Alpha 2 Released

Welcome To Astlan Forums Alpha Reading Alpha 2 Released

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    GameGraphix

You can count another vote here for a diff document

Iume

Looking at the pacing and it seems that given the length of Alpha 2 vs Alpha 0 you seem to have reached the 90% complete marker, so half of the missing text from Alpha 0 has been added?

I’m asking because while the numbers seem to be that pacing on Nysegard vs. Alpha 0 has taken a tangent to the Grove. I’m not saying that it is out of place, but given all that needs to happen I’m wondering if there is still quite a bit to go or whether is being rushed given the length of the text and the limits on an eventually print version.

tl;dr: how much is left to add?

I have it in my “mental writing” it was more a question of giving people something to chew on.

The question is: Is it 1 week or 2 week release cycles?

I am amenable to either.

See discussion about Alpha 1 and next release.

The thing to understand is that I have to write it in my head, work out some details before I write it in Word. Then rewrite it after input.

I am still on a roll. Hope to make good progress this week, it’s just what to release when? This was my hesitation about Alpha 2.

I, unfortunately/fortunately keep getting bogged down by shorter term “pay outs” so to speak.

Things I can do to generate money now, vs money later. I have release dates for the book that I want to hit, but if the opportunity to earn cash now happens I feel obligated (by my stomach) to do them first. I.e. what pays soonest gets done soonest. I am a consultant, work by the hour, when people are anxious to pay me money for stuff sooner, I feel like grabbing the money while I can, even if long term, I have a bigger payout coming.

My goal, after several years and a couple different story arcs/series is to be less dependent on short term payouts, but it’s still a goal.

Skaar

Sunday’s good for me, I’ll be off from slaving away for my cursed masters

Mikey

[quote=The Author Guy;4742]I am hoping to be able to add another six or seven thousand pages by Friday afternoon. [/quote]

I’ll hold you to that!

I’m hoping the alpha’s have a better plot than coding books. Majority vote was for Sunday night release (overnight your time)

I have never been able to read documentation on languages, or much of anything. I read it in reference mode, on an as need to know basis, but I don’t have patience for textbooks and manuals.

I think the only textbooks I really read were biology (because there was no other way I was getting through all that memorization) psychology books (because I actually enjoyed them) . Math and Physics book I read enough to figure out how to do the problems. History…I’d read it, but then forget it, so I kept repeating the class. :d/

But, because I was a bibliophile, I bought crap loads of textbooks, both physics and programming. In grad school, we measured “prowess” as how many books you had. In part because we used them as reference manuals for solving assigned problems. OK, I did actually have to read large chunks of graduate physics books but did not enjoy them.

I continued to buy programming books, but again mainly as starting points/references. Then they finally got decent online help and have bought any in 15 years.

Although, now that I think about it, in HS, I did enjoy hour upon hour perusing the CRC Handbook of Chemistry and Physics

Mikey

Nah, I loaded up the new IntelliJ WebStorm EAP (thank goodness for IntelliJ’s “app products” licenses) and went to town with https://angular.io/docs/ts/latest/tutorial/

Over the last decade, I’ve kind of settled down with a couple of statically typed languages, but since the component-based model failed, JavaScript, Node.JS and all that BS has become kind of mandatory, if you want to be able to architect good solutions for your clients.

Now, ES5 is just hateful, but since Babel.JS started supporting what’s now called ES2015, things have been looking up. Angular 1 was just terrible, but React.JS solved a large piece of the puzzle, conceptually. Now Angular 2 is primarily supporting TypeScript, which resembles modern JavaScript (ES2015 with Facebook Flow extensions, providing type and null checking) quite a bit.

That’s where we are today. There are two majority market-share web-native component models, React.JS and Angular 2, with Babel.JS/ES2015, Flow and TypeScript holding up the code maintainability end of things.

On the backend, there’s the JVM with 80% of the enterprise market, .NET with 10% and the rest with 10%. There’s a large amount of legacy, but the new stuff is mostly Spring or Spring Boot, or other solutions which don’t require a JEE application server, or its license, anymore.

Of the JVM languages, Java 8 is the norm, Scala had its day (but its lack of clothing got apparent as organizations tried it out), so Clojure is the new golden child. IntelliJ’s Kotlin is up and coming, and has a lot of the professionals looking at it positively. Java 9 is years away, and not going to bring anything too business-critical to the table. They just took too long, like Perl 6.

On the .NET side of things, since TFS and VS 15 comes out in 2017, it’s safe to assume that the community will learn how to .NET Core and ASP.NET Core during the first half of the year, and will solve the current cross-platform compatibility issues, so that ASP.NET solutions can be run in production on Linux. That’s when things like IntelliJ’s Rider tooling will really come into play.

On the database side, PostgreSQL has made great strides and will likely continue to do so, while Oracle’s MySQL work is a bit of a question mark, and MariaDB funding will have to be solved. I don’t see big surprises coming in 2017 from the big data toolset people, maybe more out-of-the-box machine learning integrations.

Intel’s 3D XPoint technology is coming out into production, and when it’s been integrated to the PC platform more closely, database vendors have to decide how to react to it. It has the potential to really boost performance, and simplify event logging architecture.

I think I’ll probably concentrate my studies on the frontend side of things in 2017, as well as encourage the same for my colleagues. Of course, the frontend people I’ll try to get involved with some Spring Boot and Kotlin. Luckily, I just got a budget of ten grand to pay people for self-study through open-source development.

Not liking the default MS thing, it’s useful right when you create the diff document, has lots of revision comparison stuff, but then opening it on another computer it’s really not that useful.

It’s just the tracked changes.

Going to see if there are some third party/preferably open source options.

October 3rd 2016

[quote=Mikey;4561]Jerry. You’re RUINING the genre for me. Now that I know what “good writing” really means, I can’t but expect it from every book I purchase from Amazon.[/quote]

Thank you!

I love flattery! Not as much as Tizzy, but still a lot. o:)

Really need to see about getting more smileys…I wonder why there is that whole blank space for example.

Mikey posted a diff script for the epub in another topic.

I take that as two votes. Let me see what I can come up with that is usable.

Iume

A diff document would be nice.

[quote=Korwin;4559]Which page / chapter starts new stuff?[/quote]

Well we go back in time there are new insertions in a couple places and some rearraging.

I would probably reread 139 and then all of 140 and 141.

There about 11,000 new words between Alpha 1 and Alpha 2. Which is about 28 mass market paperback pages.

Do people think a Diff Document might be useful?

I track changes and can also do a document compare of one version vs the next

Mikey

Jerry. You’re RUINING the genre for me. Now that I know what “good writing” really means, I can’t but expect it from every book I purchase from Amazon.

Korwin

Which page / chapter starts new stuff?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.