Alpha 2 Released

Welcome To Astlan Forums Alpha Reading Alpha 2 Released

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    Ben

I was surprised and a little disappointed that only a tiny bit of chapter 141 had been added to the end. From what I’d read on the forum it sounded like you’d made more progress on last part of the book x

The Grove add ins are really setup for next book, plus…if I can wrangle it in the last part of Talarius growth.

Book 2 was 272,000 words, book 1 around 250,000. I figure I have 40K to 50K words for Nysegard and another 20K for other stuff that beta readers need adding.

I am thinking that about 280K is the most I can possibly squeeze into a trade paperback. So goal is 250K to 280K

Last time, I ended up shoving a fair amount into Book 3; in particular the demon swearing in/aftermath of fight. If need be I’ll do it again.

Talarius needs, by the end, to be “mostly” on Tom’s side in my mind. At least with no more reservations than Gastrope’ and Damien who are not 100% on board.

I will certainly accept arguments to the contrary. But the argument being is that one way or the other, he is an Apostle of Doom.

Hi,

I have released [url=http://www.astlan.net/TheBooks/TheApostlesofDoomBetaBook.aspx]alpha 2[/url]

So we have the big pile of spelling mistakes, and various issues that were missed in Alpha2.

Reworking of stuff as discussed in the Alpha 1 topics and a fair amount of new content moving stuff forward to the end.

T-A-G

Iume

I dunno, I don’t think Talarius will forsake Tiernon, but he will likely have a change of heart and be somewhat allied to to Tommus. Of course everyone else will think he has turned except on Nysegard.

What I can say is that by the end of the book….all bets are off the deck shall shuffle

Currently I am, at this moment at 219,619 words. Just over 19,000 words since Alpha 2.

I am moving forward quickly enough that I am leery of my hard limits. I am sort of pushing to the end.

However, there are lots of very important things happening at this point. I do not necessarily want to get too far ahead without input as I setup a lot of critical stuff.

I am hoping to be able to add another six or seven thousand pages by Friday afternoon.

Would people prefer to have an Alpha 3 then or wait until Sunday night where I will have had two weekend days and maybe add another six or seven thousand words for a total of 30-35K since Alpha 2. I am writing both days on weekend, it’s just at what point to I pause to alpha publish?

Ben

Have you decided to go for two week releases then? Also the BIG QUESTION – when will we get the 1st beta i.e. to the end of the book?

P.s Loving the idea of Talarius going over to Toms side but I can’t quite see how it’s going to happen. I know he’s started learning about the origins of demons etc and doutbing but seems like you’re realling going to need something to absolutely make up his mind. Maybe Ruiden asking Volund about demon making as per mention.

Any way happy writing x

GameGraphix

[quote=Iume;4740]I dunno, I don’t think Talarius will forsake Tiernon, but he will likely have a change of heart and be somewhat allied to to Tommus. Of course everyone else will think he has turned except on Nysegard.[/quote]

There is always the option for Talarius to become Tiernon liason to Tom – to open up communication – I doubt any other representative of Tiernon’s would have as good a chance of being believed – or living long with the D’Orcs

So Sunday it shall be.

It should be up around 8 pm CDT, 1 am UTC, which would technically be Monday morning for some.

Iume

Sunday

BTW, the siege is officially beginning tonight.

It is dawn, everyone is inside the citadel, the Storm Lords are holding up for the day about a league from the Citadel in every direction, one last check of the region around the citadel (the city/villages) to make sure that nothing has been missed. during the day, but then the draw bridges are going up

GameGraphix

Release the Krakons of War!

[lol]

Or maybe I should say….Release the D’Wargs of War! [flapper] [flapper]

D’Wargs of War!

=d>

That sounds even better than War D’Wargs.

D’Warg warfare or D’Wargfare

“You’re D’Wargfood Lich!”

Actually, not sure if D’Wargs really want to eat liches, aside from being freezing cold, they are like moldy and gross.

OK, suddenly realized why there were not any D’Wargs on Nysegard. If you are a D’Warg and you like to bite your enemy, do you really want to munch on zombies and similar types of seriously expired moldy meats?

Ick.

Skeletons on the other hand? Fetch!

Winter

i dunno, my dog always loved moldy meat.

fresh bone, pfft, no thanks!

bury that thing for 6 mnths to let it tenderize then enjoy.

Mikey

Now that my fancy new no-battery smoke detector decided to demonstrate the concept of a false positive to me at 5 AM, I’m totally ready for a new alpha.

Of course, I can just spend my weekend learning Angular 2 and TypeScript, if it’s not ready yet.

That budget is nice to have. Things change so fast that keeping up with the newest takes a lot of time. Many companies don’t want to allot for the time, let alone the expense of keeping people up to date.

I was playing with TypeScript earlier this summer, rather liked it. Haven’t actually done anything billable with it though.

Yeah, I am looking at migrating more mysql stuff I have to postgresql. It seems like it has a clearer path. MySQL under Oracle could be a riskier bet in scaling up for new enterprise features, since it eats market share from Oracle. I like postgresql replication options much better than mysql. I really hadn’t looked at in years until earlier this year when I needed better replication options. I’ve been impressed at where it’s gone since I’d last used it.

I’ve generally focused more on the MS side and SQL Server, but their licensing is just getting too ridiculous for a lot of my clients. I have several that need Enterprise level features, but don’t have the budget for SQL 2016 Enterprise prices. So people are fleeing that ship and postgresql gets them a bit closer cheaper.

I’m actually fortunate that my largest current client, and most budget constrained on this front, uses nhibernate for their core processing and that uses spring.data which means the sql server is simply a flat objectstore without massive code to convert.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.