Perception

Welcome To Astlan Forums Into The Abyss Perception

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Rosver

I would still think its ridiculous.

Rosver

Yeah a funny one.

Maou

So how do you think most demons acted when seeing tom and Rupert right next to each other, and how exactly does half demon puberty work? Do they grow bigger as they mentally mature and if so what determines their demonic age?

Madfox11

[quote=Maou;1230]So how do you think most demons acted when seeing tom and Rupert right next to each other, and how exactly does half demon puberty work? Do they grow bigger as they mentally mature and if so what determines their demonic age?[/quote]

Damn, that is one big dangerous looking demon. Lets grovel and be nice so that he does not hurt me. Who is that weir little looking demon? Erm… never mind, if I look funny at it, the big one looks funny at me. Nice big demon… I am going now, ok? 😉

Somehow I doubt the average demon gives it much though 😉

Broken
    Broken

Perception seems to be a key element for a demon. When Tom was first summoned Lenamare thought that he was a first level demon but resting being bound convinced Lenamare and the others in the room that he was much higher level so because everyone knows that Level V and VI can resist being bound he must be a level IV that and Lenamare’s ego perhaps played a small part in Tom’s shaping.

People start to question Tom’s existence speculating that he must be older than he clames and also he may be a higher level demon that let himself be bound, if belief is the key element would it be a matter of convincing Lenamare his original summoner that Tom is indeed much more than originally thought? He does still have the original summoning link that formed his current state. How would an ego maniac like Lenamare take that especially after reviewing the footage of the battle between Talarius and Tom. You have The Rod craping their pants because he kicked the snot out of their guy and subverted their god. Extractor and the Counsel and most likely everyone who saw the fight questioning Lenamare. On top of that the Oorstemoth who recorded the whole thing pissing their pants. Surly only the most cunning, vile, sneaky, and powerful fiend of the Abyss could fool him right? If this is the case how would Lenamare’s perception reshape Tom?

Then you have Rupert who never transformed into a demon seeing Tom he decided that he was his father transformed into a mini version of him. After all humans look like their parents so why not demons right? Only now they share a link so will some of that bleed off into reshaping Rupert as well?
    Then you have Edwyrd who is Tom in human form. Maelen thinks that Edwyrd is a Master Animage so does his perception along with the witness who saw Edwyrd sink the Oorstemoth ship also shape and change Edwyrd?

Tizzy

Argh, I suspect you may be right on the plot…

Certain people around here (the forum) have an unusual curiosity as to where I keep my pipe. Experience tells me that if they are curious about my pipe, they are really looking for my stash!

Hmm, I wonder if there is a connection between mana and seratonin? That would explain the paranoia, and the manic depressiveness, etc.

Of course excessive use of certain smoking herbs does that as well…also causes spontaneous ingestion of Crunchberries.

If they start coming after my crunchberries, there’s going to be problems….

Not sure, but thinking Lenamare drives more people over the edge than can ever drive him over…he seems to be infuriating…

Certainly trying to work with him on this website has been a chore.

Sheesh…

Broken

The next book sounds fun psychotic episodes, booze, and plenty of smoke to be had. The real danger is seems to be from manna it seems it should come with a warning label. Warning: excessive use can cause paranoia, delusions of grandeur, and Schizophrenia. Not that these are bad things mind you.

If Lenamare is scheduled for a nervous breakdown could Tom give him a not so gentle push over the edge using the link? I mean this is the guy that destroyed his life and enslaved him? It might be a fun way to pass the time since Tom does not need to sleep, learning about magic might be easier especially if you have a burning question in the middle of the night.

By the way your paranoia and anxiety is completely justified I heard mention of a fiendish plot most foul. It involved relieving you of your reputable smoke..:-“

Tizzy

Pipes? I haven’t played my bagpipes in years, I should whip them out sometime!

That’s a great idea!

Yes, I think I understand what you mean by bridging old magics, and yes it’s very dangerous. But again, this is a topic I have to keep quiet on lest T-A-G gets grumpy.

I hope you’ve notice how condescending and rude he is. I am starting to wonder if he’s not one of the Etonians, slumming it as a mortal on an outer plane? His ego is up there with Tiernon’s and the rest of his family. Sheesh…

Maou

Where do those pipes come from?

Any way as near as I could observe Astlan is a heavily magic inclined world with somewhat stunted tech unless it can aid magic, or if it is to tedious or degrading for a mage to do the action itself. This can be seen most heavily in animagic, magic in general, and gods. How one perceives the magic heavily influences how it acts. Animagic shows how an individuals perception can shape how the manipulate the magic around them and they do get results to some extent, but collective perception shapes magic as well. Certain magics are associated with unrelated magics and this connection has come to be accepted so that now certain elemental magics influence magics outside their direct domain.

This means you could in theory link two old magics together and strengthen them through each other, but it would need to be done so that people just accept. Demons forms are created through the initial perception of their summoner and themselves. So in theory if many people believed a specific demon to be more powerful it might grow due to their magical inclination. God’s within the same pantheon also might have magics and actions they can’t perform based on the perception of their followers, and earth goddess won’t use air magics, and a fire god can’t make crops grow. God’s power within a pantheon is also roughly were the follower believe it to be. The main god is normally most powerful, and their children will be stronger than the children of the other gods.

This is why new magics are dangerous, people don’t know how truly powerful they are or how they work, so somebody could spout complete nonsense, but if it was believed for long enough it would become fact. Magic is all about perception and through its twisted image reality is changed.

Tizzy

You are clearly perceptive!

o:)

Yes, your thinking pretty much exactly parallels mine and I would say your post, in particular the second paragraph, about sums up the current state of affairs.

So, I can really only agree with your thinking, as the answers are what is explored in book 2–albeit things start to get a bit more complicated and the questions of perception and belief get deeper and thornier…

I will also note that the use of alcohol by some characters increases along with their anxiety as their beliefs get turned upside down and they start to question themselves…or their allies?????

And, I also have to admit, there are a few extreme pipe smoking moments for me as I actually have a few moments of justifiable anxiety (as opposed to my normal highly anxious paranoid state) in book 2.

Rosver

I would have found it ridiculous.

Tizzy

I suspect it’s a combination of both.

lower demons would grovel and only peripherally note the oddness although maybe later think more on it.

The really powerful ones would just think it’s a chosen fashion statement/affectation. They do stuff like that all the time.

Remember Ramses changing a bunch of his servants to look like demonic Greek creatures etc?

Tizzy

Can’t really argue…others find it that way.

Rosver

I think you do too. Well, at least you thing Rupert looks ridiculous beside Tom.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.