Friendship: The Greatest Magic of All

Welcome To Astlan Forums Into The Abyss Friendship: The Greatest Magic of All

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    Mikey

http://www.amazon.com/Chopper-Eric-Bana/dp/B00005QBZA is the Australian counterpart of Bronson.

Mikey

[quote=The Author Guy;3125]People today have it too easy.[/quote]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0kgj4LWBmM&list=PLC24831172DD326DD

Exactly.

My partner’s grandfather went over to Russia to help with the glorious revolution (late 191x- early 192x) and basically ended up doing slave laborer, welding in very unsafe conditions leading to health issues later in life. As a US Citizen he was eventually able to get back home, but it took time and was quite hellish.

This is something very often overlooked by the West. We focus much on the horrors of WWII, but not much on Stalinist Russia. One was an invasion that led to horror, the other was a revolution that was usurped and turned inward to horror. People outside of the Soviet Union didn’t want to look inside; although it is not clear what could have been done in that case.

But, overall, not sure any single group of people have had it rougher and more miserable for so continuously long than the Russians. None of the Czars were nice people, serfdom in Russia was far worse than Europe. Touring the palaces of Catherine the Great and hearing those stories one is shocked, but then one goes through the Kremlin and sees and hears of far greater atrocities with the stories of Ivan the Terrible and his legacy.

Korwin

[quote=Mikey;3107]Now in great bookstores near you, Concordenax’s new bestseller

[color=grey]Friendship:[/color]
    The Greatest Magic of All

“The secrets behind my ability to
    [color=grey]make friends, influence demons, and[/color]
    RULE OVER THE ABYSS”

Translated into 37 different mythological languages.[/quote]What, no Amazon link?

Tizzy

Currently only available at http://www.Amazon.abyss

Not sure if your Internet tubes go that far…

Mikey

Your partner’s grandfather was Janusz Bardach?

I’m probably a decade younger than you, and my grandfathers fought on the two opposing sides, one in the US Navy in Pacific, the other on Finland’s border with the Soviet Union. Both armies achieved their ultimate strategic aims, one to protect against Axis aggression, the other to protect Finland’s independence from the SU.

One of them had me promise never to fight in a war.

Not quite 🙂

Think more like the story told in the Warren Beatty movie Reds. Except rather than a reporter he was a mechanic.

Well that makes an interesting family convergence then.

My paternal grandfather was in his thirties in WWII and didn’t get drafted, my maternal grandfather would have been in his twenties; you know it’s odd now that I think about it, I never heard about his military service. I sort of assumed he would have been in the military, but he would have been a farmer with a wife and kids and might have gotten a dispensation, since I have no idea how the family would have survived.

In the early 40’s my mom, as a little girl, lived on a rented farm with no running water, an outhouse (the owner was just cheap, my grandfather even offered to pay for running water and the guy said no) and wooden stoves for heat. So she tells stories of living that technologically are older than she is.

Mikey

Here’s another:

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.