Can Tom go Home?

Welcome To Astlan Forums The Heavenly Host Can Tom go Home?

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    Iume

That would be me. Loved SG-1, middling about SG-A, and disliked SGU which is weird because I liked Battlestar Galactica and SGU was similar.

In fact I’ve been rewatching SG-1 for the past several months. A couple episodes a week is a decent pace.

Another thing to consider is the when SG-1 came out vs. when SGU came out.

SG-1 was 1997-2007. Hercules the Legendary Journeys was 1995-1999. Xena: Warrior Princess was 1995-2001. A lot of the early seasons of SG-1 were set on primitive planets that share a lot of design aesthetic of Hercules and Xena. Later SG-1 seasons have a different off-world aesthetic that carried over to Stargate Atlantis, but with so much of SGU being on-ship and after the endings of shows like Lost and BSG I just didn’t want get invested in SGU.

Mikey

Does it have scenes as good as this?
    [youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3imjdDgutXk[/youtube]
    [youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N2JjP8ATI7s[/youtube]
    My perspective of the situation is that TV programming is so frustratingly bad that I’ve had no problems living without a TV set for the last 10 years.
    Good thing you can get The West Wing, The Wire, the first seasons of Dexter and House MD, Firefly, MASH, the House of Cards UK/US, Party Down, etc. on your average iPad.

I never watched SGA, but I have to say the SGU, Earth/Alien situation is much better than SG1 early seasons (I only got through season 1). That universe, I would also be willing to know more about. (i.e. stuff happening before they go through stargate)

[quote=Mikey;5505]Does it have scenes as good as this?[/quote]

Do you really think it is fair to put stuff up against the Wire?

Do you do Netflix?

Iume

[quote=The Author Guy;5506]I never watched SGA, but I have to say the SGU, Earth/Alien situation is much better than SG1 early seasons (I only got through season 1). That universe, I would also be willing to know more about. (i.e. stuff happening before they go through stargate)[/quote]

Oh that makes sense. Season 1 was a bit slapdash as they tried to feel their way through it. I started watching in season 2 or 3. It gets a LOT better with late season 2 / early season 3. The story is more cohesive, there is direction.

Mikey

[quote]Reggie, on the other hand would probably be too embarrassed to go back.[/quote]
    Not even for the chance to score with whomever had scorned his advances previously, or been out of his reach?

[quote=The Author Guy;5507][quote=Mikey;5505]Does it have scenes as good as this?[/quote]

Do you really think it is fair to put stuff up against the Wire?

Do you do Netflix?[/quote]

I unsubbed after having watched everything interesting available on the local edition of Netflix.

Fair? After watching enough of a series to feel that I’ve gotten a representative sample, I ask myself did the writers and producers fully subscribe to H. L. Mencken’s maxim

[quote=H. L. Mencken]No one in this world, so far as I know—and I have researched the records for years, and employed agents to help me—has ever lost money by underestimating the intelligence of the great masses of the plain people. Nor has anyone ever lost public office thereby.[/quote]

and subsequently made the conscious (note the correct usage of the word “conscious”) decision to disrespect me as a member of their audience.

[quote=Mikey;5511]Not even for the chance to score with whomever had scorned his advances previously, or been out of his reach?[/quote]

OK, in that case, but he probably wouldn’t face his parents…

[quote=Mikey;5511]and subsequently made the conscious (note the correct usage of the word “conscious”) decision to disrespect me as a member of their audience.[/quote]

That would be true for the vast majority of television, however, I do believe that premium cable, Netflix and Amazon have raised the bar in recent years have raised the bar considerably.

Stranger Things was the example this summer.
    Westworld is the current example

Actually the Netflix super hero stuff is quite good. Jessica Jones was actually rather painful to watch (in a good way)

Yeah i have to agree with Iume, SG1 is great, SG:A i never really got into, and SGU i didn’t really like. I’ve never actually seen BSG, surprisingly.
    I never had that early period of dislike for the beginning season, so either i just really like it or i had clouded judgment or something i don’t know.

My viewing path is a bit stranger than other since i’m a early 90’s guy who didn’t really have consistent computer usage until mid 2000 and then gradually switched from TV to none at all half a decade ago, so there are a lot of obscure things i’ve seen and things i should’ve seen that i have not seen.

also Canadian Cable had issues back in the day.

And yea, since Netflix was forced to stop people from seeing other regional Netflix content with VPNs it’s not that great anymore, at least in places with less coverage and “copyright” international usage crap, fucking stupid that is.

Oh by the way i can’t find a way to add my avatar Via the forum, only the website, so if there would be a way to remedy that i’d be very thankful ^_^

Those regional copyrights need to freaking disappear.

That, tied to the different regional DVD/BR encryption have driven me insane.

Avatars are a pain due to the firewall here.

The best thing to do is go to completely clean out your avatar both on the main site and this forum. (I will do this for you if you want)

and then go to gravatar.com, create an account and add the email address you use for this forum along with the associated avatar you want to use and it will show up here.

Hmm, I wonder what Netflix is going to do about those copyrights once half their US subscribers move to Canada? Or Mexico, or Australia/NZ.

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.