Anti-Tommus intelligence analysis

Welcome To Astlan Forums Read It, Been There, Done That Anti-Tommus intelligence analysis

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Mikey

But let me tell you: it was a terrible decision to build a prototype on an Android development platform with tight time constraints, instead of either of the Linux solutions I mentioned earlier.

We spent most of our time trying to get the Android BLE libraries to work as intended, as the Android devkit manufacturers hadn’t deigned to send any samples beforehand.

It made me grateful to normally work on service architecture and server software, at least here we have pretty sane and stable platforms to build on.

Exactly. He’s obviously lying about being new.

And this is actually how the real world works. Groups of people establish their own “facts” (previously known as opinions) and run with those “facts” regardless of other people’s “facts” or observable reality.

What gets scary is when everyone agrees on those “facts” and there is no room left for questioning.

So this is why “[url=http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CH0USHG/ref=cm_cd_asin_lnk]The Orc of Many Questions[/url]” grabs my interest as well.

Mikey
    Mikey

I very much enjoy the description of how it really doesn’t matter that much if Tom reveals his lowly origins as a recent recruit, since after a certain point, the opposition isn’t going to listen to intelligence reports which don’t support their previous actions, anymore.

In general, these Astlan works are a very positive detour from the works of the kind naive fantasy authors who describe worlds in which different groups of people somehow magically pretty much agree on a set interpretation, historical or contemporary, of events.

Mikey

I wish I had the time to read “Orc” this weekend, but instead I must evaluate Intel Edison vs. Raspberry Pi B 2 as IoT development platforms. 🙁

Haven’t tried Edison want to; just haven’t had time to play with it, nor P2B+. Actually haven’t done “microcontroller” stuff for over a year; I just keep tripping over my toolbox full of add on toys.

The Pi 2 B is absolutely insane in terms of what it packs compared to earlier stuff. I started with mc’s about 2 years ago for building my own environmental monitoring systems but I am moving slower than the technology.

Mikey

In spring, I was part of a team which won a IoT hackathon using Bluetooth Low Energy sensors, and even since then, what’s available on the market has multiplied several times over.

For $24 you can get a Bluetooth Low Energy enabled Arduino sensor platform at http://punchthrough.com/bean-teaser

Its big brother https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1966384672/a-bluetooth-arduino-for-the-mobile-age-lightblue-b will be available soon, and this time it’s rechargeable from USB.

If you’re building remote sensor platforms for say, temperature or humidity, this is the way to go.

What I’m evaluating the Intel Edison and RPIB2 for currently is a BLE base station which controls a number of these sensors, and pushes their data over to a cloud event / queue handler, such as the AWS products, the IBM MQTT and event stream offerings, or just your own MQTT or RabbitMQ server and one of the many new products which specialize in saving time series data from IoT sensors.

It’s really fascinating how fast these things are moving. When I was starting in the business, a couple of decades ago, there would have been no chance whatever that you could pick out all the stuff you need for a development kit for a few hundred bucks at the most. We’re in the future.

[img]http://i.imgur.com/8cSwmkI.png[/img]

The Edison SOC has an Atom, WiFi, 1 GB of memory and 4 GB of SSD integrated on the tiny chip.

Yeah, I started with the Arduino’s and that is what I’ve mainly used for the sensors, but I then moved to the Pi for little mini servers; it’s just so much easier to have a regular OS to build on; particularly for a min-webserver or other services. RabbitMQ being the perfect example. It’s great for this. Traditionally I always used MQ Series (aka Websphere MQ) or MSMQ for things with very high transaction volumes on larger boxes; but RabbitMQ is great, and I love its low overhead.

I am purposefully trying to not look at Edison because I know it will suck me back in; particularly with the Arduino breakout boards for shields.

I can seriously imagine. I do Android/iOS apps using Delphi/RadStudio and just doing “normal” apps can be tricky, the platform is so perpetually “almost there” but not that full featured, and the ground keeps changing out from underneath you; I imagine doing telemetry would be quite problematic.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.