is not a shaman.

It is a skill based system with skill points. Do you have any idea how long it would take to calculate 10,000 years of skill points?

Lenamare’s character sheet took me a couple days to do, figuring out his skills and spells that he knew. (Lenamare existed before the game so I was describing him)

A D’Orc would be at least a 25th level barbarian (which is it’s own class, sort of a cross between a fighter and a ranger), and then you have the thousands of years of D’Orc experience???

And btw: I will need to write a D’Orc class, and an Avatar class.

I realize now, at this moment, even though I actually have spells for immortalization/divine ascension etc. I have no idea what that does in game terms to the character. It’s a whole new set of character classes. Eeeesh.

Lunarmage

I suspect that people who like your books sir, are ones willing to put in the time and effort to play a more complicated game. And really? Who WOULDN’T want to play a D’Orc?

Which is why, basically the development and testing dropped off. Too much other stuff to do. Not enough others around anymore, although with time in the day, that is fixable, you can always find more, it’s just a question of making the time etc.

We used to collect lots of RPG’s read them, but almost never played them. I sort of think that’s why so many people drop back to D&D when they have time, even if there are better systems out there, they take too much work to learn/remember and play. D&D has a LOT of issues, particularly the later versions where they imposed arbitrary constraints to try to block power hungry players exploiting the rules to make god like characters, but it’s simple and easy to remember.

Systems that don’t have those arbitrary limitations to fix loopholes in the relatively simple rules, get far more complex to deal with, and for most, take away some of the fun.

And of course, a big part was the rise of computer games and MMPRPGs etc.

Gelcube

WWLD. That is both creepy, scary, and hilarious. Also, I can’t count.

It would be nice to have Animus, but to be honest, it would just be a curiosity. I have no time to play, nor a group to play with, so it’d just be me giving you more money. Not a bad thing, mind you.

Yes, as I mentioned before, it is quite complicated to play, or at least to learn. That’s why we call it “The Game you’ve been training your whole life for.”

Once you know what you are doing it’s not that hard. But there is a lot of “book keeping” that you want to do with your character to be prepared for various moves you like to make so you know you’ve got your numbers together.

We tried to embed huge flexibility, but with codified rules. As opposed to the GM-X-Machina sort of thing that Story Teller and some others relied upon for huge flexibility.

A D20 system won’t work as there are too many modifiers, up and down, this allows for a wide variety of things to influence combat.

Modifiers for things like your position relative to the target, your Desterity/Agility bonuses, your Skill Level with the weapon, the magical bonus of your weapon, magical bonus of spells, magical bonuses of other magic items. Right hand vs left hand? That’s your AF

Then you have your targets DF, and that has bonuses for Dex/Agil, surprise, does he/she see it coming?, magical armor, magical devices, skill with shield, etc.

Then, is the target parrying your attack? That’s something that never happens in D&D.

The 100 scale really allows us to have more varying levels of influence.

The combat was most influenced by Steve Jackson games, of which there were several with the same core rules. But yes, we had played and knew Role Master quite well. We really loved Arduin, which spun off and away from Original D&D. Space Opera, Traveler, all the old TSR games, Paranoia etc. We’d read pretty much all of them at the time even if we didn’t play the more esoteric ones. Including the StoryTeller which is still quite popular (Vampire: The Masquerade, etc)

We’d also done Tunnels and Trolls.

T&T was actually sort of fun. It was basically “who has the most D6?” It was quite easy. It was something like: Each side had so many D6 to roll based on the weapon/character and both sides rolled and you took the difference, and the person with the lower total got the difference as damage.

Korwin

[quote=The Author Guy;8059]In Original D&D, Basic D&D and ADD 1/2 and I thought 3, have a maximum ability score of 18 for most normal characters/beings, and a minimum of 3.[/Quote]This got changed in the third Edition (and a cap might have been brought back in the 5th Edition, not shure. Not playing that version)
    [Quote][url=https://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Pit_Fiend][b]Example: Pit Fiend:[/b][/url]
    Abilities:
    Str 37, Dex 27, Con 27, Int 26, Wis 26, Cha 26 [/Quote][quote]
    Melee Attack Procedure

1) Roll % dice (1-100).
    [snip]
    9) Any remaining damage is inflicted on the character, which must be subtracted from the character’s remaining DT.
    [/quote][quote]
    Critical Results Tables

[snip][/quote][Quote]Our slogan was:

[b]Animus, the RPG you’ve been training your whole life for![/b][/quote]Hmm, I get an Rolemaster vibe from this…?
    It reads complicated to play?

That said, the only reason I see for an d100 are the crit rules, right? A d20 would have an higher base crit chance (5%).

In D&D 3.X (there where the 3.0 and the 3.5 Edition, which where functional the same), you add
    your base attack Bonus (BAB) + your Strenght Bonus + equipment and feat boni +/- size boni/mali + 1d20 dice and compare it to the targed number (AC: Armor Class) of the target.
    If you hit the AC of the opponent you have hit.

There are some additional rules for critical hit’s, miss chance for invisible opponents, etc.

Tizzy

Sure, he can do that, but at this point, wouldn’t it be a little “me too” (and not the Weinstein kind)

In what I call the Warnerverse corner of the multiverse, on Earth-ZS (Zach Snyder) Superman uses laser eyes quite a bit, and in the planes of the Arrowverse, Supergirl and Superman both do laser eyes a lot.

And then those supes from the Vought Corporation, good grief! Homelander uses his laser eyes for pretty much everything! I’m betting he slices cheese as often as he slices humans who get in his way.

And heck, how can Tom compete with this from the Voughtverse?

[YOUTUBE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BkkErVR5xaM[/YOUTUBE]

[quote=Gelcube;8050]Tom has laser eyes? Did I miss that in the books!?[/quote]

Heh heh, I know!

No, he’s never used them, I am very sure I completely forgot about them.

Given the timing, I am guessing this game example was written around the same time, or shortly before Heron of Triage lifted off the ground with his airships from Oorstemoth.

I am guessing I had it planned or something. This was all a VERY long time ago.

In Original D&D, Basic D&D and ADD 1/2 and I thought 3, have a maximum ability score of 18 for most normal characters/beings, and a minimum of 3.

However, when talking about immortals (and demons) that scale is raised to a 25 max in ADD v1 (Actually, I think it was also 25 in Gods, Demigods & Heroes the 4th digest of the Original D&D, but I’d have to look, it’s only minorly buried)

This means that things start to get rather skewed for high abilities as there really isn’t much range, presumably if you can lift a boulder the size of a small mountain, you can also lift an entire planet….point being it wasn’t very exact. (Hercules tosses giant boulders and Atlas lifts a planet on his back).

Caveat, I haven’t actually played using 3. I hated 2 so much, I stuck with 1.

Here is a quick excerpt on the Melee Attack Procedure (this is just one small part of combat, a single action–how actions line up is another section and depends on the COORD of the involved parties (COORD is average DEX & AGIL)

[quote]
    Melee Attack Procedure

1) Roll % dice (1-100).

a) If a result of 98-00 (modified by certain skills) occurs, roll the damage for your weapon and go to the weapon’s critical table. Roll % dice again for the result of the critical.

b) If a result of 01-03 occurs, to directly to the fumble table and roll % dice again for the result.

2) If there is no critical and no fumble, add the attacker’s AF to the roll. Also add any SLB the attacker is applying to the attack.

3) Subtract the defender’s DF from the roll. Also subtract any SLB the defender is using for his or her defense.

4) If the target of the attack is using an action to parry, subtract the defender’s AF (and, naturally, SLB) from the roll. Using a staff or nunchaku to parry subtracts another 20%. The target will naturally use all of his or her SLB for defense.

5) Look up the result on the Attack Result Table. If a clean miss occurs, you are done. Otherwise, continue.

6) The attacker rolls the damage inflicted by his or her weapon.

7) If a shield-side hit resulted and the character hit has a shield, he or she subtracts the shield’s AP from the damage inflicted.

8) If the shield does not stop all the damage, or if the character has no shield, then the character hit subtracts the AP his or her armor stops.

9) Any remaining damage is inflicted on the character, which must be subtracted from the character’s remaining DT.

Attack Results Table

Roll Result
    195-199 Attack does +20 DT, bypasses 6 AP
    190-194 +19 DT, bypasses 6 AP
    185-189 +18 DT, bypasses 6 AP
    180-184 +17 DT, bypasses 6 AP
    175-179 +16 DT, bypasses 6 AP
    170-174 +15 DT, bypasses 6 AP
    165-169 +14 DT, bypasses 6 AP
    160-164 +13 DT, bypasses 6 AP
    155-159 +12 DT, bypasses 6 AP
    150-154 +11 DT, bypasses 6 AP
    145-149 +10 DT, bypasses 6 AP
    140-144 +9 DT, bypasses 6 AP
    135-139 +8 DT, bypasses 6 AP
    130-134 +7 DT, bypasses 6 AP
    125-129 +6 DT, bypasses 6 AP
    120-124 +5 DT, bypasses 6 AP
    115-119 +4 DT, bypasses 6 AP
    110-114 +3 DT, bypasses 6 AP
    105-109 +2 DT, bypasses 6 AP
    100-104 +1 DT, bypasses 6 AP
    95-99 Attack bypasses 6 AP, shield ineffective
    90-94 Attack bypasses 5 AP, shield ineffective
    85-89 Attack bypasses 4 AP, shield ineffective
    80-84 Attack bypasses 3 AP, shield ineffective
    75-79 Attack bypasses 2 AP, shield ineffective
    70-74 Attack bypasses 1 AP, shield ineffective
    60-69 Weapon-side hit, shield ineffective
    40-59 Shield-side hit, shield stops rated AP
    -39 Clean miss

[/quote]

As stated there are then Critical Hit and Critical fumble tables that depend on the weapon type. Crush, Slice, Impale, Chop and of course FUMBLE!

And depending on what you are doing there are other tables, say for martial arts: Disarm, Grappling, Pins, Locks, Throws, Chokes.

There also Call Shots (e.g. I am calling a shot to the head) which are much more difficult depending on the body part, but which have more specific results….

Here is an example of the Crush Critical Hit.

[quote]
    Critical Results Tables

Modifications: -3 per AP of armor protection

Crush Critical

Roll Critical Result
    96+ Skull smashed: + 4d10 DT damage
    86-95 Ribcage crushed: +3d10 DT damage
    71-85 Hip shattered: +2d10 DT damage, -10 MV
    56-70 Knee destroyed: +d12 DT damage, -6 MV
    41-55 Face shot, nose broken: +d8 DT damage
    21-40 Shoulder bruise: +d6 DT damage, -20 AF for 2 rounds
    up to 20 Elbow stung: +d4 DT damage, -20 AF for 2 rounds

[/quote]

I should note

DT are Hit Points
    AP are Armor Points (the amount of damage your armor, or hide, or magic dohicky subtracts)
    MV is Movement (speed)
    AF is Attack Factor
    DF is Defense Factor
    SLB is Skill Level Bonus

As a rule, for your normal weapons/attacks, you will have all of the numbers crunched before combat starts, so it’s a total add and subtract sort of thing based on the the opponents.

As I’ve noted, it’s a rather complex game.

Our slogan was:

[b]Animus, the RPG you’ve been training your whole life for![/b]

Korwin

[quote=The Author Guy;8055]It’s actually above.[/Quote]I think I missed the second page, yesterday [rolleyes]
    [quote=The Author Guy;8055]It’s an Animus character so that stats are different than D&D, etc.

As an FYI, stats start at D&D levels and can just keep going up, there isn’t the sort of exponential curve that happens in D&D once you get past 18, where suddenly you can’t compare the strength of Hercules to the strength of Atlas because the scale 19->25 is too small.[/Quote]Not shure I get, what you are talking about here. Are you talking about AD&D?
    Only started with D&D 3.0.
    My currently played Gnome Shadowcraft Mage has an Str. of 48 when he Shapechanges into an Pit Fiend (with Equipment).[quote=The Author Guy;8055]Combat is all D100, and there are modifiers for attacker AF, defender DF and magic weapons, and spells. [/Quote] Roll over, roll under or what?

Thanks for the sheet, I will take it as Basis for converting Lord Tommus.
    Now what to do, with his Rod… [cool]

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 43 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.