Tom’s Thought Process

Welcome To Astlan Forums Alpha Reading Tom’s Thought Process

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    Puck

All the tricksters errwhere

Puck

[quote=Malacai;4055]Well, Tom is moving to a more administrative role, rather than a boots on the ground type. It’s also shown that the visit to the library is how he was trying to center himself (though he doesn’t really get a chance to do that), and then he goes to the DoomSpa. So, these are his attempts at relaxing, though not much of it is actually shown. He isn’t really the type to destress by fighting, though he does know martial arts. (The martial training should also be brought up at some point.)[/quote]

That monkey monk tho

LCSpartan051

I think it would be cool if whoever Tom thinks of a question or is confused by something, the Tartarus AI would respond in his head, since it never really got any lines. Maybe that would have some records of how the D’Orcing process went since it was so connected to Orcus.

Yes, that’s the definition I use.

Plants and animals definitely have animus. Most animals have some sort of sentience or intelligence, so in theory have as much a soul as a human or elf.

Are there animal gods and afterlifes? Perhaps, possibly.

As far as plants, not sure what different shaman groups or druid groups believe, there are some that probably due hold that.

I like the demon plants, I know of one demon plant at the moment. Tizzy has a garden full of them.

There are demon animals, you may remember the Courts had some odd steeds and other things.

There are a huge number of different demons, and even different classification systems. Despite their assertions to the contrary, there are other forces within the Abyss. Actually Sam admits as much in Book III.

I completely agree on Tom. Its part of his growth process to slowly become more proactive/take responsibilities. That’s ultimately a huge part of the long arc of the story.

In my mind, he is still rather shell shocked and coming to terms and things just keep piling on.

By Chapter 140, the end of alpha 0 it is DOA+15, which is 40+15 days so he’s only been a demon for 55 days, not even two months in earth time.

Great perspective!

Actually, take a look at the new appendices in terms of the multiverse. There were, in theory, multiple Tom’s but presumably they get collapsed somehow when going to the Abyss. We don’t really know for sure, but there are conjectures in the new appendices on how to deal with the many to one relationship of the Abyss and the infinite worlds of maybe. Lots of paradox issues can arise.

I have sworn off time travel, at least in terms of Rupert’s origin. They can certainly do something with it, with the World Gate, but that just gets seriously complicated.

Tom doesn’t technically have a problem with reincarnation, per se, there are plenty of people demonstrating that it is done, gods have even told him they do it. He just refuses to believe he is Orcus. For one thing, and perhaps he should “think this” if he was Orcus, what’s up with the 4,000 year delay?

How would Orcus’ animus have escaped Excrathadorus Mortis? and it’s inky blackness when he could not flee the plane? Where would Orcus’ animus have escaped to?

Yes, I think he needs to ponder these additional items.

Puck

I got to thinking about this, and what was being discussed, and it does seem plausible that seeds of orcus was scattered as/pre annihilation with Excrathadorus Mortis. I mean, if his goal was some sort of reincarnation why not stack the deck, could Rupert have just as easily been Orcus reincarnated?

Also, good good good idea on the time travel bit. it gets so messy and just ugh ><

scweeb

First of Bravo on keeping all these things going on in the book Moving. There is so much going on its kind of crazy.

For me on the Tom situation with maybe being the reincarnation is that you did a really good job of showing him having a hard time with all this evidence that he may in fact be Orcus. What kind of stuck out to me was during this time all his advisors and epically Hephaestus when they are sitting down having that long talk about the phoenix cycle is no one has set him down and said, “look I get it you don’t believe your Orcus, but if you were the reincarnation and you didn’t know would that really be such a bad thing.”

Cause it really seems to be bothering him and with all of these long lived beings I kind of would aspect more counseling from them to help him with all this mess.

Also on a side note (I haven’t check the other forum topics yet). We really haven’t seen to much of Rupert or any new progress in the Rupert/Tom situation.

Yeah, these guys are rather heartless bastards in that respect…

I think part of it is that for the D’Orcs at least, they are very accustomed to Orcus (and presumably) Tom having the answers/being in charge/the man with the plan. To them, he is a father figure, you don’t typically presume to counsel your father. Plus orcs and thus D’Orcs have never been that good with touchy feely shit.

Phaestus and Volund? they should no better, but one is a god and the other is an immortal curmudgeon…

For Tom, one big thing is that while “Ok, I’m running around with people from ADD ‘Deities and Demigods'” but “Hey, I’m actually a guy from the Monster Manual!” is very hard to swallow. Of course, we note that Asmodeus was so happy to be found in the ADD Monster Manual that he created a form to match the picture.

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.