Next Alpha

Welcome To Astlan Forums Alpha Reading Next Alpha

Viewing 11 posts - 61 through 71 (of 71 total)
  • Author

Yes, so 6 hours difference to me.

We’ve got people around the globe at all hours on the site.

It makes it very hard to do maintenance. It’s not a huge number of people, but there are enough that I get nervous about rebooting the server while someone is in the middle of writing a very long/hard thought out post.

It really sucks to write out a really long post and then have it not saved as the system randomly hands/reboots.

Flakes

Just thinking about something. If Demons are just humans who have been conjured by a wizard, then can there not be worshipers or even priests of a diety, say teirnon, who have been summoned and demonified? If a priest of Talarion has been turned into a demon can they use god mana? Or does the link that you get from being a worshipper of a god draw you towards that god and protect you from becoming demonified?

I’m basically reading the part where the knight rampant is watching the ceremony. I know there are orc priests of teirnon on neiguard and at one point orcus made D’orcs from orcs on Neiguard. I just keep wondering how freaked out he would be to bump into a D’Orc priest of Teirnon.

Good question.

My guess is that D’Orcing, Demoning etc cuts the bindings to their deity.

1) The person has to be killed and their soul sent to the Abyss. My guess is that most spells sever all links to the individual but not sure.
    2) Once they incarnate in the Abyss, their link to the god is broken. They would still be able to do lesser priestly spells, the sort that priests in the abyss can do. E.g. Melissance & The Inferno

If they stay there long enough it won’t ever return. If they are only there for a short while and go to a different world, something would probably need to be done to reattach the link.

Now, this might be problematic for a variety of reasons. The first of which is that for many religions being a demon is an excommunicable condition. I mean, if being a ghoul gets you excommunicated? Sure being a demon would. My guess is that they would have changed/invalidated your encryption keys. Unless they are really stupid gods…

NOW: All that being said, there very well may be, and in fact, I am almost positive there are some “Dark Gods” who have demon avatars…so yes they could.

The point being is that unless all parties are “OK” with demon priests/avatars, then becoming a demon would end up getting you cut off from your god(des).

Flakes

Actually, the reason I brought it up was that they have to be in the astral plane (not killed except for D’Orcs) and when they get reformed they are still in the material plane. The actual sending them to the Abyss seems like a superfulous step. That said the change in the encryption key does make sense. And since at least D’Orcs swear to serve Orcus, well it makes sense you cannot be the servant of two masters.

We have a Temple of Doom!

Remember that’s where Tal Gor and the shamans showed up. It’s also the front room to the World Gate

The sending them to the Abyss is what completes/seals the transformation binding them as a demon. They get a material form on the material planes and then are “Bound to the Abyss” (using the title of another book that came out the same month as Book 1) It was very interesting to see how Amazon was always doing side by sides of the two books.

I think of it is grounding them in Immortality, and is the differentiater with other spells that seek to bind spirits to material form.

Skaar

What about there age, for example what happened with the shaman Karth Death Cheater, he’s said to be extremely old so after his D’Orcing and gets reborn is he somehow younger or in his Prime.

Korwin

We know, that humans of Astlan have a very, very low chance of being turned into an Demon (by chance), I think we heard that in the first book.
    But more important thing, since being turned into an undead severs* the connection to Tiernon, I imangine turning Demon** would do that too.

* I got the Impression of an automatic hacking protrection against the undead**.
    ** So since Tom a demon was able to steal the god mana, it might actually be possible.

Iume

Tom didn’t steal mana as a demon. He took it because he had a item of Tiernon (the arrowheads) which were designed to siphon mana. From the way Book 1 played out I get the feeling that anyone capable of holding the mana (okay, maybe demons and gods only) would have been able to use the arrowheads to siphon from Tiernon.

[quote=Skaar;4399]What about there age, for example what happened with the shaman Karth Death Cheater, he’s said to be extremely old so after his D’Orcing and gets reborn is he somehow younger or in his Prime. [/quote]

Historically in terms of creating D’Orcs, an “old orc” would be rather rare. Horrible way for an orc to die, old/infirm/in bed. [i]shudder[/i] Imagine the shame! How humiliating!

It’s only his body that was infirm, his spirit was still as strong as ever. His D’Orc form will/was shaped by people’s memories of him and expectations based on other D’Orc shamans….

And then…as I’m trying to figure out how to squeeze in–the ceremony was serious overkill–as many have noted–he’s going to be a kickass shaman!

[quote=Iume;4406]Tom didn’t steal mana as a demon. He took it because he had a item of Tiernon (the arrowheads) which were designed to siphon mana. From the way Book 1 played out I get the feeling that anyone capable of holding the mana (okay, maybe demons and gods only) would have been able to use the arrowheads to siphon from Tiernon.[/quote]

Presumably any animage that thought of doing it and had enough power could have done it. By and large I would suspect most would not have thought about it given cultural bias and familiarity with gods. Meaning, even if you thought about it, the thought of potential consequences would give one pause.

[quote=Korwin;4402]We know, that humans of Astlan have a very, very low chance of being turned into an Demon (by chance), I think we heard that in the first book.
    But more important thing, since being turned into an undead severs* the connection to Tiernon, I imangine turning Demon** would do that too.

* I got the Impression of an automatic hacking protrection against the undead**.
    ** So since Tom a demon was able to steal the god mana, it might actually be possible. [/quote]

Yeah, I am pretty sure most gods have unlife detection built in as part of the consecration of the priest. Unlife would break the consecration…see Holy Water etc

Demonic conversion? Well, if Holy Water works on demons, and for most gods, it would then it would probably also break the consecration of the priest.

Viewing 11 posts - 61 through 71 (of 71 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.