Alpha 1 – 131

Welcome To Astlan Forums Alpha Reading Alpha 1 – 131

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author

Well the Five Siblings and the El’adasir are aware of one “sort of” prophet of Orcus, Tiss-Arog-Dale

Now, whether they truly though of him as a prophet is debatable, the El’adasir were concerned enough to issue a contrary prophecy to prep their people.

And of course, like most humans, they would probably dismiss an orc prophet as sort of ‘illegitimate” It’s part of their culture’s institutional racism. Humans and their gods, tend to look down upon most of the other races, other than elves and the Aetós, Orcs are barely civilized in most humans eyes.

Ben

[quote=The Author Guy;4362]I am going to add a poll for this one.

According to the font of all knowledge: Google

em·is·sar·y
    ˈeməˌserē/Submit
    noun
    noun: emissary; plural noun: emissaries
    a person sent on a special mission, usually as a diplomatic representative.
    synonyms: envoy, ambassador, delegate, attaché, consul, plenipotentiary; More
    Origin

early 17th century: from Latin emissarius ‘scout, spy,’ from emittere ‘send out’ (see emit).

so technically is someone on a “mission” an “emission” of some other authority. So the use is technically correct.

The problem is, our connotation of it is diplomatic as they say above.

So the question is, do we think the orcs/D’Orcs would have the same connotation? They are sensitive to all things diplomatic.

I’ve settled on interlocutor for what the Grove does to handle things like the armistice between the alvar and orcs. [/quote]

Herald? Priest?

I am going to add a poll for this one.

According to the font of all knowledge: Google

em·is·sar·y
    ˈeməˌserē/Submit
    noun
    noun: emissary; plural noun: emissaries
    a person sent on a special mission, usually as a diplomatic representative.
    synonyms: envoy, ambassador, delegate, attaché, consul, plenipotentiary; More
    Origin

early 17th century: from Latin emissarius ‘scout, spy,’ from emittere ‘send out’ (see emit).

so technically is someone on a “mission” an “emission” of some other authority. So the use is technically correct.

The problem is, our connotation of it is diplomatic as they say above.

So the question is, do we think the orcs/D’Orcs would have the same connotation? They are sensitive to all things diplomatic.

I’ve settled on interlocutor for what the Grove does to handle things like the armistice between the alvar and orcs.

Winter
    Winter

“Tal Gor, Emissary of Lord Tommus of Mount Doom”

is this the right term to be used with an orc?

casually looking up emissary in a dictionary it has variable definitions but some are pretty diplomatic
    such as “a person sent as a diplomatic representative on a special mission.”, is that the sort of language that an orc would feel comfortable with?

GameGraphix

You could use the term “harbinger”

Definitions:

[quote]harbinger
    noun
    1. a person or thing that announces or indicates the approach of something; forerunner
    2. (Historical Terms) obsolete a person sent in advance of a royal party or army to obtain lodgings for them
    vb
    (tr) to announce the approach or arrival of[/quote]

Tal Gor, Harbinger of Lord Tommus of Mount Doom

Excellent point! I was thinking of it more in terms of meaning “messenger” Orcs do technically allow for emissaries from those seeking to parlay/surrender. They will negotiate, it’s more the “culture of diplomacy” they despise.

But there could definitely be something better.

Time to go to thesaurus.com 🙂

I was trying not to use Apostle (yet)

You do recall how upset the D’Orcs got when Tom tried to compare Doomalogues and embassies.

Giwdul

Harbinger of Doom.
    Definitely has a nice ring to it. I also like Apostle but you are trying not to use that (yet).

Iume

I vote Harbinger. It’s not quite Apostle but it indicates someone with authority to wreak havoc and set terms.

Harbinger was one of the options for the title of this book.

We had a poll at the end of HH Beta as to what to name the book.

Harbingers of Doom or Harbinger of Doom was in the running. Eventually went with Apostles of Doom.

I do love that word. Not something you typically use when introducing someone…

“Hi Sam, meet Susie the Harbinger of Samsung, she wants to give you a phone/toaster.”

or

“Sally, this is Brent, the Harbinger of the iTunes Store, he has a 30 page document for you to agree to.”

Skaar

I don’t know Herald sounds like a title you give to one of your most badass minions. And priest doesn’t seem to fit. He should just stick to calling himself a Shaman

Doh!

That was what he was calling himself before.

Sheesh….I guess that was just a bit too obvious! My brain must be fried!

OK,

In fixing this one, I do a search on emissary and find it used again by orcs in Orcopolis:

“On this great adventure to begin the Restoration of Glory, I have committed the resources of the Deathfinger clan, to be spearheaded by my son and heir Aggfred and his shield-mate Snoggard, who along with a band of Deathfingers, shall accompany Lord Tommus’ designated emissary to Ithgar, Beya Fei Geist, to the Doom of Ithgar!” Orcag proclaimed to loud cheers.

In this case it makes more sense to use emissary as in messenger.

And shaman does not work so well because there will eventually be more than one shaman. Plus it just doesn’t sound right.

representative?

Thoughts?

Winter

Hi, I’m Tal Gor …

Bearer
    Bringer
    Harbinger
    Legate
    Consul
    Champion
    Emissary
    Prior
    Envoy
    Hand
    Attache
    Adjunct
    Cohort
    Forerunner
    Signifier
    Tribune
    Messenger
    Herald

… of Doom upon Astlan

Skaar

You could also call them the voice. Example (I am Tal Gor the voice of Tommus) and for a group of people they could be called the voices of Tommus. Or the voices of Doom.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.