How do the Gods pay?

Welcome To Astlan Forums General Questions How do the Gods pay?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Mikey

The problem with being owed favours is that you have to be in a position of power to collect, or you’ll be paid in platitudes.

If running Tartarus generates ongoing costs, as it appears to be the case, the business model would kind of require a hedge, the ability to release prisoners against a binding promise of non-retaliation, as well as some compensation.

Tartarus would pretty much have to be written in the Concords for that to happen.

Giwdul
    Giwdul

Something has been bugging me:
    Doom has an unending supply of jewls and gold (wealth).
    Doom makes it’s own mana.
    Doom has it’s own access to the material plains.

So, what the hell do the Gods pay them with, to keep prisoners in Tartarus? I can’t think of a reasonable currency that Doom doesn’t already make for itself.

Mikey

Influence?

Well, that depends on the gods and the time period.

The Olympians and some of the others with first tenants? They payed with magical assistance, supplies, mana etc to construct Tartarus, and then later Doom and then later yet, the Doomalogues. Also, someone needed to pay the Altrusians.

So it was mana, politics, land on different worlds. And later on? most importantly? Favors. Clout. Think of Doom as sort of the Clinton Foundation of the Underworld, but ran by demons that have higher standards in terms of “right and wrong”

All the stuff that Doom has, had to be surfaced later.

To be honest, the payments that Tizzy is talking about collecting on is more about calling in debt. A lot of gods owe them these favors. At the time of Orcus’ death, Tizzy wanted to call in the favors and avenge Orcus

Yeah, that’s all coming up.

One thing in the new beta is that I’ve upped Stainsberry’s presence, and people noticing his presence.

In particular, Beragamos recognizes him as an agent of the Tribunal and reports on this to Tiernon, who is not amused.

This is leaving the 5S trying to figure out if it is Orcus or the Nyjyr Ennead who called in the Tribunal. (When of course, as far as we know, neither of them did)

Because technically, killing Orcus, grandson of Zeus was a Tribunal issue, and oddly enough, they didn’t seem to care about it 4000 years ago.

Which is part of why Tizzy was wanting to release prisoners.

Iume

So much good new stuff. All expected in Beta 1?

EyeDeKay

I got a mythology question.

So tartarus, in Greek mythology was a primordial god who didn’t do much as far as I know. other than you know imprisoning titans and what not.

So Danu the alvar god is supposed to be Gaia the earth goddess from Greek mythology right?

Well after the titans were thrown in tartarus Gaia awoke from slumber and swore vengeance against the gods.

She then proceeded to get pregnant by tartarus and have the Anti Gods aka The Giants.

So sense tartarus is not a God in Doa does that mean the giant godlike beings don’t exist?

Regular giants obviously do. As does, before ragnorok jutonhiem where giants lived.

Mikey

One wouldn’t expect the Tribunal to be quite so happy-go-lucky in matters of intelligence gathering, as the 5S seem to be.

[quote=Iume;5361]So much good new stuff.All expected in Beta 1?[/quote]

The Stainsberry stuff is introduced here, the stuff with the Council etc is a good part of the Tom/Talarius story for Book 4.

[quote=EyeDeKay;5362]I got a mythology question.

So tartarus, in Greek mythology was a primordial god who didn’t do much as far as I know. other than you know imprisoning titans and what not.

So Danu the alvar god is supposed to be Gaia the earth goddess from Greek mythology right?

Well after the titans were thrown in tartarus Gaia awoke from slumber and swore vengeance against the gods.

She then proceeded to get pregnant by tartarus and have the Anti Gods aka The Giants.

So sense tartarus is not a God in Doa does that mean the giant godlike beings don’t exist?

Regular giants obviously do. As does, before ragnorok jutonhiem where giants lived. [/quote]

Sorry, When I said Danu was Gaia like, I meant in the modern sense. She’s an earth mother goddess.

Tartarus, like Hades, Pluto and Orcus are gods and places both.

I’m actually adapting the original Clash of the Titan’s mythology where Tartarus was constructed by Hephaestus.

However, the anti-gods, the giants are coming into play. Because remember, Ragnarok was a war of gods vs jutunn, the true giants.

There are mortal giants in Astlan and the other worlds. These are your fairly traditional ground based giants (not beanstalk type)

The true Jotunn are the Titan/Loki style immortal giants.

As you may recall, these guys were on Orcus’ side. Orcus has been referred to as an Atheist, all of whom question the order of the gods, some of whom want to overthrow it.

I believe you have Praelgeis explaining this to Exador in the current beta, yes?

[quote=Mikey;5363]One wouldn’t expect the Tribunal to be quite so happy-go-lucky in matters of intelligence gathering, as the 5S seem to be.[/quote]

Indeed, because they sort of the U.N. of Pantheons and obviously there will be lots of disputes and so one will need thorough answers to satisfy all parties.

Ben

[quote=The Author Guy;5358]To be honest, the payments that Tizzy is talking about collecting on is more about calling in debt. A lot of gods owe them these favors. At the time of Orcus’ death, Tizzy wanted to call in the favors and avenge Orcus[/quote]

Too bloody right!!!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.