Beta0 – Links from Hilda to Inferno

Welcome To Astlan Forums Beta Reading Beta0 – Links from Hilda to Inferno

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author

Great point! going to bring that up at the start of his argument …and then after we fix it….

Winter

[quote=The Author Guy;5259][quote=Giwdul;5254]So, I was trying to hash out (in my head) some specifics on how links work and I realized that there is a problem:
    Hilda is in Freehold with Trisfelt when the Inferno crosses into the Abyss. Hilda says “my links have just been cut”. Since Hilda was located on Astlan at that time, her links to her illuminaries should not have been cut when they crossed into the Abyss.
    At that point, she would have been operating as a link-relay between them and Tierhalon.

[quote]Hilda tilted her head to the side, frowning. “I am not sure…” Noticing Trisfelt’s concern, she shook her head. “Sorry, no, I myself am fine. I just have some links to some of my patients and those links were just broken.”[/quote]

Possible solution 1:
    Have Hilda be in Tierhalon when the Inferno cross into the Abyss. She looses all contact.

Possible solution 2:
    Have Hilda sense that something just changed with her links. She then goes to report and looses the links to her illuminaries on Inferno the instant she reaches Tierhalon.
    [/quote]

Nargh. This is interesting. It wasn’t so obvious before the whole relay thing came up. But it’s pretty damn obvious now.

Regardless of where she is when they go down they should come back when she’s on the material plane, people should be able to relay power to priests in the Abyss using avatars in the material planes….

Snargle.

Thanks
    [/quote]

i just figured that the abyss was sorta… firewalled against non-demonic links etc…

Neg.

This speech is right after they enter the Abyss, before they attack Mount Doom.

[quote=Giwdul;5274]Avatars do not connect directly to their various illuminaries. Rather,a part of canonization is the process of linking the new Saint to a Holy-Saintly Medallion[/quote]

You know this makes me think of Damien Dharke and his little statue. I very much like this, Not sure if it’s a medallion, although that’s very Catholic, so nice, or perhaps a crown, their “halo”

Or perhaps it is different for each Saint, part of their “Totem”/nature

It is their “Wand of Orcus”

Presumably, however, we don’t know how “small” a gateway the Inferno can produce.

Any gateway that let’s links in/out will also let demons in and out. Do they really want to risk demons going through the gate to Astlan?

Probably should, however, be a discussion point.

Giwdul
    Giwdul

So, I was trying to hash out (in my head) some specifics on how links work and I realized that there is a problem:
    Hilda is in Freehold with Trisfelt when the Inferno crosses into the Abyss. Hilda says “my links have just been cut”. Since Hilda was located on Astlan at that time, her links to her illuminaries should not have been cut when they crossed into the Abyss.
    At that point, she would have been operating as a link-relay between them and Tierhalon.

[quote]Hilda tilted her head to the side, frowning. “I am not sure…” Noticing Trisfelt’s concern, she shook her head. “Sorry, no, I myself am fine. I just have some links to some of my patients and those links were just broken.”[/quote]

Possible solution 1:
    Have Hilda be in Tierhalon when the Inferno cross into the Abyss. She looses all contact.

Possible solution 2:
    Have Hilda sense that something just changed with her links. She then goes to report and looses the links to her illuminaries on Inferno the instant she reaches Tierhalon.

[quote=Giwdul;5254]So, I was trying to hash out (in my head) some specifics on how links work and I realized that there is a problem:

Possible solution 1:

Possible solution 2:
    [/quote]

Nargh. This is interesting. It wasn’t so obvious before the whole relay thing came up. But it’s pretty damn obvious now.

Regardless of where she is when they go down they should come back when she’s on the material plane, people should be able to relay power to priests in the Abyss using avatars in the material planes….

Snargle.

Thanks

Giwdul

An Idea:

Details of heavenly architecture (school of the el-ohim perhaps?)
    Avatars do not connect directly to their various illuminaries. Rather, a part of canonization is the process of linking the new Saint to a Holy-Saintly Medallion and then, linking this HSM into the Good-Pool. As the new saint accumulates iluminaries, they are linked to the HSM.
    The HSM is usually worn by the saint to whom it belongs.
    The HSM has several functions:
    Allow the iluminaries to draw down mana while their saint is otherwise engaged (taking a dump for example).
    Provide automatic regulation of the ilumination streams for how much mana can be drawn down from the Good pool.
    Store prayers until the saint can get around to reading them.

Avatars are not allowed to take their HSM’s out of their respective outer-plains. There are two main reasons for this:
    1)If an HSM were to be stolen by a demon/enemy pantheon. It would be a huge security breach.
    2)If a HSM were to enter the material plains, every single iluminary connected to it would instantly have a direct real-time compass-reading on it.
    Exception) When high powered Avatars (Attendant archon/prophet or above) are sent in to ‘bring down the wrath of God’, they will often carry their HSM with them (this is to cover how the Avatars were still connected to their local iluminaries when the interdiction wards went up).

This could explain the disconnection in Freehold. Hilda still has her connection to her HSM but the connections between the HSM and the illuminaries have been cut.

[url=http://astlan.net/Default.aspx?tabid=388&g=posts&t=373]Info on this from TAG here[/url]

Iume

If the priests in the Inferno need more mana then couldn’t they just open a small Abyssal Gateway, pop a prayer through it, and then keep it open as they fed the mana into their spells?

Iume

Any particular reason why Tiernon’s forces couldn’t open up an Abyssal Gateway, ping their illuminaries, and them to GTFO of the Abyss?

So long as they don’t go through is it a violation? Might be a bit too much bending of the intent of the rules though for Tiernon’s folk, but I suspect Torean wouldn’t mind. They didn’t even try to reach out to the Naverson gods.

Rescuing people from either realm is a violation of the balance. If Tiernon and his avatars do it.

But…as long as Lilith and Sammael didn’t notice them doing so.

Of course with Sammael on the Inferno, I’m betting he would notice.

But here’s the thing, the Inferno can return at any time. Actually, they should probably send such a message back, or think about it at some point.

I mean I confess that given Tom knows Sammael is on the Inferno, if he’s still feeling pissed, he might suggest doing exactly that to Tiernon.

[sneaky]

Chapter 125 when they are discussing the problem with the assembled priests in the hold:

“It means that we are cut off from Tiernon and his avatars. As long as we are in the Abyss, we will have to rely on the mana we have with us, and that we can generate and maintain here.” Barabus told them. He noted Diocate Temerlain nodding behind him. Temerlain was the senior member of the Church on this mission. One of Iskerus’ most trusted lieutenants.

As expected there were a number of mutters and groans at this news.

[color=blue]“Why can’t we just keep a gateway open so our links work?” One of the priests yelled to them. Barabus blinked, that sounded quite reasonable.

He looked to the Chancellor.

“Uhm, yes. Three issues. First, we do not have the mana resources to keep a gate open perpetually. Secondly, we can’t move the gate, so the Inferno would have to stay in one place and finally, our gateway generator creates a hole large enough for this ship to traverse. If we were to leave such a large hole open in reality, eventually demons would find it and pour through to Astlan. As you can imagine, that would not be good.” The Chancellor explained.

Barabus inhaled deeply, that certainly answered that question.

“However, do not fear! [/color]Chancellor Alighieri has generously opened the treasury on board the Inferno to provide us with gemstones from which to create Holy Mana Pools. Furthermore, to ensure the success of our mission, Wing Arms Master Heron has asked the crew to, in good faith, join us in worship services so that we may accumulate mana from more sources and store in mana pools for use by our priests.”

That was my original sort of thought some time ago but I had to revise it to flush it out logically.

Going to address this on the Inferno.

GameGraphix

I don’t think that they can open a portal because it was damaged by the gravity cannon blast…..I don’t know if they managed to fix it…

[color=blue][b]Chapter 131 – The Inferno[/b]
    “So perhaps it would be best that we now return too Oorstemoth for repairs?” Sir Samwell suggested.
    Chancellor Alighieri sighed, before replying. “If you had been paying attention, you would have realized that our trans-dimensional vortex manipulation engine was damaged, several runes were cracked along with forty-three other issues in regards to the engine. We are not able to shift planes until we resolve all of those issues.”
    “And there are numerous other related issues that also have to be repaired before we can travel the multiverse again.” Captain Cranshall added.
    “Not the least of which are our geomantic drives.” Stevensword stated. “The Abyss is, you must admit, Sir Samwell, a very precarious place and without our full mobility, we are but perched pigeons.”
    Sir Samwell twisted his lips and grimaced. “So, we are stuck here for a bit.” He sighed. “Well, I’ve been stuck here for fourteen hundred years; I suppose another hundred or two won’t be that bad.”
    Barabus’ stomach clenched at the knight’s disturbing assessment.[/color]

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.