Alpha Reporting – Chapter 126

Welcome To Astlan Forums Alpha Reading Alpha Reporting – Chapter 126

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Author

Does he say that someplace already?

This is why beta demons are so important…I have trouble remember what has “currently been said” and what “has not”

Iume

[quote=The Author Guy;4267]
    Let me look more into the timing of the Nysegard adventure. I believe this is after a couple oaths on Talarius’ part. At one point, Talarius has basically agreed to the rules of Hostage and in medieval sense, that means he won’t try to escape.
    [/quote]
    Yep, Talarius swore the oaths of hostage in book 2.

[quote=The Author Guy;4267]
    Tom, of course, knows that Talarius can’t escape on Nysegard, there is no where for him to go, there are no Tiernonites on the Isle of Doom; but as far as “contacting Tiernon” part–not sure that it didn’t just slip his mind. He really is not used to clerical types and their relationship to their gods. And even from what he does know, Talarius is a warrior, not a cleric, so he probably really didn’t put all the pieces together.

The thing to remember is that Tom is overwhelmed and quite frankly Talarius is as much a pain in the ass as anything else. Despite what others might think, he only abducted Talarius on the spur of the moment to “teach him a lesson”

However, this has been brought up a few times, so I should probably put more of Tom’s thinking in there.
    [/quote]

Actually I brought up the line about Tom’s worries because it was specifically in regards to Nysegard. The way it reads is basically that Tom doesn’t want Talarius on Nysegard because Tom believes it would allow Talarius to contact Tiernon.

[quote=Iume;4263]
    This seems like Tom’s interpretation of what the D’Orcs told him about fighting on Nysegard, but did they really “worry” about things like politics, diplomacy, and peace when NOT on Nysegard? It implies they did.

Also, wishy-washy not wishy washy.[/quote]

Yes, I think that is a very good point. It needs to be more clear cut. The orcs do not care about diplomacy, they hate it in fact. They do care about politics because as they see it, politics is a tool used by the other side to try to hem them in.

Let me look more into the timing of the Nysegard adventure. I believe this is after a couple oaths on Talarius’ part. At one point, Talarius has basically agreed to the rules of Hostage and in medieval sense, that means he won’t try to escape.

Tom, of course, knows that Talarius can’t escape on Nysegard, there is no where for him to go, there are no Tiernonites on the Isle of Doom; but as far as “contacting Tiernon” part–not sure that it didn’t just slip his mind. He really is not used to clerical types and their relationship to their gods. And even from what he does know, Talarius is a warrior, not a cleric, so he probably really didn’t put all the pieces together.

The thing to remember is that Tom is overwhelmed and quite frankly Talarius is as much a pain in the ass as anything else. Despite what others might think, he only abducted Talarius on the spur of the moment to “teach him a lesson”

However, this has been brought up a few times, so I should probably put more of Tom’s thinking in there.

Tactically, from the point of view of a true Demon Prince, allowing Talarius out into Nysegard would be a huge mistake. In theory, Talarius could call down an avatar right to the isle of Doom.

Now, in point of fact, he can’t, because if he could, Hilda etal would just pop up on the Isle of Doom, grab him and go. But Tom doesn’t know this.

The big thing is that Talarius is not a priest, he is not an illuminary, and they can’t get a good lock on him like they could a priest in Astlan or even one in the Citadel. They just know he is somewhere on Nysegard. Also his prayers are being routed through Astlanian saints and avatars, not anyone from Nysegard, and even if it was, none of the saints/avatars of Nysegard are that familiar with the Isle of Doom.

So basically, the avatars would be flying blind/taking pot shots trying to find Talarius on the Isle of Doom and its infested with D’Orcs and orcs and others, so it’s a bit risky.

I think i need to explain this some more in the scene where they locate him on Nysegard.

Not sure.

It’s a question of how much/how soon do people want?

The last 20% has not increased much, yet. It’s been editing/fixing things as pointed out and adding a few new scenes.

We probably need to do a scale or versioning so people can judge if they want to “look/reread”

So if first I was Alpha 0; I am now at Alpha 0.5?

Or something like that. I am absorbing feedback and trying to address, but it’s a multiple pass approach. I know I can’t address everything in a single pass.

A lot of this stuff needs to percolate in my brain for a few days to figure out the best approach.

Iume

You could just replace the final “the D’Wargs” with “of their legendary steeds” or “legendary xyz”.

Iume

Spot on.

I am thinking of releasing Alpha 1 tomorrow that will have an assortment of changes based on suggestions, including several new scenes that go into more detail that we’ve been discussing, and a little bit further towards the end.

Ben

[quote=The Author Guy;4289]Not sure.

It’s a question of how much/how soon do people want?

The last 20% has not increased much, yet. It’s been editing/fixing things as pointed out and adding a few new scenes.

We probably need to do a scale or versioning so people can judge if they want to “look/reread”

So if first I was Alpha 0; I am now at Alpha 0.5?

Or something like that. I am absorbing feedback and trying to address, but it’s a multiple pass approach. I know I can’t address everything in a single pass.

A lot of this stuff needs to percolate in my brain for a few days to figure out the best approach.

[/quote]

Ah feeling sad knowing the last 20% hasn’t increased much but good to know your doing well with additions/re-writes

It’s a hard choice. When ideas are fresh, I like to get them down while thinking about it.

Plus if I rewrite something that can affect later scenes, or know I’m going to be doing that, I like to get that done before writing the later scene.

If I write the later scene with the “plan of going back” to fill in some context to justify the scene and then I never get to that point/say distracted, then it gets missed.

All that being said, some of the rewrite stuff takes multiple passes. There are some things I can start on, but that need to percolate before I can write, and in some cases later scenes will help inform the earlier scenes.

It’s really not a science, particularly in beta mode, where I am still figuring it out. This all goes much faster than the first book, which never had any sort of deadline, I just kept writing and rewriting literally for years.

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.