2 quick question for TAG

Welcome To Astlan Forums Alpha Reading 2 quick question for TAG

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Author

From earlier (got lost after I had to roll the VM back to undo a broken SQL installation)
    —————-

Well, to be fair, they say that because that’s who does it normally. A god an their agents.

You need someone who can

a) issue/divulge the prophecy to a “prophet” so they need to have a prophet, typically only gods have prophets
    b) then be around for centuries and manipulate events behind the scene to make the prophecy come true. Again, typically a god and their agents.

So it’s really a matter of scale/expectation etc.

If one were particularly industrious and long lived, and had a prophet, one could carry out a prophecy without being a god.

So this means that

1) Tizzy would need to have a “known” prophet that could deliver this information to people and have them believe it.
    2) Tizzy would need to spend the next 3900 years or so trying to make the prophecy come true and deliver an heir to Orcus.

So the question comes, is it plausible that Tizzy would be capable of arranging all of this? That he would know where the wand was, and could manipulate events sufficiently to bring it all to fruition?

Puck

We werent told ‘why’ a god is necessary to manage a prophecy. I didn’t really get much about a dark apostle in the book. I need to take another sweep but was it more subtle than I think of a few nudges to thinking about the concept? I recall wondering if it would be tal’gor or something, kinda hoping talarius would fit the bill but that would be in relation to tom. I didn’t pick up on any particular other faction apostle in alpha

Puck

Just a little expansion to a few questions. orcus created Mount Doom to be able to level the playing field against the gods is what was written. Im assuming this to mean tis his version of a god pool. Why was he so interactive with other pantheons seconds and so forth. He was hailed as a god? While its looking a little more like he was just a very powerful demon, he had, responsibilities? Tartarus being one of them. Why was he out and about dallying, granted he was super powerful, but what happened couldnt have been something he didnt anticipate?

I suppose Im just asking if thats something were going to find out and if theirs some forshadowing in there somewhere, if i missed i thats fine Ill reread it a few times before betas done. But its a thought!

well we know that Tizzy is AT LEAST 73,000 years old. There are people (D’Orcs) who have basically known him that long.

He could be much older. Same with Orcus.

We will most likely get to these answers at some point. I’m just not willing to commit to an answer “yet” Particularly with Orcus, I may need to do more backstory for him that I don’t “know” yet.

I do have a pretty good idea how old Tizzy is though.

Ben

[quote=The Author Guy;4319]From earlier (got lost after I had to roll the VM back to undo a broken SQL installation)
    —————-

Well, to be fair, they say that because that’s who does it normally. A god an their agents.

You need someone who can

a) issue/divulge the prophecy to a “prophet” so they need to have a prophet, typically only gods have prophets
    b) then be around for centuries and manipulate events behind the scene to make the prophecy come true. Again, typically a god and their agents.

So it’s really a matter of scale/expectation etc.

If one were particularly industrious and long lived, and had a prophet, one could carry out a prophecy without being a god.

So this means that

1) Tizzy would need to have a “known” prophet that could deliver this information to people and have them believe it.
    2) Tizzy would need to spend the next 3900 years or so trying to make the prophecy come true and deliver an heir to Orcus.

So the question comes, is it plausible that Tizzy would be capable of arranging all of this? That he would know where the wand was, and could manipulate events sufficiently to bring it all to fruition?[/quote]

Well the prophecy did come from Tizz’arog’dal which could well have been Tizzy himself. It was his idea to go to the crystal caves. He almost certainly supplied the demon weed which resulted in Tom being demonized. Also he clearly knew what was going on Tom claimed the Rod/Wand as he was doing a happy dance coz he so excited. Which is to mention nothing of the fact that at the end of book 2 he said I wrote it down in my book. As it is written it shall come to pass. He confirmed the prophecy came from him. And if he is a mere second-order demon why is it that the ‘Great Lenamare’ can’t open the book??? Hmmn? Lol

Ben

[quote=The Author Guy;4326]Someone was wondering why Tizzy doesn’t like Reggie. Your theory would answer that.

Maybe it’s because he’s afraid that Reggie will recognize him as the guy in the dark, dark alley in Manhattan that sold him the joints? Reggie might out him as the drug dealer?

Assuming of course, that he is responsible for the demon weed that Tom smoked.

[/quote]

Well Reggie did say be bought it off a guy with a big ass pipe.

Also one thing I felt when reading the alpha was that you kind of dropped the bomb shell with Tizzy in the last book and nothing really came of it. I also kind of find it hard understand why Tommus isn’t suspicious of Tizzy.

1 He was when he heard about Tizz’arog’dal
    2. Tizzy is the only known supplier of Demon Weed
    3. Tizzy sent to them to Mount Doom and did a little happy dance when he claimed the wand/rod.
    4. Tizzy was best buds with Orcus who now Tom is ‘replacing’
    5. Tizzy, a ‘Fiend’, is also involved with something as huge as Tartarus.

How has he not called Tizzy on it???

Also I found Tom’s actions inconsistent with his worries about Orcus’ memories. When he visited the gods for dinner Phaestus said one of them was a god of reincarnation and would be really interested and yet nothing comes of it. He could speak to Tizzy who was best buds with Orcus. Once he thinks it might be the neural interface he doesn’t even bother to talk to Phaestus about it or consider turning it off. He actions just don’t match his worried state of mimd which then dissolves tension for the reader. I kind of stopped caring about his worries a bit because he was taking any of the obvious (and easy) solutions to sort it out. It just seems if you’re going to have him that stressed he would realistically do some of the things I mentioned. Sorry to critisize as I love this series x

Yes, the Tizzy thing was a bomb shell to the readers, but for Tizzy and the senior D’Orcs it’s not that big a deal. He used to run around with a book/journal and now he’s not. It’s been 4000 years, maybe he just got tired of journallng everything, if that is what he was doing.

The D’Orcs really do not, or may be do not know what the book is either. They are not that interested in books, to them it was just one of his quirks.

Tizzy is really not that concerned about it because he knows the secret to opening it, and he’s pretty sure no one’s going to figure that secret out. And yes, the book that Lenamare has is Tizzy’s book. So Tizzy knows it is safe. In fact it is probably in the safest place it can be at the moment, now that it’s been “found” if it had never been found, it would have obviously been safer.

Tom’s got conflicting emotions that probably aren’t obvious, given what you say.

He feels he is “bluffing” these people, in regards to the Lord Tommus stuff. He doesn’t want to show weakness to “other players” in the game. Nor to people that support him. This was probably more obvious in earlier books, but he’s still doing that. So stuff happens, he tries to swing with it and pretend that was part of the plan.

So I think that is probably something I need to have him worry about more.

Tom does think something is up with Tizzy. He noted the Tiz-Arog-Dal and now the demon weed thing. But you gotta also remember that there is a lot of Tizzy insanity that we don’t see. Remember when they were all at Tom’s cave and Tizzy was having hours and hours of conversations with himself? (In many cases he was posting here in the forums)

The point being Tizzy in real life has a much much strong presence than in the books even. Meaning he really does seem to be crazy. So it’s just hard for people to believe he could be the master mind of some plot.

Now from the book thing, we know that the D’Orcs know that he is more important etc than he appears, but remember even they have a love-hate relationship with him. They are often very frustrated by him as we saw when they first show up at Mount Doom.

So anyway, Tom is suspicious of all of that. But it’s really just hard to convince onesself that Tizzy could be some sort of master mind.

Ben

[quote=The Author Guy;4330]Yes, the Tizzy thing was a bomb shell to the readers, but for Tizzy and the senior D’Orcs it’s not that big a deal. He used to run around with a book/journal and now he’s not. It’s been 4000 years, maybe he just got tired of journallng everything, if that is what he was doing.

The D’Orcs really do not, or may be do not know what the book is either. They are not that interested in books, to them it was just one of his quirks.

Tizzy is really not that concerned about it because he knows the secret to opening it, and he’s pretty sure no one’s going to figure that secret out. And yes, the book that Lenamare has is Tizzy’s book. So Tizzy knows it is safe. In fact it is probably in the safest place it can be at the moment, now that it’s been “found” if it had never been found, it would have obviously been safer.

Tom’s got conflicting emotions that probably aren’t obvious, given what you say.

He feels he is “bluffing” these people, in regards to the Lord Tommus stuff. He doesn’t want to show weakness to “other players” in the game. Nor to people that support him. This was probably more obvious in earlier books, but he’s still doing that. So stuff happens, he tries to swing with it and pretend that was part of the plan.

So I think that is probably something I need to have him worry about more.

Tom does think something is up with Tizzy. He noted the Tiz-Arog-Dal and now the demon weed thing. But you gotta also remember that there is a lot of Tizzy insanity that we don’t see. Remember when they were all at Tom’s cave and Tizzy was having hours and hours of conversations with himself? (In many cases he was posting here in the forums)

The point being Tizzy in real life has a much much strong presence than in the books even. Meaning he really does seem to be crazy. So it’s just hard for people to believe he could be the master mind of some plot.

Now from the book thing, we know that the D’Orcs know that he is more important etc than he appears, but remember even they have a love-hate relationship with him. They are often very frustrated by him as we saw when they first show up at Mount Doom.

So anyway, Tom is suspicious of all of that. But it’s really just hard to convince onesself that Tizzy could be some sort of master mind.

[/quote]

I suppose him not asking about the whole Orcus issue because he feels like he’s faking it makes sense but it doesn’t really come over in the parts when he’s worrying about the memories. Possibly needs to be made clearer in those passages but thank you for your reply x

Will do more to bring this out.

As I’ve been going over the scene with the Nyjyr Ennead he does bring it up in his thinking. But it’s probably not strong enough across the board.

One thing I always worry about is “over doing it” but perhaps when there are so many balls in the air/different scenes/etc it is probably better to drive it home harder because it’s easy for stuff to get lost.

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.