Possible Major Changes

Welcome To Astlan Forums Read It, Been There, Done That Possible Major Changes

Viewing 9 posts - 46 through 54 (of 54 total)
  • Author

In theory a lot of the action for book 2 got pushed to book 3, on top of what was planned for book 3.

It’ll just keep coming back to what will fit and how much needs to be told between “big things” so that they make sense.

Where the Baron goes? Well hard to predict, his actions are often…”chaotic”

o:)

Rosver

Hmmm… I’m interested in #8 and #13

Looking at the list… no match. The best fit is ‘Agent of Chaos’ but it is off. Oh well.

Rosver

I haven’t vote on the name for Book 3 since I don’t know what the story of Book 3 would be. I just can’t make a decision without context.

As for the blurb, I don’t think that I, who give rather negative feedbacks, deserves to participate.

I know; not hearing much after beta 4…so just kind of going with it. It’s all at the editor; hopefully she will be finishing up in the next week or so. She was up through 106 at the beginning of the month. And of course I had some changes in 106; although most were 109 to the end.

The thing I really need at this point is for more people to vote on the name of Book 3.

That’s the one big piece of feedback I am missing.

I am writing it; at the moment the file is just called Book 3; whereas before I always named the file the title of the book.

Actually more blurb thoughts are also useful.

Rosver

@Corey:

I think, the failures of most of those are caused by bad decision. There are also tv shows, movies, books etc. that had succeed because they give in to the viewers.

It happen with the Digimon animated series. Digimon Frontier causes its popularity to drop. The Power Rangers vibe is not well liked and its plot and abundance of filler isn’t helping. The series recover when they return to human-digimon partnership format in future seasons.

Following your artistic vission isn’t always the way. The widely panned The Last Airbender is an example. Instead of giving the fans what they want and expected, Shyamalan instead opt to follow his ‘style’ to the result of extremely poor review. There will be no sequel of it for sure.

@The Author Guy

I hope you achieve that balance you are looking for.

The recent silence in the forum doesn’t give much of a clue though.

Yes, too true.

I am hoping I get the right balance. There are limits to what I can do and keep the storyline on track, and sometimes you have to grit your teeth over the screams and power through until the screams hopefully come back to cheers…

Corey

Yes. Agreement is a nice thing, though feedback is just that – don’t cave to the readers too easily 😉 There have been some tv, movies, etc. that have done that and the results are never good.

Thanks for the feedback!

For me the point of Doom is that individuals can be very powerful, but they really can’t be omnipresent…at some point to extend yourself to meet the challenges you face you have to start working with other people. Networking/team building. It’s the next logical step in personal growth.

In the real world:
    Bill Gates needed a lot of workers to take over the world, Steve Jobs need a ton of workers to take it back from the Heirs of Gates. Linus Torvolds (Linux) need an insanely HUGE army of open source ant-people to create something that that could rival Gates (and become a stepping stone for Jobs–technically OSX is BSD an open source alternative to Linux but Torvolds spurred that as well)

Tom’s challenges are a couple of different pantheons and the Courts of Chaos, the current “Establishment” over all. No one person, no matter how powerful can do it all. Which is why the gods band together in pantheons after all.

So the plan is that as Tom grows, so will his challenges and needs. Or more precisely, his opposition will come into focus/out of the woodwork.

Pretty much exactly what you are saying so cool…

Corey

Wow. Long-Time-No-Comment.

I finished reading the latest version a while ago (and tried to post a comment, but the Internet had a seizure and decided it wasn’t meant to be). Anyway…

I like Beta 4 a lot. The fight was good, but what really struck me was a sense of cohesion across the entire story. It seemed to come together as a novel much more that it has been (thus the revision process). I like that Vaselle did SOMETHING. I hopped over and read your notes on him, so it makes sense now (so he’s no longer the bastard child of Cliff Hanger and Red Herring). The Ruiden story was spot-on. Love it. Very clever, actually.

I’d like to toss in my $0.02 on Doom – just in case this is something that you’ve been thinking about. I think the all-powerful Tommus/Mount Doom combe thing isn’t necessarily bad. It’s not like the Zat’nik’tel from Stargate (the gun that was a little too convenient). Tommus was already immortal and nearly invincible as a demon. Adding Mount Doom raises the standard, but it doesn’t change the fundamental nature of his longevity – it just adds to it. If he’s able to squelch his opponents at his front door, I don’t see that as being silly or boring. I see it as an opportunity to create a stable geographic (multiversalgraphic? I’m not certain that’s a word…) location for whatever plot purposes you can surmise. Traipsing across the realms as the benevolent demon seems like an interesting direction – one that the story seems to have already started leaning towards in many ways.

Viewing 9 posts - 46 through 54 (of 54 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.