Beta 1 – The AARCs

Welcome To Astlan Forums Beta Reading Beta 1 – The AARCs

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author

One thing that makes some sense, but I don’t know what it would stand for would an “avatar’s HALO”

Heavenly
    Link
    Operator

??

Heaven
    Link
    Originator

??

HALOS

Heaven
    Link
    Operation
    System/Service

???
    HALOE

Heaven
    Link
    Operation
    Engine

Really need a now beginning with O that will work.

Well, the other, shorter name is ARC Avatar Response Center, you know like the thing you keep stuff in that melts the faces off of nazi’s.

GameGraphix

[quote=The Author Guy;5730]

Now, as to what we call it? AARC ARC Proxy Reliquary ???? [/quote]

How about…

Seraphic Arcae or Seraphic Feretory

[b]Seraphic[/b]
    adjective
    1. of, like, or befitting a seraph.

[b]Arcae[/b]
    noun, plural [ahr-see]
    1. a chest for valuables, used in medieval Spain and Italy.

[b]Feretory[/b]
    noun, plural feretories.
    1. a container for the relics of a saint; reliquary.
    2. an enclosure or area within a church where such a reliquary is kept.
    3. a portable bier or shrine.

at the start of chapter 123

Stevos should mention the AARC while he’s talking to Teragdor about saint school.

how one of the things they learn is how to use an AARC.
    also how it came to be.

like that there was an avatar/archon with 150 Illuminaries some of who happened to get caught up in a major battle.
    and about 2/3 were killed because he couldn’t channel and approve mana use to his priests fast enough.

after that Tiernon contacted another pantheon and got plans for the AARC.

[quote]
    ordination
    /ˌɔːdɪˈneɪʃən/
    noun
    the act of conferring holy orders
    the reception of holy orders
    the condition of being ordained or regulated
    an arrangement or order
    [/quote]

Heaven
    Link
    Ordination

??

Iume

First, I had this alllllllll typed up. Then the forums signed me out, told me access denied, and I lost my post. Gah! So, the shorter version…

The way the AARCs are introduced and used is awkward. They weren’t in book 2 and in book 2 we establish that there personal links between Hilda and her illuminaries. If there are [b]personal link[/b] then why wasn’t she able to use those links to contact those aboard the Inferno? Yes, the AARC is a no-go. Their prayers would not reach Tierhallon. But personal links should have worked.

Also, with Hephaetus in the Abyss so often he must have a lot of trouble staying in communication with the dwarven avatars. Liliths demons must have panicked or at least noticed when she went dark because she traveled to Tierhallon.

Was the link cutting problem ever established in book 2? I know that we showed that prayers cannot extend from the Abyss to Tierhallon and that those in the Abyss cannot access their godpool or pantheon pool. Beyond that I do not recall anything.

[quote=fallen_one_84;5729]at the start of chapter 123

Stevos should mention the AARC while he’s talking to Teragdor about saint school.

how one of the things they learn is how to use an AARC.
    also how it came to be.

like that there was an avatar/archon with 150 Illuminaries some of who happened to get caught up in a major battle.
    and about 2/3 were killed because he couldn’t channel and approve mana use to his priests fast enough.

after that Tiernon contacted another pantheon and got plans for the AARC.

[/quote]

That is a great idea! It’s an ideal opportunity to introduce whatever we call it! I really like moving it there because it actually makes a ton of sense! Wow! Great idea!

Now, as to what we call it? AARC ARC Proxy Reliquary ????

Iume
    Iume

AARC = Avatar Automated Response Center. This is done once in Chapter 123.

Honestly it really should be replaced with another term much like we say Wand of Orcus rather than the WoO. Reliquary, terminal, prayer station, prayer queue, et cetera would work better.

LCSpartan051

What does AARC mean? never saw the explanation. But I’m sure Hephaestus has some advanced techno-magic device that handles his AARC stuff for him when unavailable. Plus I’m sure that he could just open up a mini-portal to the plane he needed to communicate to and just send signals through that. Lilith would do something similar, plus her underlings don’t expect her to fed them power all the time. Its not like she has a god-pool or something like that.

have him introduce it as a relic he’s basically going to have explain what a computer is to Teragdor.

the artificial avatar relay computer/controller.

or some other words.
    whatever someone else comes up with.

when Teragdor asks him why Stevos is telling him all this.
    he would reply that in a hundred years he will have to learn about it any way he’s just giving him a heads up.
    since Teragdor an apostle he’s almost automatically gonna be a saint by then.

he should also tell of some false positives that happened when they were working the bugs out of it.

like there was a priestess who mistakenly called down meteors to kill a abomination.

sure it was bit overkill for a cockroach.

Burien

Wonder if Orcus had something similar for his shamans and warlocks.

[quote=Burien;5747]Wonder if Orcus had something similar for his shamans and warlocks.[/quote]

The question will come up.

Heaven
    Link
    Orchestrator

??

Heaven
    Link
    Organizer

??

Heaven
    Link
    Observer

??

Heaven
    Link
    Optimizer

That last one makes a lot of sense. I like that.

One really good reason for using HALO is so that Tizzy can explain that:

“If an avatar wants to come down to the Abyss they need to check their HALO at the door!”

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.