Confusion

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    D’il

Well said, in true Tizzy form. [biggrin]

Tizzy

[quote=D’il;7995][quote=Tizzy;7994]
    Actually, I did the bacon thing myself. Took about 3.234 million years to get it crunchy but…very tasty….a tad time consuming though.
    [/quote]

Now you wouldn’t be giving your age away would you Tizzy? :-$[/quote]

Not at all! That would be impossible for me to do, since I have no idea how old I am! I’ve just been as long as I have been, no longer, no less. In fact, I can honestly say that I don’t remember a time when I wasn’t. Thus I have no idea when I started, since I can’t remember anything before that time.

Tizzy

Of course, you realize that was exactly what I was thinking when I wrote that.

I have to admit, that in my very short life, I have never actually tried dunking a human in interstellar vacuum to see what happens. I know, I know, we all have our regrets and our ‘bucket list.’ So that is my reference point.

I do sort of wish we had a Doomalogue on Mars. It’s a very nice planet, tad chilly, but the landscape is very homey. And no fireballs. Not sure if that’s a good or bad thing. They are very pretty, but also a bit distracting.

Actually, I did the bacon thing myself. Took about 3.234 million years to get it crunchy but…very tasty….a tad time consuming though.

Tizzy

Good points.

I would say I am not an expert on Chaos Maelstrom’s and exactly what the bubble they are in, when in a Maelstrom is. In the Abyss, they were riding with in it on horses. I am doubting they would be riding in horses in outer space. My bet is that they were in some sort of spacecraft.

Because while it is true that Tom froze them out in the Abyss, and thus it is possible they might not survive in the vacuum of space (unlike a demon for example), neither can humans. Not sure if you’ve seen what happens to a human shot out an airlock, without a space suit, but it isn’t pretty.

Anyway, the maelstrom, the inky blackness, was actually taken down by the gravity canons, not the cold. And I should point out that it was not just cold, but mana suction also. Tom was using the doomnet to suck all the heat out, AND, all the mana. Being agents of Chaos, the Knights, with sufficient mana should be able to warm themselves, and shield themselves, but Tom was actually sucking the mana out of the region also, thus depriving them of the ability to get more mana, and possibly even stealing mana they had.

So in someways, it was not unlike what happened to the avatars and Orcus, in interdiction regions. The difference was, that was cutting off energy from other planes, in this case it was sucking up all the mana in the region, keeping them from getting more, or at least slowing them down enough so that they could be weakened and killed.

It wasn’t the cold so much that killed them, it was literally Talarius, D’Orcs and Sekmekt’s forces. Tom just weakened them enough so they could be more effective.

As far as where the shaman would be to see the maelstrom, that depends on what adjacent planes, etherial and astral etc. it exists on. In terms of what a shaman can see from M-space…I am going to leave that for OOA, where that is an important factor in the story.

Tizzy

Very good point.

But don’t forget the 3 degree background radiation!

It’s not that warm, both those 3 degrees of kelvin can almost fry bacon, which is why you hear about “3 degrees of kelvin bacon!” It’s just not the necessary 6 degrees of kelvin bacon that you need.

Tizzy

It would be very hard, since there isn’t much other than radiation and very scattered infrequent matter.

Sort of like trying to order the very last 0.01% of matter.

And there are some details missing from that description, where was the maelstrom? Was it in M-space, Ӕ-space (or the ӔV) or ??

That might make a difference. In particular, as we know, there is no Ӕ-space in the Abyss and thus of course no ӔV either, of course the interesting thing then would be with no ӔV, you can’t travel faster than the speed of light in the Abyss. So, assuming it’s infinite, it could take a really really long time to get to the most remote locations. Unless of course, the speed of light is much faster in the Abyss, or, maybe there is no speed of light? But that seems like it would really screw up the physics of the place, so I would have to assume there is a speed of light in the Abyss. But I suppose it could be as fast as in Ӕ-space. Or could it? It’s the unique dimensionality of Ӕ-space that allows one to go exponentially faster than M-space light, not a per se very high speed of light, and the Abyss does not appear to have that dimensionality, so you couldn’t create the same sort of Abyssal Vortex.

Hmm. Well thank goodness for boom gates and teleportation etc. If we know where we are going, we can just hop gates or create a new gate.

Of course, if we don’t know where we are going, we can’t ever get there that way. We’d need to “know” the place to get there.

Hmm, seems like it would be mighty easy to hide in the Abyss. Who knows what’s out there?

In theory that the cold Tom used was basically a byproduct of the ordered state he imposed on the abyss, the ordered state was the objective not the actual cold its self. Whereas the cold in space is due to a vacuum which is a highly energetic and thus chaotic environment for the knights to draw power from.

My guess is imposing an ordered state in deep space would be considerably more difficult.

D’il

Hey Tizzy,

One thing I haven’t been able to figure out is the statement that Mt. Doom had multiple reports of Chaos Maelstroms in space (even though they were the Shaman’s last reports). As I’m sure you know, the temperature in the vacuum of space is at least as cold as Tom made things in the Abyss during the post-party battle. So how did the Knights of Chaos manage to win those fights rather than “cracking up” so to speak? Did they just forget to bring their thermal underwear that day since the target was in the Abyss?

Thanks,

D

I would like to point out that most people consider the word machinations to have negative connotations its true meaning is plans or possibly complex or secret plans so Beragamos may have been using it one way and everyone took it another (of course he might of planned it that way). Also, none of the 5 siblings intentionally broke their oaths as Sentir’s actions took everyone by surprise. I wonder if Lillith seduced Sentir into becoming a co-conspirator and that was how he got into this mess. I also have another question does the Demiurge have to worry about KoC’s on His Earths since they are already mana poor and his church’s practices suck up any available mana? Wouldn’t that make it almost impossible for a Maelstrom to make it to one of His planes?:-k

Tizzy

The question of who broke what Oaths is a bit complex because the avatars are sworn “Avatars” and thus representatives on a god, working on his or her behalf.

Based on my studies of mortals (and for that matter demonic politics—where this happens a lot):

It’s pretty feudal, so if a lord’s vassal breaks the lords oath, it would be the responsibility of the lord to make things “right” with the offended party, if the lord failed to do “make it right” the oath would be considered broken.

So given that Tiernon failed to punish Sentir Fallon, nor did he compensate Orcus’ people, the oath is most likely broken.

But, that is for the Lord of Oaths to decide. And I am pretty sure that’s why Tiernon and his siblings are nervous, particularly if Orcus has been plotting for the last four thousand years in secret. His retribution would be expected to be epic.

As for KoC’s. Have not heard any reports of them, but then I don’t get over there that often. Last time I was there, a quarter month or two ago, I didn’t notice any, but wasn’t looking. I should ask Sam. He would know, he spends a lot of time there, but at the moment he’s stuck in that floating tin can from Oorstemoth. Not sure they’d appreciate me dropping by to chat.

Korwin

[quote=Tizzy;7987]Hmm. Well thank goodness for boom gates and teleportation etc. If we know where we are going, we can just hop gates or create a new gate.[/quote]Hmm, I assumed (direct) teleportation is not possible in the Abyss (without the Astral Plane).
    And that the boom gates work more on the prinziple of the World-Gates (but with the beginning and endpoints being in the Abyss).

Or is the Astral Plane only in the D&D Localverse an requirement for teleportation and not in the Astlan Localverse?
    But the Abyss doesnt count as belonging to an single Localverse…?
    :-s

Teleportation works fine in the Abyss, it doesn’t actually rely on the astral plane.

Now, not all localverses have physics for teleportation, and some that do are problematic because of their topology, although that’s something one can figure out with enough time and effort and is only a problem for extraplaner people.

Boom Gates are related to “Star Gates” in that they are limited to the localverse. They are mini-wormhole type things and are again different from teleportation.

The Abyss and the Astral planes are pretty unique planes, and they definitely do touch, so things that use the Astral plane will work in the Abyss, it’s just teleportation doesn’t need it.

Where some confusion can lie is with the ethereal planes.

Ethereal planes are attached to and unique to localverses. Each localverse (or most of them) has its own ethereal plane. You can’t get to another localverse using the ethereal plane of your current localverse, it doesn’t touch those, anymore than your material plane does.

Now, this all being said, there will be a LOT more discussion and use of this in OOA:ITN. The Shamans (Trig, Thargus, Fluegel, Ismelka and others) make heavy use of both the ethereal and astral planes as part of their jobs.

The Abyss, does NOT have an ethereal plane, in the Abyss, they are sort of merged together as both “spirits” and “material bodies” can both exist in the Abyss at the same time and place. Purgatory and Limbo are similar but sort of reversed in terms of spirit/material balance.

Korwin

Interresting
    [quote=The Author Guy;8079]Now, not all localverses have physics for teleportation, and some that do are problematic because of their topology, although that’s something one can figure out with enough time and effort and is only a problem for extraplaner people.

Boom Gates are related to “Star Gates” in that they are limited to the localverse. They are mini-wormhole type things and are again different from teleportation.[/quote]
    So the Abyss is tied (and limited) to an Local-Verse? That was not clear to me before.
    :-k

No, I think the commas must be in the wrong place.

The Abyss is not at all like a localverse, the Boom Gates are limited to the Abyss, the same way the Star Gates are limited to a localverse.

I am just saying that the Boom Gates can’t be used for Demons “to escape” to the outside, to any localverse.

The existence of such devices would scare the crap out of wizards everywhere.

And, of course, even if they could be used as exits, I couldn’t say that because of the mass panic that would ensue.

The Abyss is completely unique, there is only one, it is infinite and has a lot of other “odd” properties, such as mutable physics. E.g. both magic and technology of most all localverses works fine there, at least within the limits of practicality.

And by which, I mean there are some magics and technologies that do not work there due to the other unique properties. E.g. anything dealing with the ethereal plane doesn’t work, magically or technologically, because there is no ethereal plane.

Korwin

[quote=The Author Guy;8082]The Abyss is not at all like a localverse, the Boom Gates are limited to the Abyss, the same way the Star Gates are limited to a localverse.

I am just saying that the Boom Gates can’t be used for Demons “to escape” to the outside, to any localverse.

The existence of such devices would scare the crap out of wizards everywhere.[/quote]
    Well only if they know about them.
    The question is, do they know about the World Gates in Mount Doom… [biggrin]

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 31 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.