Book Recommendations

Welcome To Astlan Forums LitRPG Book Recommendations

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 64 total)
  • Author
    Iume

The Wandering Inn: https://wanderinginn.wordpress.com/

Persoally I found Play to Live started well enough, but I felt it went downhill after the third book.

royalroad is so full of garbage stories, hard to find good ones that dont turn to shit or die.

Mikey

While waiting for book 4, I’ve gone through quite a number of Chinese Xianxia web novels. Most of them aren’t written in a way that would express significant insight into the human mind, human interaction, or creativity.

One of the exceptions is Absolute Choice. It reads as if it was written by an adult trying to see through the eyes of a child, instead of the opposite, which seems to be the norm in Xianxia.

http://www.wuxiaworld.com/absolute-choice-index/

Gelcube

Looks like Book 2 of Ascend Online will be released March 31, 2017.

EyeDeKay

And The land book 6 came out.

GameGraphix

[quote=EyeDeKay;6622]And The land book 6 came out. [/quote]

Thanks for the heads up – just purchases it….Amazon hasn’t emailed me about the book release yet……sometimes I wonder what good the “Follow” option for authors is on Amazon – you don’t get notified about new book releases for at least a week or two after the release day…..](*,)

Looking forward to the new Ascend Online – will be a good b’day present

Yeah, my experience is that books that you are following come out and you get notified 4 or 5 days later. At the least.

I am technically following my own books and was notified almost a week later that it had come out. I have always found it rather odd, and perhaps reassuring, that even though it’s the same login for author/buyer, they can’t seem to put two and two together to realize that I really don’t need to buy my own books. Even though of course, I do so I get the full reader experience (or nightmare as the case was with the Kindle PW’s).

However, what is more annoying is they often forget that I have purchased a book and will continue to send me emails about it after I’ve bought it, read it, etc.

Mikey

I’ve come across a couple of LitRPG writers who’s work isn’t boring and predictable:

* Justin Miller’s World Seed and The Dive series.

* Travis Bagwell’s Awaken Online.

We should have a separate discussion on the topic of what makes a good fantasy book.

GameGraphix

Not sure, I’ve only seen the term ‘Dungeon Core’ used in the series related to living dungeons, such as the Slime Dungeon, Dungeon Born and this series (haven’t read any others yet)……they also use the term “Beast Core” as well – seems to be a ‘gem’ inside monsters that are collectible by adventurers once the monster has been slain

I haven’t seen these terms used in other types of LitRPG – starting to wonder if these types of books are a sub-genre of the LitRPG with their own range of specific terms…..a bit like the ‘FTL’ term is used in the Sci-Fi genre

Tizzy

So this series also refers to a Dungeon Core (I think formerly a Dungeon Heart–in some book I read a century or so ago)

It’s that now standard terminology in the LitRPG space?

GameGraphix

For those of you who enjoy books about living dungeons – such as the Slime Dungeon and Dungeon Born series….I just stumbled across a web-book based on this…..

[size=7][url=http://thesylthorian.com/wn-ma/]I Was Reincarnated as a Magic Academy by Dragomir Cristian Madalin[/url][/size]

[quote]A slightly perverted, but rather average Romanian ends up dead after being shot in the back of his head while playing his favorite game. He is then reincarnated as the Dungeon Core installed in a Magic Academy. Now, his body is the building of the Magic Academy and his role is to maintain it as well as help the students with their studies while protecting them from various outside forces. Can he do it? With those starting stats, I would be surprised if he didn’t…[/quote]

….sounds a bit strange but I’m enjoying the series so far….6 story arcs so far – 106 chapters….

Tizzy

Of course, to be perfectly honest.

Underling, lacky, toadie is not that bad of a job…

If you declare yourself to be a Dark Lord, it’s like painting a target on your back for those stupid heroes. Talarius being case in point. They are always coming after you.

As a toady, no one really cares about me, so when things go bad, I can hightail it out of there with my skin intact.

Remember the motto:

[size=6][color=red][quote]He who flees and runs away,
    Lives to flee another day![/quote][/color][/size]

Gelcube

Yeah, +1 for Ancient Ruins. That was a different take on the “Dungeon as a MC” subgenre.

For a litRPG series that isn’t litRPG, I’d check out

[url=https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0057OAXQ0/ref=series_rw_dp_sw]Sanctuary series by Robert Crane[/url]

It’s a fantasy story, but the world setup is like an MMO: classes, guilds, raiding gods planes for loot, etc., there are just never any numerical breakdowns. It’s definitely a grimdark story, and once you get past the first book, has some of the most compelling characters I’ve ever read.

Also, a new dungeonMC book is

[url=https://www.amazon.com/Ancient-Ruins-Dreams-Book-ebook/dp/B01N6SCHC8/ref=sr_1_1?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1487920719&sr=1-1&keywords=ancient+ruin]Ancient Ruins by Benjamin Medrano[/url]

A bit different from the Slime Dungeon type for again there is no leveling or ability gain breakdown, and the dungeon is already several thousand years old when the book starts.

Iume

I wonder sometimes at the similarity and differences between litRPG and superhero novels.

Both feature powerful characters who luck into powers that raise them above the common rabble. Often this is power is not earned but given through plot. If a curse it is turned into a strength. They have adventures and the behaviors/attitudes of the characters between the two genres are often alike.

Now, there are some things that are unique to each. I do not see an overlap in the settings and each has its own tropes, such as many LitRPG have a swords and sorcery setting and superhero does not, but I think someone that likes well-written superhero tales will probably enjoy well-written litRPG. Of course there seems to be a lot of poorly written litRPG vs. superhero, but the superhero genre is more mature so I am not surprised.

As such I’d recommended to any LitRPG readers the following superhero tales:
    – Confessions of a D-List Supervillain
    – In Hero Years I’m Dead
    – Please Don’t Tell My Parents I’m a Supervillain
    – Sensation (Kid Sensation)
    – Velveteen Vs.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 64 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.