In regards to mana generation

Welcome To Astlan Forums The Apostles of Doom In regards to mana generation

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 53 total)
  • Author
    Racue

They would definitely be able to provide key information then. The fact that druids and shamans are able to gather mana in that fashion is at least proof of concept. Its just a question of being able to scale that up to a more industrial level in a realistically feasible fashion.

Iume

If the biomass per volume unit of a wizard is less than the equivalent volume of bacteria wouldn’t that mean that the bacteria requires more energy for life than wizards?

Of course we’re discounting the chaos/law aspect of things and how well it allows animus/mana to be freely accessed. More chaos = longer life generally speaking and bacteria seem to be pretty orderly so perhaps the extraction ratio of processed bacteria vs. processed elf (blended elf shakes? ewwww…) is not that great.

Also, sentience gives a mana boost and sapience even more. Bateria is neither sapient nor sentient so it given equal biomass (but I acknowledge not equal volume) bacteria creates less mana than a wizard (elf, human, orc, or otherwise).

GameGraphix

[quote=Tizzy;6379]So if we turn Doom into a giant theme park, perhaps we can then capture the Inferno, paint it red call the Big Red Flying Boat and offer cruises kind of like that mouse did.[/quote]

I would have thought that the color yellow would be better….then you can have a theme song for it…”Yellow Submarine”

GameGraphix

Well, why not….we already have Gravity cannons….from the space faring Orcs…

The Gravity cannons create a weaponized version of the Geomatic engines / drives (I think this is the term) on the Inferno or very similar……so, why not have spell shields that disrupt the mana frequencies…

Tizzy

Hmm, not sure where that would be, Limbo and Purgatory are very high traffic zones.

The elemental planes have no visitors since they don’t support life, mortal or immortal….

Maybe just make an Adjoining Water+LavaPark? with slides, pools, etc, the works?

Tizzy

Orcs love headbutting each other, so D’Orcs must as well, and we make it an aerial game in 3D!

It’ll be a lot more fun to watch than 3D Chess. Take that Mr. Spock! It’d be like an aerial demolition derby with a football! The QuarterD’Orc can pass up or down to his receiver!

Assign Codenames Maybe? so would making the themepark on a material plane and just connecting it to the gate network get around the problem with Moloch in a way that wouldn’t make him think Doom was trying to cut in on his action?

GameGraphix

If your looking for thoughts for the theme park…we could have a

Dragon (demon) petting zoo….

For water / lava slides – why not link them up with the portals – have it start in Mt Doom in the Abyss – go through a portal to one of the Doomalogues circle around and back through a portal to Mt Doom – we could then have the “Tunnel of Doom” lava / water slide – or maybe borrow some of those mining / ore carts and tracks from the dwarves instead of the water / lava – and have the Roller Coaster of Doom

Not related to the topic, but i was wondering where The grove and Murgatroy were in relation to shown geography of Astlan as i cant find them on what is mapped out, and also how thick are the mountains around Freehold as shown in the map as i don’t remember there being a lot of references in regards to them.

Racue
    Racue

Is sentient animus a prerequisite for elemental interactions to generate mana? If not there ate some rather obvious cheats to generating mana being overlooked. Like vast vats of thermaphillic bacteria (like you would find in a geyser or ocean bottom lava vent) that use chemosynthesis so not only would they thrive in the abyss condition but would be easily sustained on readily available elements in the abyss then run a mild electric current through it and poof no fuss no muss mana batteries.

Iume

Excerpts from Book 1 – Appendix VI, also http://www.astlan.net/Home/CouncilofWizardryLibrary/AnimusandMana.aspx

“Plants and non-thinking life forms have the lowest levels of Animus; animals have considerably higher, and sentient creatures higher yet.

As something ages or becomes more experienced, its Animus grows.

Animus by its very nature attracts Mana. The more Animus a thing has, the more Mana it attracts. Some of the attracted Mana is apparently “consumed” by the Animus and the Animus grows.

Animus must be contained or it will quickly disperse. Larger concentrations take longer to be dispersed; thus, when a plant dies its Animus tends to go back into nature rather quickly, breaking back down to other substances and perhaps back into raw Mana.

Non-magical and non-magic using creatures accumulate mana and store some of it in themselves to sustain their Animus.

Unless something else is done with it, excess Mana simply dissolves back into nature. Certain magical spells and magical creatures are capable of harnessing this Mana before it is absorbed by nature.”

This seems to imply the amount of mana generated = biomass mana generated * XP factor – mana needed for sustaining life.

Since bacteria are non-intelligent and so low mass it is very likely that the excess mana available is very low. Also the biomass of bacteria vs. the equivalent of a wizard is very very very low in comparison. It might be possible for bacteria and plants to gather a lot of excess mana that can then be harvested but I suspect the scale makes it non-profitable.

Interestingly enough this might be a method to make a self-aware Gaia planet à la Foundation series or Petaybee series. Maybe sufficient biomass results in self-aware elementals outside of the elemental planes.

Tizzy

OOOOOHHHHH!!!

I love the way you think!!!

Now that we are back in business we have some job openings for mana engineers at Doom.

You are going to be very high on the list!

I just need to snail mail you a package with some stuff from my garden so that you can apply in person at Mount Doom!

Probably need to find you a wizard as well. Hmm, not sure, maybe I can get Vasselle to summon/bind/enslave you!

Iume

IIRC in bk1 it is said/implied that all life including plants have animus. It was in… the appendices? I’d need to check.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 53 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.